PDA

View Full Version : Powder question

Angel Cruz
08-09-2012, 12:53 PM
I've been thinking about dipping my toes into the pool of reloading. As with everything esle I know about hunting and guns and stuff, I learn by doing a lot of reading and asking a lot of questions. And I love this place because I know I will get a lot of answers.
Okay the question. Out of all the componets that go into making a good shotgun shell, would I be correct to say you start with the choice of powder your gonna use and then every other component has to be matched to that powder??:corn:

Bill Murphy
08-09-2012, 01:52 PM
The starting point is determining the type of load you are most interested in loading. If the gauges and types of load do not differ too much, you may be able to make one powder serve all your purposes. If you choose to use, let's say, an Alliant powder, get the Alliant manual in front of you to select some loads that may be suitable for one powder, or maybe two.

Angel Cruz
08-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Yeah, right, but after you chose the powder then everything else feeds off of that???

Paul Harm
08-09-2012, 02:34 PM
Kind a. Never thought about it. I shoot just clays, so all my loads are less than 1oz. And of course because I shoot just old SxS's they're low pressure loads. They're easier on the gun stocks and breech. I've always used the IMR powders [ but there are many others to serve the same purpose ] and there are many low pressure loads with 700X, PB, and 7625 just to name a few. This is for 12ga. Clays or Clay Dot is good in 12 or 20ga for low pressure. It's a combination of powder, wad, and shot volume. Any primer but Federal is mild and about the same. If you want to save some money use Promo, it loads the same as Red Dot and is about the cheapest. It is the same as Red Dot only dirtyer. Clay Dot is next for price. We also use Claybuster wads because they're cheaper than factor wads and do as good. www.hodgdon.com will give load data and www.claybusters.com will also give data. You want to shoot black powder use only paper wads and get them at www.circlefly.com - hope this helps. Cheddite primers will sub for Win, Rem, or CCi's. They're also cheaper. Good luck - any questions let us know.

Paul Harm
08-09-2012, 02:48 PM
I'm sorry, the Claybuster web site I listed isn't for Claybusters itself. http://www.claybusterwads.com/ is the correct web site.

Rich Anderson
08-09-2012, 07:58 PM
Angel don't mix and match your componets. Compression formed hulls such as the Win AA and Rem STS are pretty much the same but the Win HS hull uses a special HS wad. Shotguns arn't as finickey as centerfire cartridges but if you going to load low pressure shells than a change in primers for example can change pressure.

If your going to load 2 1/2 inch 16's for your hammer guns i can pass along some usefull information. Also there is a web site devoted to the 16ga, it's called the 16ga society and they have a lot of good info.

I'm currently loading low pressure 2 1/2 12's,16's & 20's and working on a low pressure 2 3/4 inch 20ga load using Alliant 20/28 powder. If I can be of any help just let me know.

Angel Cruz
08-09-2012, 08:17 PM
Thanks Rich. I will take you up on the offer when the time comes. I did check out the 16ga society.

Paul Harm
08-10-2012, 09:38 AM
Rich is right about the Win HS hulls - they need a different wad. The Claybuster web site shows which of their wads will replace factory wads and save you about 50%. Their wads usually produce a lower pressure than the factory wads they're replacing. And when loading low pressure loads there isn't a lot of difference in pressure between the different primers if you exclude Federal or magnum primers. The Cheddite, Remington, Winchester, are all pretty close. If useing Federal hulls there are many low pressure loads useing Federal primers. Find a load you like and let us know.

Pete Lester
08-10-2012, 10:08 AM
In my experience, which is now going on 40 years of reloading shotshells my choice of components was driven by what I had or could get in the way of empty hulls.

Paul we do need to be careful with primer substitution. As you can see in the attached link a simple change from Rem 209P to Win 209 in one particular load resulted in a 2400 psi increase (7040 vs 9400 psi).

http://www.armbrust.acf2.org/primersubs.htm

Angel Cruz
08-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Thanks for all of the good info guys. Pete, I made sure to pay attention to all the readings about what happens when you substitude primers. I know that's one thing I won't be doing. I'm gonna stick to those tables and formulas.

Pete Lester
08-10-2012, 10:30 AM
Thanks for all of the good info guys. Pete, I made sure to pay attention to all the readings about what happens when you substitude primers. I know that's one thing I won't be doing. I'm gonna stick to those tables and formulas.

Angel, I believe with experience comes knowledge and wisdom. I recommend any new reloader stick to published recipes. I will admit I have deviated and experimented, especially with the 10ga. The important thing to realize is that changes in components can have an effect and to know what direction your change is likely to take you, up or down in pressure. Get to know your gun and your loads, if things don't feel or sound right stop shooting and take corrective action. Have fun, reloading is satisfying and really lets you custom tailor loads to these great old guns.

Angel Cruz
08-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Thanks Pete!!!

Jerry Harlow
08-10-2012, 12:38 PM
Angel,

Go to any shop that sells powder. There should be free manuals there from IMR, Alliant, and DuPont. They will list the hulls by gauge and the loads. New manuals show pressure in psi. Choose the load you want, and go for it just like it is written and you cannot go wrong.

