PDA

View Full Version : Sheild Initials

George M. Purtill
07-12-2012, 03:26 PM
I failed to watch enough Martha Stewart shows before she went to prison so forgive me if I dont know the proper conventions on monagrams.
I have a DHE Double trap gun (also shoots turkeys well) and I am working on the provenance.
It once belonged to an avid trapshooter in Connecticut I am told.
the letters appear to be "HHG".
However as i have learned from family hand me down linens, sometimes what appears to be the middle initial is actually the last initial?
I would like to look for this trapshooter in CT circa 1928 but want to know if I should be looking for HHG or HGH???
This picture is not real good (iPhone) but its really the style of engraving that's inportant: the letters bend at the curves of the shield.

Dave Suponski
07-12-2012, 03:32 PM
George, I have already researched this gun and I came up empty. Maybe you will have better luck.

Rick Losey
07-12-2012, 09:09 PM
A monogram has the last name's initial in the middle and much larger than the other two.

Initials are in the same sequence as the names.

Monograms are for linen and French cuffs

initial shields are for initials -- :)

just my guess

George M. Purtill
07-12-2012, 09:58 PM
A monogram has the last name's initial in the middle and much larger than the other two.

Initials are in the same sequence as the names.

Monograms are for linen and French cuffs

initial shields are for initials -- :)

just my guess

I agree but fricking monagram is just a fancy name for initials, In my humble and swamp yankee opinion.

Steve McCarty
07-20-2012, 08:25 PM
My GH has a shield that is unmarked. I'm wondering if I should have my initials engraved on it. Least then, after I go to the big trapshoot in the sky there will be two places with my name/initials...my tombstone and the ancient Parker.

Drew Hause
07-21-2012, 01:20 PM
Could it be 'HHC' for H.C. Hershey, a Hazard Powder Co. rep and winner of the 1902 GAH at Live Birds? He would have moved from Minn. and seen the light and switched to a Parker, as did Fred Gilbert and W.R. Crosby :)

http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/SportingLife/1902/VOL_39_NO_04/SL3904019.pdf
http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/SportingLife/1902/VOL_39_NO_05/SL3905018.pdf
"This was the first time Harvey McMurchy, of the Hunter Arms Co. ever participated in a Grand American Handicap. He said it was about time the L. C. Smith gun won this event, even if he had to do it, himself. He come all the way from California just to shoot in the race, and brought Phil Bekeart with him; to help win the prize. Both fell down, but "Mac" did not mind it when Hirschy, Spencer and Heikes won in one, two, three order, all using L. C. Smith guns.
With the record-breaking score of 78 straight kills, Mr. H. C. Hirschy, of Minneapolis, Minn., shooting Winchester Factory Loaded Shells, won the Grand American Handicap at Live Birds for 1902, the first prize of $688 and a valuable silver trophy. During the tournament Mr. Hirschy shot at 102 birds, shooting through the entire week without a miss, a record never before equaled in this great shoot. He killed 12 straight in the sweep on Monday, 12 more on Tuesday, 8 straight in the G. A. H. on Wednesday, 8 on Thursday, and on Friday 9 more, completing the 25 straight. Then 10 more in the tie the same day, and on Saturday he finished 43 straight to win making a total of 102 straight. He used an L. C. Smith gun, 3 1/4 drams Hazard smokeless, 1 1/4 ounces No. 7 chilled shot in Winchester factory-loaded Pigeon shells."

Drew Hause
07-21-2012, 03:46 PM
Hershey represented Peters at the 1910 GAH
http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/SportingLife/1910/VOL_55_NO_17/SL5517024.pdf

Bill Murphy
07-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Initials are engraved both ways, with the surname initial in the middle or at the right side. Even if the initials are all the same size, the middle initial may still be the surname. I have two guns of known ownership that have initials the same size and the middle initial is the surname letter. If the middle initial is larger, that initial is surely the surname initial. The placement of the surname initial may be contingent on the era.