PDA

View Full Version : Sporting clays with a repro 20ga.

Kenny Graft
06-06-2009, 08:49 PM
I have been shooting sporting clays for several weeks now with my DHE 20 repro...PG-DT-SF 28" M/F Our club has registerd shoots and offers a difficult set of stations with several birds at 35-40 yards crossing fast, with a couple mini-s and a double thrown in for good measure. We shoot even stations one week and odd stations the following week. I can do well at better than half the stations and fail badly at a couple that drag my score down. I know my worst offence is shooting behind the birds and will work at that flaw. My average is arround 30 of 50 I also shoot low gun like you would in a hunting situation. I have a great time and the scores are of no merit as we are lone shooters. I would like to get into the 45 of 50 range by summers end if that is possible with my 20ga. The parker repro is working like a clock and the receiver is turning a very nice shade of antique silver. It realy looks nice on the rack! Next year Ill try a 12 or 16 for the summer and compair scores. The big test will be in Michigan on wild grouse this october.....(-: Thats why I realy shoot this game. thanks all Kenny from Ohio...

hugh rather
06-06-2009, 11:13 PM
Those 45-50 yarders eat me alive, so do springing teal .There's no substitute for regular practice ;it really pays off in hunting season.Good luck and good shooting.

Dave Miles
06-07-2009, 07:38 AM
Kenny, There are No Grouse in Michigan. :)

Kenny Graft
06-07-2009, 07:51 AM
Last year had 10 flushes per hunt and 25 on a great day?? The state bioligist claims grouse are on the up swing. I have had reports of good numbers in PA mountains? May look into that as well. Less than five months till october...(-:

Gregory Miller
06-15-2009, 08:00 PM
Typical winning scores at a SxS match are usually around 80%, so if you can get to 40 you should be pretty close to the top at even championship events. I know Olympians who routinely shoot 90% with o/u race guns, but...

1. Mod/Full chokes are pretty tight for the fast short crossers and rabbits. Do you carry some 9s to open the pattern when you get a 20 yards shot. And, do you know the trick to shoot a little low on rabbits and let the debris kicked up supplement the pattern. Some of the guys in the club mix their own special spreader loads for the fast short crossers.

2. Competitive clays courses tend to combine shots where you need a lot gun of speed, and recoil is not your friend. If you are playing to win, you might want to speak to the guys at RST about some of their loads. Light recoil for fast recovery and top grade components.

3. As to shooting behind, join the club. :banghead:

4. As to Teal, if they are straight up, it is just a parlor trick. You visualize where they stop, and just move your gun very slightly and pop them. If they are doubles take the lower one first then move up as the second higher target hits the top of its arc. If they are compound curving away, leads can tough to judge.

If you do start hitting 90%, come help us get our $50 back from the Fox Gang!:crying: We was hussled.

Kenny Graft
06-15-2009, 11:00 PM
That was sound advice...thank You. And the score thing will help build confidence....(-: I am getting better at it...and its still fun!!!

allen newell
02-08-2024, 07:45 PM
When we lived in Minford, Ohio on Rase's mountain, I could walk out back and hunt grouse all day long. God, those were the days!