PDA

View Full Version : Hello from PA! Help...

Jason Heikel
07-25-2012, 07:33 PM
I must admit I'm new to the Parker world. But ready to learn. I received my Parker from my grandfather when he passed in 92'. To be honest it has been in my gun case and i never even looked at it untill last week :crying:. From my research I know it is a P grade gun from 1904. It is a 12 gauge with a 30 inch twist barrels. All serial numbers are matching. Screws have not been touched. It could use a good cleaning but everything is in solid working order. I may be interrested in selling. Or keeping it and being a part of the "club" Let me know what you guys thinks. Thanks in advance fr the Parker wisdom.

calvin humburg
07-25-2012, 07:46 PM
If my Grandpa gave me a gun I'd keep it forever and shoot it. Do you where your Grandpa got it? Get the barrels checked. look down them first see if there shiny or pitted. Or sell it and run like the wind or before you know it you'll have a nother ;) Hang around and become a Parker Dork. best ch

Jason Heikel
07-25-2012, 08:06 PM
Hi fishtail. The bores are shiny. A gunsmith advised it could shoot. I have many guns from my pap I do shoot. I'm just not in to antique guns that much. I know it has always been in the family from pa. That's all I know. What do you feel it is worth?

calvin humburg
07-25-2012, 09:40 PM
I don't know depends on... You don't know how neet family Parkers are. It's not worth enough to sell. Can you scratch any of that brown stuff off with your thumb nail?

charlie cleveland
07-25-2012, 09:46 PM
youll be sorry down the road if you sell it...that old gun will wear out 2 plastic guns...looks like a cleaning up and that old gal will look good...remember there easy to sell but hard to buy back after there gone.... charlie

Jason Heikel
07-25-2012, 09:51 PM
The more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards keeping it. Yes the brown comes off with my nail. How can I clean the grime on the stock and barrel? I didn't want to hurt it more than I helped. Anyone near central pa? Would like to try shooting this piece of history.

calvin humburg
07-26-2012, 06:34 AM
Try some Break Free CLP and a toothbrush or piece of t-shirt first. Get a q-tip and dob a little on the screwheads let soke for days work the screw slots with toothpicks (Thanks Richard) take the whole box with you it will take a bunch. Keep oil off stock. Stock looks very dark or is it the picture? Is that a dent in the wood on right panel?

Brian Dudley
07-26-2012, 08:28 AM
Jason,

That is a very nice original and unmolested P grade. Very nice patina from many years of use. That is what a lot of us here like to see. And if the bores are good, then get yourself some RST loads and shoot her with pride.

Something like this could always benfit from a proper cleaning. But good mantenance will keep it in great condition for many years to come.

Jason Heikel
07-26-2012, 09:29 AM
Thanks fishtail! BD can I get the rst shells at a retail store?

Todd Wright
07-26-2012, 06:12 PM
Hello Jason, I like yourself am new to the Parker World and received my Parker as a gift from my father who got it from his. the info i have for RST is www.RSTSHELLS.com, 570-553-1651. I got some shells from them and shot mine one weekend about 3 months ago. i now own some very nice and lonesome O/U. i shoot sporting clays every weekend, and have shot the Parker every weekend since and even aquired another one. Good luck on your decision..... i would keep it.

Brian Dudley
07-27-2012, 01:37 PM
Jason,

There are some dealers for RST shells, but not all over. Check their website. You can buy direct from them too.