PDA

View Full Version : My "New" SBT

Frank Culbertson
07-12-2012, 07:52 PM
Recently purchased a post 1937 SBT, my FIRST Parker. (241027 B Grade) Had it looked at and was advised that it was still tight and a shooter. I was also advised by the last owner that he had it for about 15 years, and he was under the impression that it had been in the previous owners family since perhaps new?? Will a "Letter" advise much re past owners? Or rather how many??
the stock has been cut and lengthened, as well as a repair by the pistol grip. Need a front bead to replace the hideous orange abomination, and have to figure out what to do with the stock and comb, I added a bit of Moleskin to raise it a bit, but not nearly enough......still I shot a couple 21's tonight, with my neck creeped way forward to be able to see the beads!!! I bought it to shoot Sunday afternoons for fun, not to compete with. Since the stock has been modified, has it lost most of its value? Frank C

Dean Romig
07-12-2012, 09:34 PM
It is a B grade SBT and the stock extension etc. won't hurt it a whole lot. Those things can be rectified for the most part. After all, there were not a lot of SB's made and trapshooters, being a funny bunch, modified the fit of the stocks with all sorts of contraptions so there are probably not many pristine B grade SBT's out there anyway.

But please do something about the floor plate screws... :shock:

They're probably just in the wrong holes.

Frank Culbertson
07-12-2012, 10:29 PM
Dean, I tried switching the holes....no dice...the G'smith said he could take care of that for me....
One thing I forgot to add, it has a release trigger too, and since I flinch horribly, this was very attractive to me...

Dean Romig
07-12-2012, 10:42 PM
Frank, order a research letter to (hopefully) find out if the gun was ordered with the release trigger.

But first join the PGCA for $40. That way the letter will only cost you $40 instead of the $100 a non-member has to pay for a letter.

Dean

E Robert Fabian
07-12-2012, 10:49 PM
Frank where do you live? We shoot trap Weds. nights at Major Waldron's in Barrington NH, stop in and shoot a couple rounds.
Bob

Dave Suponski
07-12-2012, 11:00 PM
Frank I could be wrong here but I believe Parker never equipped a gun with a release trigger from the factory.

Frank Culbertson
07-12-2012, 11:05 PM
I don't believe that the release was "factory" but I am glad it has it, or I would likely not bought it....can't shoot wi-wi-wi-without it!

Frank Culbertson
07-12-2012, 11:06 PM
Frank where do you live? We shoot trap Weds. nights at Major Waldron's in Barrington NH, stop in and shoot a couple rounds.
Bob

Bob, you have a PM

Dean Romig
07-12-2012, 11:24 PM
No Dave, I think you're right.... even though you did say "never" in the context of Parkers.

Steve McCarty
07-17-2012, 01:14 AM
Well, your gun is a real Parker that's for sure and it has had a lot of work done to it. So be it. There is nothing that you can do about what has been done. I'd shoot the dickens out of it. I shoot an ancient SC SBT in untouched condition and like it fine. Sure it lacks modern bells and whistles, but so do I.

There are no fleas on your gun. Shot it and enjoy. It is a Parker after all.

Frank Culbertson
08-01-2013, 11:11 AM
Bob, do you still shoot at Major Waldrons on Wednesdays? I may try to make it on August 14th, what time do you shoot to?

Frank Culbertson
08-01-2013, 11:16 AM
I see that there is a SBT SC at the Amoskeag Auction this Saturday....
http://www.auctionzip.com/aflive.html?method=getLotInfo&lotref=27989B4B1D&seq=54

Frank Culbertson
08-01-2013, 11:22 AM
hi all, need info for where to get a bead for this SBT, previous owner had put an orange hideous glow bead, just need a white and thread size etc.... FC

Frank Culbertson
08-04-2013, 09:11 AM
Greetings! I am looking for a Pistol Grip Cap for my SBT?? Anyone have on for sale? or know where to start the search? Frank C

Frank Culbertson
08-04-2013, 09:12 AM
maybe a pic of an originally supplied stock end too? since my stock was cut, I dont know what it looked like originally?? FC

Dave Suponski
08-04-2013, 09:43 AM
Frank, SBT guns were supplied from the factory with Hawkins recoil pads. Hope this helps.

