PDA

View Full Version : Repro A1: 3 barrel set by DeCamillis

Rex Northen
07-21-2012, 07:42 PM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=297460848

Interesting set, I've not seen this style of engraving on a Parker, maybe I just haven't seen enough yet...

$17k seems like a lot, but I don't get to buy and sell too much, so it may be right in line...

I also thought that all the A1's had single triggers, but I count two on this.

Mark Ouellette
07-21-2012, 07:55 PM
That's a nice gun!!! :)

Greg Baehman
07-21-2012, 09:27 PM
I also thought that all the A1's had single triggers, but I count two on this.
Finding an A-1 Special with double triggers isn't all that unusual as they are out there, but what is unusual is finding one that has both DT's and a 14 3/4" LOP as this gun seems to have, eh Marvin?

Chris Travinski
07-21-2012, 09:27 PM
Rex,
This was one of the guns that came from CSMC unfinished. They were available with the wood finished and the barrels and action in raw white metal ready to be engraved and finished.

Michael Murphy
07-21-2012, 10:23 PM
It's crazy money.....and its worth it.
Be the first on your block to own this.

Marvin Kells
07-22-2012, 02:22 PM
Finding an A-1 Special with double triggers isn't all that unusual as they are out there, but what is unusual is finding one that has both DT's and a 14 3/4" LOP as this gun seems to have, eh Marvin?

Indeed! Actually, I haven't seen very many A-1 Specials with double triggers. At least they don't come up for sale very often .....

Rich Anderson
07-22-2012, 08:03 PM
The engraveing is very nice but the wood doesn't impress me much for $17K.

Bob Jurewicz
07-22-2012, 08:20 PM
If those 16G barrels had been original and not CSMC that gun would have been gone months ago. It is beeeautiful!!!
Bob Jurewicz

Rex Northen
07-22-2012, 08:34 PM
If those 16G barrels had been original and not CSMC that gun would have been gone months ago. It is beeeautiful!!!
Bob Jurewicz

Hmm. The description says, "The third set of 28" 16ga. barrels choked LM/F were produced by Krieghoff, and fitted to the gun by Galazan to make a full 3 barrel set." I thought all the Krieghoff's were the original barrels...

Rich Anderson
07-22-2012, 10:45 PM
Krieghoff made the 16ga bbls on the 16/20ga two bbl sets so I would think they would have supplied the 16ga bbl for this gun as well. If I'm not mistaken all 16ga bbl for the reproductions came from Krieghoff.

Dean Romig
07-22-2012, 10:58 PM
I am not a fan of "over the top" wood and this one, in my opinion, is exceptionally nice for a Repro without being "over the top".

Rich Anderson
07-22-2012, 11:01 PM
An A1 Special should have better wood than this IMHO and if I was considering this as a purchase the wood would be a deterrent for me. It's a nice stock for a DHE.

Dean Romig
07-22-2012, 11:07 PM
That's not claro you're looking at my friend and it has no place on a DHE.

Rich Anderson
07-22-2012, 11:24 PM
I have DHE's with nicer wood than that and they don't have Claro either.

Rex Northen
07-23-2012, 08:02 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

I like the dark grain, it's straight through the wrist and looks to be well matched on both sides. It would be nice to find an A1 with multiple forends.

Bill Murphy
07-23-2012, 08:47 AM
Great wood for this gun, in my opinion. If fancier wood is required, buy a stick of figured American Black.

Chuck Heald
07-23-2012, 09:09 AM
I like the gun. But it does have a bit understated wood for the grade IMO.

Kenny Graft
07-23-2012, 06:56 PM
These 16ga barrels if perchased from CSM were a run from Merkel...not Kreghoff. I have a set of merkel barrels fitted to a DHE repro 20, while they are a great shooting set they do not have the same top rib engraving and the dolls head does not fill its spot in the frame properly. Still minor issues.....I have killed many wild Kansas rooster with them 16ga barrels...(-: I would like to own this A1 set but could not get a trade deal worked out. I have a very rare DHE repro 410/28 set PG-DT-SF that I offered up....Thanks all SXS ohio...

