PDA

View Full Version : Should I get this restored?

Vinal Piers
07-15-2012, 09:45 PM
It looks like someone painted the barrel black, and there is a small chip in the wood at the butt plate.
Thanks

edgarspencer
07-16-2012, 06:22 AM
The picture leave a lot to be desired. I can't make out didly from them.

David Dwyer
07-16-2012, 07:05 AM
I would just do the barrel.
David

John Campbell
07-16-2012, 08:36 AM
It looks like a common VH that has seen a century of service. Good screws and no major abuse. I'd have the stock refreshed by a pro and get the barrels refinished as said. It will look 100% better for under $1000. But it all depends on what YOU have in the gun in terms of sentiment.

Best, Kensal

Brian Dudley
07-16-2012, 09:21 AM
Yeah... What Kensel said.

Or even just the barrels being done would be the very least to do. This is both from an aesthetic point and function since you don't want bare metal on barrels exposed to the elements if you can help it.

Vinal Piers
07-16-2012, 09:44 AM
Sorry about the pictures Edgar. Here are a few more. 1000 huh? Do you think it would be worth it? With it being a common VH? I really don't know.

Vinal Piers
07-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Any suggestions on how to remove the paint myself?

Brian Dudley
07-16-2012, 02:30 PM
Vinal,

If it is paint that is in fact on it. Something like laquer thinner will do the trick. But then you are still left with bare metal that should be blued to prevent rust.

John Campbell
07-16-2012, 06:01 PM
Vinal:

Mr. Dudley is correct. Remove the barrels and wipe them with a rag and lacquer thinner. If the stuff comes off, fine. And even if it does, you should seek a barrel finisher. No offense, but the issue with a lot of hobby work on these guns is that it generally has one of two outcomes:
1) You get lucky and don't do any lasting harm to the gun, but in your eyes it looks better.
2) You make a muck of it and destroy most of the remaining value in the gun. Then you have beater.

If this might be your "first double gun project," I'd rather see you work on a couple of Stevens first. Not a Parker.

This is a nice old VH that can probably be made to look very good by an experienced hand. It is not a presentation gun. But it was never built to be one. That's not a demerit.

A barrel refinish is generally about $300. A stock "refresh" depends. Maybe $400. Mostly because almost all these VH guns have split stock heads and a good bit of oil soaking... plus the chequering should be cleaned up (not a job for the novice).

I'm not looking for more work, but if you PM me, I might be able to help you.

Best, Kensal

Brian Dudley
07-16-2012, 06:59 PM
Vinal,

And I have also contacted you letting you know that I can get you in touch with a good man for your barrels. Kensel's estimate of $300 for the barrel work is about right for rust bluing in most cases. And I just might know someone for stock work on your VH too. :whistle:

Andy Kelley
07-26-2012, 08:15 PM
Hi I would restore the gun but i look at myself as a caretaker rather than an owner.I agree with everyone else that the barrels should be done but don't put the money into the gun if it is a financial burden for you. You don't have to do everything at once. Good luck and make your own mind up.