Justin Julian
08-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Frank, if that Morgan style adjustable recoil pad is to your liking, read no further...

But if the sight of it horrifies you as much as it does me, consider Mark Larson for blending that wood extension and adding a period correct recoil pad to this beautiful Parker. Mark's work is not only amazing, but appears to be unique in the industry, and is very reasonably priced. See for yourself...

http://www.marklarsongunart.com/#!extension-blending-portfolio

Chuck Bishop
08-04-2013, 01:20 PM
Frank,

Any possibility that you can identify who did the release trigger? One of our members has a release in his SC and I've even talked to a guy that had a single trigger converted to release in a BHE. I think I'll put a post on Trapshooters.com and ask if anyone knows a smith that can or has done it. Sure would love to have one in my SC!

Bill Murphy
08-04-2013, 04:54 PM
The Amoskeag SC went for an insane $1600 plus buyer's premium. Did anyone here buy it? I watched it sell and my fingers froze up.

Frank Culbertson
08-04-2013, 08:33 PM
Ruff hunter, I simply screwed on the morgy pad as a stop gap till I figure out how to shoot the damn thing!
I carry a 96-97 average with my beretta in registered trap but I am lucky to hit a 15/25 in a round, struggling with POI, I added the Morgan pad i had laying around to add some length and some moleskin to raise my cheek. This winter I will send it out for lock up tightening, and some other minor cosmetics (screws etc.) and then make a decision about what to do with the stock fit. I bought it to be a "banger not a hanger" but I cannot shoot it with the current stock fit!
Without opening the trigger, I don't know how to id the release trigger, but I will advise if and when I find out!
I handled the SC at the Amoskeag auction last Thursday night, it was in Ok condition, 1600 would seem a might high tho....

Thanks for any and all suggestion! Frank c

Frank Culbertson
08-05-2013, 11:58 PM
So after a year I finally took the time to pattern my gun, several targets reveal a low shooter, after a quick review I estimate a low pattern of about 40/60 and damn tight too! Now what, raise the comb some more I guess....

Frank Culbertson
08-06-2013, 08:02 AM
perhaps the "aftermarket" front bead is too high, can someone please measure the height of their front bead for me?
since this bead is quite large, I am guessing that this could be the reason for it appearing to shoot low. Opinions? the bead measures .205" high.
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u199/Stepsavah/bead.jpg (http://s168.photobucket.com/user/Stepsavah/media/bead.jpg.html)

Chuck Bishop
08-06-2013, 08:40 AM
Here is what I'd do if it were my gun.

1. Fix the screws
2. Cut that extension off and put on a Hawkins pad assuming the LOP is what you like.
3. Send the gun to Mark Larson and have him raise the comb to what you want and have him blend in the grain and color. Otherwise try using a Beretta Gel Pad in 1/4" size and see if this gets you to the proper height. Your gun should have an ivory mid and front bead. Find a replacement ivory/plastic front bead. The height of the front bead should be .125 from the rib to the top of the bead.

Rich Anderson
08-06-2013, 09:32 AM
You can get replacement Ivory beads as well as a comb adjustment kit from Galazan. I used the comb kit on a GHE 16 but have since sold the gun. If you would like to try it I'll send it to you. If you like it we can talk if not send it back.

Your stock checkering pattern is original to the gun from what I can see. I'd get rid of the Morgan pad and like others have stated have Mark Lawson extend the stock if needed and fit a period correct recoil pad.

scott kittredge
08-13-2013, 07:13 PM
Bob, do you still shoot at Major Waldrons on Wednesdays? I may try to make it on August 14th, what time do you shoot to?

