PDA

View Full Version : New Member from Mt

Jim Bennett
08-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Friend got me into side by sides and away from o/u (Browning Superposed 12 and 20) for ease of selecting chokes. Made perfect sense to me.
First sxs was an Elsie 16. Heavy as hell but I shot great with it.

Bought a Parker from Little Johns' auction in 16 ga. Turns out to be a VH "0" frame. Got lucky. It has some stock issues but is my favorite.
It started my quest for more.

Second was purchased at a pawn shop in Spokane. A beautiful Damascus #1 framed 12; 26 in. w/twin ivory's in original condition (but not much color) f/m.

Third was a #1 frame VHE 16 ; 28 in. ; nice original condition w/ about 25% case as my Az Dove gun.

#4 Kept searching for the elusive "0" framed 16 ejector gun until a Vegas show when I stumbled onto one in the lobby at the Riviera. Straight grip too. Unfortunately it had been opened to I.C./I.C. It's being restored with new wood and finish. Should be able to use it this fall.

#5 Came to me at the last gun show. It's a VHE 20 ; 26in. straight grip but new wood and refinish. Don't know why they refinished cause it hasn't been fired much at all. Must have been poorly cared for and developed some rust.
Unfortunately the barrels were cut and safety removed to use as a skeet gun I guess. It also has a beavertail forend. Refinish was very well done just don't know what to do about the C/C barrels. I just can't bring my self to put in some thin-wall chokes. That would be almost as bad as having a single trigger on any S X S!!

Almost had a VHE 28 once but passed as it was a very open choked gun (C/I.C.). Beautiful piece and wish I had sprung for it as they it has increased in value several fold since.

SEARCHING:

P.S. I also have an early hammer 12 ga #4041 that needs the lifter and .......?
Stock has some cracks but is shootable. Bores are quite good for its' age. Project gun

Rich Anderson
08-08-2012, 05:50 PM
Welcome to the Parker phobia, sounds as if you started off on the right foot with a sever case of Parkeritus. I wouldn't be to concerned with the more open choked guns as my favorit choke is skt/skt. The plastic shot cups (wads) will tighten up a choke somewhat.

You have great bird country in MT and with the partnership of a good pointer the open chokes will prove deadly on any upland game bird.

Jim Bennett
08-08-2012, 07:05 PM
At least with Skeet/skeet there is some choke. Cylinder/cylinder is not much. I guess I could check into a back-bore to try and get some.

Thanks for the reply.

Jim...............

Rich Anderson
08-08-2012, 07:42 PM
I have a DHE 20ga w/26 inch bbls thats cyl/cyl and it's my go to Grouse/Woodcock gun.

Jim Bennett
08-08-2012, 07:54 PM
About only place to use open chokes would be in the trees for Blue Grouse, but then they usually get killed with a stick or my S&W 46 long rifle in the head.
Just too open usually. I could try it for quail in Az if I don't carry my sidelock 28 Gruella. Its pretty light.
Need to try my Quail special. 410 Cresent Arms.
Just haven't been hunting quail for awhile.