PDA

View Full Version : Hello :)

Sarah Runge
07-03-2012, 07:04 PM
Hey guys (I'm sure you are mostly guys out there). My name isn't really Sarah Runge its Worden but I thought it would make more sense as to why I am here. RPR was my grandfather and I am always in search of people who have great stories about his work and anyone at all who has information about my great grandfather RR as signed on his engravings :) So if you'd like me to post these requests in the engravers forum I will just someone give me a heads up!

Thanks
Sarah

Dave Suponski
07-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Sarah, It is great to have you! Your grandfather was a wonderful engraver and many of us here own guns embellished by his talented hand. I hope Kevin McCormack jumps in here because I believe he knew your grandfather.

Sarah Runge
07-03-2012, 08:40 PM
Exactly what I was hoping. I never really got to hear about his days at Parker Bros or Remington as he passed when I was in my early teens. I was really hoping some of you guys could tell me how you acquired your gun, what you love about the engraving, what you use it for, and what it means to you as more than a gun...Because as I well know guns are guns, but engraved guns are not just guns!

Dean Romig
07-03-2012, 11:22 PM
What a treat it is to have you introduce yourself here on the PGCA forum.

We wish you could tell us more about your grandfather than we know but it appears you are here to help you learn about Robert Runge. Well, that's a good thing for you because there are a few here who should be able to help. Certainly Kevin McCormack, as Dave suggests, might be the one who can give you the most information but possibly Dave Noreen can help too. Have you spoken with the DelGregos in Illion, NY?

calvin humburg
07-04-2012, 06:34 AM
There is a Runge, DelGrego upgrade gun for sale that would be nice in one's collection but a little out of my price range. Good thinkin Dean, Sarah hi sent you a PM with phone #s of the DelGrego's I'm sure they wouldn't care if someone put it on here, but anyway.

Sarah Runge
07-04-2012, 07:17 AM
I haven't seen the Del Gregos since I was a little girl, and I'm sure I could tell y'all some fun facts about my grandfather but its your experience with your guns that he engraved that I'd like also some info about RR since that seems to be scarce!

George M. Purtill
07-04-2012, 07:21 AM
Sarah
I met your grandfather at Larry's shop in 1977 or 1978 in Ilion when I was having an ejector spring fixed on 242022. He seemed to be a fixture there, but i don't think he did his work there in Larry's basement shop of his home. He just seemed like a regular guy, not the God that collectors hold him to be now. I was very young and dint know I was in the presence of legends, even Larry who took a liking to my girlfriend I had with me. But then I can understand that. Your grandfather was like part of the Delgrego family. i think he had his own assigned coffee cup.
If I were you I would get someone to scan you the article mentioned in the other thread by Kevin. and I would contact the Delgregos.

Welcome

PS - the only thing i know he engraved on my guns is the serial number and border on a guard strap on my 28ga 95432 that Larry fixed after some idiot tried to add a straight grip stock on a pistol grip gun.

Dean Romig
07-04-2012, 07:24 AM
Russ Jackson has a fabulous little CHE 20 ga. that we believe was engraved by Robert Runge. I'm sure he wouldn't mind posting a few pictures of the engraving for you. There are other PGCA members who also own guns engraved by your grandfather and I hope they post some pictures of these guns here. Runge's engraving is very distinctive - especially his dogs and birds. He was a true master engraver and his work is revered by collectors of both Parkers and Remingtons that display his art.

Dean Romig
07-04-2012, 07:33 AM
George, you have Parker no. 95432? Wow! According to Parker records that is only the third 28 gauge that Parker Bros. made. What grade is it?

George M. Purtill
07-04-2012, 07:40 AM
George, you have Parker no. 95432? Wow! According to Parker records that is only the third 28 gauge that Parker Bros. made. What grade is it?

Actually the number is earlier- 95428
VH but it has aftermarket ejectors that larry thought were very good.
I thought the records are missing from that period?

Dean Romig
07-04-2012, 07:52 AM
Although there are no records to support a research letter, your Parker, no. 95428, if originally made as a 28 gauge and not as a 20 ga. that was sent back for 28 ga. barrels to be fit to it, falls before Parker no. 95431 which is listed as the second 28 ga. The only earlier Parker listed as a 28 ga. in the 28 Gauge tables in the rear of Vol. II of TPS is the very first one which is a 94XXX range.

Dean Romig
07-04-2012, 07:54 AM
Sarah, I'm sorry to have hi-jacked your thread. Let's get back to your grandfather, Robert Runge.

Russ Jackson
07-04-2012, 08:12 AM
Russ Jackson has a fabulous little CHE 20 ga. that we believe was engraved by Robert Runge. I'm sure he wouldn't mind posting a few pictures of the engraving for you. There are other PGCA members who also own guns engraved by your grandfather and I hope they post some pictures of these guns here. Runge's engraving is very distinctive - especially his dogs and birds. He was a true master engraver and his work is revered by collectors of both Parkers and Remingtons that display his art.

Hello Sarah , Welcome aboard it is wonderful having you with us ,as Dean mentioned ,I do have a CHE 20 which was engraved by your Grand father and I will be happy to post some pictures of ,also I have a BHE 410 Upgraded by your Grand Father and DelGrego's ,I will start a New Thread and you can take a look ,perhaps others will follow suit with their pictures also ! Russ

Rich Anderson
07-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Did Runge sign his work? I have never checked to see who did the engraveing on any of my guns. Perhaps it's time to try to figure this out.

Sarah Runge
07-04-2012, 01:59 PM
Did Runge sign his work? I have never checked to see who did the engraveing on any of my guns. Perhaps it's time to try to figure this out.

My grandfather Robert P Runge signed his RPR in his distinctive script-y writing. My great Grandfather Robert Runge signed his RR in a slightly straighter more 'machine typed' way. If you kinda understand :)

Bill Murphy
07-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Ms. Runge, or Worden, Kevin McCormack is a serious researcher who would love to talk to you. He knew your Grandfather and knows more about his work than anyone who is "above the radar". If you will email me, I will immediately put you in touch with him. wilmrph@verizon.net Bill Murphy

Sarah Runge
07-04-2012, 05:41 PM
This is the only engravings I have at my apartment that he did. This is a spoon bracelet that he disassembled, flattened, engraved, and reassembled. I adore it and wear it often and is a great example of his script work. He did 5 of these one for me, my mom, aunt and two cousins.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56432017@N05/7503848364/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56432017@N05/7503844840/