PDA

View Full Version : long range loads

charlie cleveland
07-03-2012, 11:09 PM
any of you reloaders got any tips on a long range load in any 8 10 or 12 ga load...ive been foolin around with these loads for a long time but have not beat some of the factory loads and some of tom arbrusts 8 ga loads...my distance is 70 yards 10 inch circle..and shore aint beat our friends record of 70 shot in the 10 inch circle... at 70 yards but im still trying...been to hot to shoot much...i know that a lot of its the choke you shoot but the shell has to be part of it too...any tips appreciated.... charlie

Pete Lester
07-03-2012, 11:22 PM
Use copper or nickel coated shot, use buffer and keep the velocity slow. Use a slow burning powder like Longshot for a slower acceleration up the barrel. Target size shot lacks the mass to maintain velocity needed for tight patterns at long range so try some hunting size shot, 5 and 6.

John Dallas
07-04-2012, 10:01 AM
I don't have the exact recipe in front of me (I'm at our cabin, abusing the trout) but the best I found for a 12 gauge load was buffered 1 3/8 oz copper plated 5's in a red Winchester wad, pushed by 800X. Same philosophy Mr. Lester is preaching

scott kittredge
07-04-2012, 04:07 PM
any of you reloaders got any tips on a long range load in any 8 10 or 12 ga load...ive been foolin around with these loads for a long time but have not beat some of the factory loads and some of tom arbrusts 8 ga loads...my distance is 70 yards 10 inch circle..and shore aint beat our friends record of 70 shot in the 10 inch circle... at 70 yards but im still trying...been to hot to shoot much...i know that a lot of its the choke you shoot but the shell has to be part of it too...any tips appreciated.... charlie

Now i have to try it too :eek:

charlie cleveland
07-04-2012, 11:25 PM
how did you do at the 70 mark... charlie