Rex Northen
07-23-2012, 09:12 PM
These 16ga barrels if perchased from CSM were a run from Merkel...not Kreghoff. I have a set of merkel barrels fitted to a DHE repro 20, while they are a great shooting set they do not have the same top rib engraving and the dolls head does not fill its spot in the frame properly. Still minor issues.....I have killed many wild Kansas rooster with them 16ga barrels...(-: I would like to own this A1 set but could not get a trade deal worked out. I have a very rare DHE repro 410/28 set PG-DT-SF that I offered up....Thanks all SXS ohio...

I don't know. My 3 barrel A1 set (also originally purchased from Galazan) is also 16/20/20 and my barrels are Krieghoff (clearly marked). They do have the same rib engraving as the 20 gauge barrels and fill the doll's head perfectly. They are also the same dimensions as the set for sale - 28" M/F.

Paul Ehlers
07-23-2012, 09:30 PM
I've looked at quite a few A-1 special repro's and most of them have wood that has less figure than a lot of the DHE's. With that said most of them probably have special qualities to the blank's which make them suited for an A-1 special. With the main quality being the proper grain type and density to allow for the 32 LPI fine checkering on the A-1 specials.

Maybe Brain could give us some insight on what he would look for in a blank if he were to do a 32 LPI checkering job. I imagine a highly figured blank wouldn't be one of them.

Paul Ehlers
07-23-2012, 09:31 PM
Edited due to duplicate post!

Greg Baehman
07-23-2012, 09:48 PM
Has anyone seen an A-1 Parker Repro stocked in highly figured Claro? I can only recall seeing them stocked in the characteristically less figured French or English walnut.

Rich Anderson
07-24-2012, 10:15 AM
Just for comparison sort of Griffin & Howe has a A1 3 bbl set 28/28/410 for $50K:eek:

Kenny Graft
07-25-2012, 04:47 PM
I looked at my factory 16ga. P.R. barrels and they have Parker reproduction stamped in the left barrel above the forend. Galazan/merkel barrels do not have this stamping and are not original P.R. barrels. Thanks all SXS ohio...(-:

Rex Northen
07-25-2012, 05:34 PM
I looked at my factory 16ga. P.R. barrels and they have Parker reproduction stamped in the left barrel above the forend. Galazan/merkel barrels do not have this stamping and are not original P.R. barrels. Thanks all SXS ohio...(-:

Agreed. Mine have that same stamping, as well as Kreighoff on the barrel flat, so I think it is possible that the barrels in this set do as well, since my gun was also purchased in the white from Galazan.

Gerry Addison
07-30-2012, 08:46 AM
I saw this gun in person at the Ohio Gun Collectors show and it is as nice as it looks in the pictures. The grouse on the bottom is wonderful job of engraving as is the rest of the gun. My only problem was the German Shorthair on one side. Me being a setter guy I'd have to add a tail on that dog!

Kenny Graft
07-30-2012, 12:16 PM
I see a possible flaw in the flushing grouse....you can see tree leaves thrue the tail fan...I think thats odd??? But would love to own it anyway....Kenny Graft....

Greg Baehman
07-30-2012, 06:08 PM
I saw this gun in person at the Ohio Gun Collectors show and it is as nice as it looks in the pictures. The grouse on the bottom is wonderful job of engraving as is the rest of the gun. My only problem was the German Shorthair on one side. Me being a setter guy I'd have to add a tail on that dog!
Gerry, I don't believe it's a German Shorthair, it a appears to be a Wirehair or maybe a Drathhaar---which could make for even a tougher sell.

Bill Murphy
07-30-2012, 06:37 PM
Wirehair, in my opinion. That makes the gun much more interesting to me. I am a Wirehair person and like Wirehairs on my engraved guns. That's why most of my Parkers are V Grade, no debate about dogs.

tom tutwiler
07-30-2012, 09:18 PM
IMO the wood is perfectly laid out California English, quartersawn and pretty much matching on both sides. It is a nice blank, but IMO this gun deserves a bit more. I think Circassian would be more appropriate because that's the type of wood that (I believe) came on original A-1 Parkers. For me California English looks super on a custom gun, but looks out of place on a high grade Parker. Also, for me California English means light colored wood with broad dark streaking with some fiddle and perhaps marbling thrown in.

