PDA

View Full Version : Surface Rust on the receiver

J. Huddleston
08-03-2012, 02:15 PM
I just got my first Parker and it has a few rust spots on the tang attaching the stock to the receiever. Is it ok to hit it with a brilow pad or should I get a Frontier pad or what do you guys use?

John Campbell
08-03-2012, 02:42 PM
Mr. H:
For many years, I've simply dampened (not soaked) a small pad of 0000 steel wool with a bit of Hoppe's and rubbed off the rust. This won't take color case off, just in case you're wondering.

Best, Kensal

J. Huddleston
08-03-2012, 02:44 PM
Mr. H:
For many years, I've simply dampened (not soaked) a small pad of 0000 steel wool with a bit of Hoppe's and rubbed off the rust. This won't take color case off, just in case you're wondering.

Best, Kensal

Thanks Kensal. I will give that a shot!:)

Joe Dreisch
08-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Frontier pads work exceptionally well on fine guns without damaging original finishes. Much less abrasive than steel wool and magic on superficial rust. Keep some oil on it. I like Kroil for this. Just don't let the pad contact the wood.
You can also tear off a piece and wrap it around a bore brush to clean out minor rust deposits inside barrels. Works like a charm.

Bill Murphy
08-03-2012, 08:30 PM
What is a Frontier pad?

Joe Dreisch
08-03-2012, 08:51 PM
They look like the old kitchen scrub pads made of spiral shavings of some sort of alloy. I told Tom about them at the Timonium show when I dropped off my case for Kevin to repair. I think he bought a few. It is amazing what they will do. The fellow at the show was selling them 3 for $10.

www.Big45MetalCleaner.com

Bill Murphy
08-04-2012, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the heads up.

Rick Losey
08-04-2012, 09:20 AM
They look like the old kitchen scrub pads made of spiral shavings of some sort of alloy. I told Tom about them at the Timonium show when I dropped off my case for Kevin to repair. I think he bought a few. It is amazing what they will do. The fellow at the show was selling them 3 for $10.

www.Big45MetalCleaner.com

I bought some of those at a grocery store for about the same price which is a lot cheaper than the first ones I ever got from Brownells

I spun one onto a rod's cleaning brush and chucked the cleaning rod in a drill, then used it to clean the loose rust from an old muzzleloader bore. It did a great job of cleaning without honing the bore.

Dean Romig
08-04-2012, 10:12 AM
It's amazing what you can do with the "Frontier" pads. I've been using them for about three years foe everything that I need to clean up (I won't use steel wool on a gun) from bores to surface rust on actions and barrels. I used it in the bores of my 28 ga. VHE and was amazed at the amount of lead fouling that came out of those 28 ga. bores. The bores looked shiny and very clean when I first bought the gun but little did I know how much lead fouling was really caked smoothly to the bores... mostly in the foreward 6" of choke constriction.

Joe Dreisch
08-04-2012, 10:20 AM
I bought a 1953 Sauer 16 ga at auction which had been stored in a LOM case for too many years. Red rust powder everywhere, so bad you couldnt read the name on the side of the receiver. Paid $65. for it. Brought it home and scrubbed everything with WD-40 and the frontier pad. It looks like a brand new gun! All the case colors were still there and I was amazed at how all the freckling on barrels just disappeared!
Once you develop a feel for the amount of pressure to apply you will be quite pleased with the results. Works well on Damascus barrells, as well. The best part is that it does not dull or scratch the surface.

Gary Carmichael Sr
08-07-2012, 08:45 PM
Well, I learned something new today! never heard of a frontier pad, but will look for some sounds like they work great.

Dean Romig
08-07-2012, 09:52 PM
Great stuff!

Use these two products together to get rid of rust, crud and undesirable "patina".

Dave Suponski
08-07-2012, 10:05 PM
This stuff works great...:)

George M. Purtill
08-08-2012, 07:58 AM
Has anyone tried the Frontier pads on the outside surface of twist steel barrels?

Steve McCarty
08-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Great stuff!

Use these two products together to get rid of rust, crud and undesirable "patina".

Boy, that steel wool looks pretty aggressive to me! Does that stuff scratch the metal?

Joe Dreisch
08-10-2012, 09:40 PM
I have never had it scratch any metal. I have used it in barrels and on receivers and barrels. If you read the information on the website link, it explains how/why it works.

Dean,
Where did you get CorrosionX? Couldn't find it on Brownell's site.

Thanks,
Joe

Dean Romig
08-10-2012, 11:40 PM
Simply Google "corrosionx for guns"