You will enjoy reloading, it is relaxing, until you are loading at midnight for the next day's hunt as I often find myself doing.

Angel Cruz
08-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Thanks Jerry, that will be my first step. Getting the powder.

Pete Lester
08-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Angel,

Go to any shop that sells powder. There should be free manuals there from IMR, Alliant, and DuPont. They will list the hulls by gauge and the loads. New manuals show pressure in psi. Choose the load you want, and go for it just like it is written and you cannot go wrong.

You will enjoy reloading, it is relaxing, until you are loading at midnight for the next day's hunt as I often find myself doing.

Or you can stay right at home and get the recipes for free off the powder company web sites.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Dave Suponski
08-10-2012, 02:00 PM
I agree with Pete. This is good sound advice. Have fun Angel. A whole new world is about to open up for you. I enjoy reloading.

Fred Preston
08-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Angel, If you don't already have it, I would suggest Lyman's "Shotshell Reloading Handbook". It fully describes the tools, processes and components as well as loading data for the various guages and loads. I have the 4th edition and still use it regularly.

Angel Cruz
08-10-2012, 03:20 PM
I knew I should have when with that one. I got the ABCs of reloading and its not what I really wanted. Thanks again for all the advice and encouragment. I took the first step. I got a reloader, a Ponsner-Warren 375C.

Pete Lester
08-10-2012, 05:03 PM
I knew I should have when with that one. I got the ABCs of reloading and its not what I really wanted. Thanks again for all the advice and encouragment. I took the first step. I got a reloader, a Ponsner-Warren 375C.

They say a picture is worth a 1000 words. A video is probably worth more. I could not find one using the P-W 375 but here is one covering the basics of shotshell reloading using a single stage MEC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zljerM8bMv0

Angel Cruz
08-10-2012, 05:11 PM
Thanks Pete!!

Rich Anderson
08-10-2012, 08:24 PM
Are you going to reload 2 1/2 inch or 2 3/4 inch shells? It can make a difference in what press you use.

Angel Cruz
08-10-2012, 08:33 PM
Strictly 2-1/2 low pressure loads. The press is set up for 16ga, 2-3/4 so I have to get the 2-1/2 set up. But I need to decide on the powder first.

Rich Anderson
08-10-2012, 08:42 PM
Are you sure it can be adapted for the shorter shell? IMR 7625, Galandi wad, Win 209 primer and a Chedditte hull. The RST hulls are wonderfull to reload and I scrounge them at every shoot I go to. If you want some let me know as I can spare a few hundred.

Angel Cruz
08-10-2012, 08:45 PM
Yes, no problem doing that. Just buy the part. What kind of pressure you get out of that recepie? I'll let you know about the hulls, thanks.

Rich Anderson
08-10-2012, 08:47 PM
I think its 1100 FPS and 6500PSI. I can check to make sure but I have used this load for years.

Angel Cruz
08-10-2012, 08:48 PM
6500.... sweet...

Angel Cruz
08-10-2012, 08:56 PM
Here' a nice table for that IMR 7625
Never mind, the link did'nt take but I got a few good low pressure formulas.

Rich Anderson
08-10-2012, 08:57 PM
I just went and checked (thats two trips to the other side of the house and down the steps to the basement in two posts...whew). the 1oz load is 1150 FPS and 7400PSI the 7/8 oz is 1200 FPS and the pressure stays at 7400PSI. This is a very nice load esp the 7/8oz. In my English hammer gun the is no noticable recoil and the lifter likes it also. Very nice to shoot and will flat crush a target IF you do your job:whistle:

Angel Cruz
08-10-2012, 09:00 PM
Yeah, I'm sticking with the 7/8 oz. loads for now. I hope to bust a lot of clays:whistle:

Rich Anderson
08-10-2012, 09:04 PM
Daryl Coruna has been talking very positively on the use of 3/4 oz loads. I know he using them in his 20 and 12 loads but not sure with the 16 yet. I'm going to try them in a 2 3/4" 20ga load. I can crank them out on a Mec 9000:)

Angel Cruz
08-10-2012, 09:12 PM
Shoot, I was reading something on that, where the heck was it???

Daryl Corona
08-10-2012, 09:43 PM
Ah yes! The sweet 3/4oz. load. I'm working on a 3/4oz. for the 16ga. as we speak. I need to run a few hundred through different guns before I settle on a load. If it works so well in a 12 and a 20, why would'nt it work in a 16? These are some of the questions in life that need to be answered. Angel, you'll either love reloading or you'll curse the day you started. You've got lots of support here.:bigbye:

PS.- Rich, Tear -em up with Gunners new gun tomorrow!

Angel Cruz
08-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the support Daryl.

Rich Anderson
08-10-2012, 09:50 PM
Thanks Daryl, I'll give it my best shot.:biglaugh: i've only mounted the gun at imaginary targets say....5000 times since Tuesday:)

Pictures will be available soon.