Hi Frank, yes we do shoot wed, we start to show up at 4:45, hope to see you there , scott

Frank Culbertson
08-13-2013, 08:41 PM
See you there!! Frank c

scott kittredge
08-15-2013, 05:58 PM
Frank, I looked in the serialization book to see if your SB was one of the last ones made or the last one made, a fast look and yours was the 2nd to last SB but it was the last SB with 30 in. barrel (????) the other one has a 32 in. barrel, you might have the last SB with 30 in. barrel parker made.:corn: O, and nice shooting with you, scott

Frank Culbertson
08-17-2015, 04:27 PM
After a rest in the gunsafe, I sent it out and the gunsmith completed the "action tightening", added a front white bead, added a replacement pistol grip cap, and had him fix the floor plate screws, then took it out to the trap and can't hit #$%^ with it?? I was better off with no front bead....POI must be different with the bead in place....sigh
not sure of next steps, will have to try again....FC

Dean Romig
08-17-2015, 04:32 PM
Most dedicated trap guns were made to have a POI nearly a foot higher than POA at about 35 - 40 yards. Without the front bead you would be shooting high if you rested the clay on top of the rib. Try floating the bird above the bead and you should start hitting more clays again.

Frank Culbertson
08-17-2015, 04:48 PM
I agree Dean, but its really hard to purposefully float a bird when repetition 2000-3000 times a yr. says that the sight picture should be "this" with my "modern" trap gun....Ill keep fiddling, maybe stock length next....

Dean Romig
08-17-2015, 04:57 PM
Yup, words of a true trap shooter... "Must be the gun - can't be me." :rolleyes:.....:D

Chuck Bishop
08-17-2015, 05:35 PM
Frank, the only way your going to figure out where the gun shoots is to pattern it. You say you have a high average with your Beretta so pattern your Beretta and adjust the Parker to match the POI. Or, if you can, go to your trap club, lock the trap on straight away and shoot from post 3. Adjust your comb height till you are centering the target. You didn't say what the dimensions of the comb/heel was. From the looks of the stock, the dimensions look low.

John Davis
03-01-2021, 06:36 AM
While searching the forum I ran across this old thread. It began in 2013 and ended in 2015. Frank had come upon this old SB and was trying to make it work for him. It had a number of issues, but mainly as a trap shooter he needed it to shoot higher. Seems it was at 40/60 and of course he needed something like 60/40 or preferably higher. The thread seems to end in discouragement.

During this time frame, I had no interest in SBT's and never saw the discussion. Wouldn't have cared if I had. Fast forward to 2018 and I've started my journey into trap shooting. Had joined the crowed over on Trapshooters.com and was posting about shooting old SBT's. Frank saw some of my posts and reached out. He told me he had a Parker SB with some issues and one was he couldn't ever seem to figure her out on the trap field. He sent me some pictures and offered it to me. I bought the gun and the old girl found a new home. I got Brian Dudley to fix the stock and I removed the front bead entirely. I've been shooting singles with her ever since and she's my go to gun. For me, the gun shoots 80/20 and hits about 96% of the singles targets. It's also the gun featured on the cover page of the Parker Pages issue which contains my article "The ABC's of Parker SBT's."

The point is, it's funny how things work out and how much difference the fit of a gun can make.

Dean Romig
03-01-2021, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the history on your SB John.

These things happen sometimes. We’re lucky when they happen to us and we’re able to make things in our favor. I’ve been very lucky to have bought three rare Parkers under strange circumstances similar to yours.

John Davis
03-01-2021, 09:00 AM
I will be forever greatful to Frank.

John Davis
03-01-2021, 12:56 PM
Jeff Kuss texted me and asked if I was still shooting the release trigger. The answer is no. I had Brian convert it back to a pull.

JAMES HALL
03-01-2021, 01:18 PM
I to can be grateful if it allowed me to get the 34" one from John.

John Davis
03-01-2021, 03:04 PM
I to can be grateful if it allowed me to get the 34" one from John.

Just family swapping guns around.