PDA

View Full Version : Parker Hammer gun

lee r moege
07-09-2012, 06:05 PM
I am contemplating the purchase of an "O" grade 16 gage hammergun from 1893. I have the barrels in hand and have been measuring wall thickness, bores , etc. The bores are rough but no deep individual pits, and measure .669 all the way down both barrels with .024 and .022 chokes. I seem to remember some were made larger than the standard .662. It's to bad the bores aren't as crisp as the outside of the barrels. They show even figure and finish breech to muzzle and ring like church bells. They are marked Parker Bros. Twist and are 30" uncut. The gun is on a "O" frame according to the barrel markings. I have measured the wall thickness and all is well at .038/.040 and .090/ .092 at the breech,(3" from breech). Question is does anyone think a light hone is in order and if so, any recommendations as to who to do it. Any thoughts on 20ga./28 ga. inserts? The stock is bad which I can take care of myself. The rest of the metal work looks to have some case left and is said to lock up tight and everything functions as should. It has a fishtail top lever. I was able to get the barrels for inspection without the rest of the gun as thats 99% of whether it's worth any effort. The only reason I'm interested is the 16ga. and O frame. As is my custom I will measure wall thickness several more times to verify my findings. Any help and thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!! Lee.:)

Dean Romig
07-09-2012, 07:11 PM
Personally I wouldn't hone the bores at all. I would clean the bores thoroughly and you might see a significant amount of the pitting clean up to 'insignificant'.

edgarspencer
07-09-2012, 07:27 PM
Personally I wouldn't hone the bores at all. I would clean the bores thoroughly and you might see a significant amount of the pitting clean up to 'insignificant'.

What he said, X2

lee r moege
07-09-2012, 08:23 PM
Thanks guys! I have already cleaned them once, but will do it again (maybe a few times), with some foaming bore cleaner and a larger diameter chamber brush.The bore gage just bounces +/- .001 or less. The honing would need to be done by someone other than with a "whip stick" and emery cloth for sure.(Not as long as I own it!) I will probably spend the time and $ on restoring the stock. I don't intend to restock it either unless it is just beyond salvage. I've been doing that kind of stuff for 50 years+ and it will be a challenge. I plan to make some photo records of the pain and agony. Have a great day!! Lee:bigbye:

Bill Murphy
07-10-2012, 01:25 PM
Depends on the price. It could turn out to be a nice gun.

lee r moege
07-11-2012, 03:38 PM
My Parker serialization book was loaned out and hasn't come home yet. Anybody have anything on #78800? Thanks! Lee.

Rick Losey
07-11-2012, 03:51 PM
it lists as a
Grade 0 Plain Twist -- Top lever -- no optons -- capped pistol grip -- 16 bore with 30 inch barrels

lee r moege
07-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Thanks Rick! She remains as issued! Lee.

Gary Carmichael Sr
07-13-2012, 09:00 PM
Lee, better buy it they are hard to find, If the barrels are not cut it will be a great gun. Gary

lee r moege
07-15-2012, 07:07 PM
Done and Done!!! I should have it together by the end of the month. I'm told the rest of the finish ( case colors?) is as good as the barrel finish. I hope!! Lee.:)