Here are two pieces of California English that I think have a somewhat similar look to what is on the A-1

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL599/2614949/23828662/403527684.jpg

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL599/2614949/23828662/403527686.jpg

Here's a piece of Circassian that would look pretty good on it although it might be a tad too fancy:

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL599/2614949/23828662/403527707.jpg

Kenny Graft
07-31-2012, 07:35 AM
Tom...Wow thats very informative and I love the pictures. I always wondered the type of wood that was on my repro's that look just like this wood pictured. I own a couple DHE grades with wood just like this. I had asked about wood types on my repro's and no one had good answers. Im thinking they used both claro and cal. english for most all of the repro's. Thinking about that Im sure there are more above average claro than english stocked guns availible, we see fewer realy nice above average english stocked guns for sale. I like both of these wood types but would choose the light and dark streeked cal. english...(-: They sure did use some great wood on them P.R. guns!!!! I think I have some pictures to share of my wood...will add them next post....Thanks all...SXS ohio

Kenny Graft
07-31-2012, 07:43 AM
Hope they upload....(-:

tom tutwiler
07-31-2012, 04:03 PM
Hope they upload....(-:

Now I gotta ask. How did those hot dog buns migrate into the area where the guns are stored?

PS. Many years ago I talked to Richard Skeuse (Hope I'm spelling the name correctly). I had a Parker 20 gauge Repro with 28" barrels, DT and choked full/mod. Claro walnut on the gun was amazing. I somehow managed to track Richard down and ask him about the different types and grades of walnut used. As I recall he said the grades of Walnut went from grade 1 (low) to grade 5 (high). My gun was indeed a grade 5 on the Claro scale. California English was also used and was also graded (don't know if it was 1-5 however). I believe all the wood was supplied by Calico Hardwoods and that wood was shipped to Japan. BTW, Calico hardwoods was also supplying the high grade claro walnut that was used on the Weatherby Athena and Orion O/U's being built by SKB at that same time.

Double PS. I actually sold the Parker one day because it was much heavier then what a 20 gauge needed to be. 6 lb 12 oz as I recall.

Rex Northen
07-31-2012, 04:29 PM

Gerry,

Were you able to ascertain that the 16 gauge barrels were the original Kreighoff barrels?

Kenny Graft
07-31-2012, 05:01 PM
The best place to take gun pics is on our larg well lit kitchen counter.....buns are known to be seen there...(-:

Kenny Graft
08-01-2012, 08:31 AM
Looking at the above pictures one can clearly see claro walnut and the mutch differnt california englsh walnut. I like the english better most of the time but some extra nice flame/feather croch found in the claro can be outstanding!!! The wood found on my repro's is by default...I selected buying my guns with double triggers and the 14 1/4 to 14 3/8 pull, and prefer pistol grips. Wood type or how nice was not the a issue for me. I use hunt and shoot my guns, wood quality is a nice extra! Most repro's have respectable wood and many have way nice wood. The wood to metal fit is top shelf workmanship, if only they would have used hand rubed oil.........(-: SXS ohio

Gerry Addison
08-02-2012, 12:38 AM
I didn't look at the 16GA barrels as I knew I wasn't going to buy the gun. Sorry, if I had read all of this before the show I would have looked it over more carefully. I will say it is a very nice gun and from what I've read I believe they are "K" barrels and not the Merkel barrels Galazan sold.

Kenny Graft
08-02-2012, 07:38 AM
I asked the seller and they are Merkel barrels...not factory repro.....Still a very nice set indeed. SXS ohio

Greg Baehman
08-02-2012, 06:52 PM
I asked the seller and they are Merkel barrels...not factory repro.....Still a very nice set indeed. SXS ohio

Hmmm . . . his advertisement says they're Krieghoff barrels, this isn't surprising though as this seller has some problems getting his listings accurate. Here's another Repro he has listed with several errors. He was informed of the inaccuracies, but has not changed the ads. He does come up with some great guns, but inaccurate listings surely doesn't help his credibility. Caveat emptor.
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Parker-Repro-28ga-SN00048-UNFIRED-CASE-MANUAL-ALL-BOXES-.cfm?gun_id=100263118