PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Oregon

David Eberhardt
07-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Greetings from Oregon

I am a father of a 16 year old son, happily married husband of 19 years, and an avid archer. Most of my firearms have been handed down from family members and I will continue the tradition through my son.
I recently picked up a Parker Shotgun that may or may not stay in the family. As a licensed general contractor just trying to make ends meet, and a father of a boy that will be leaving the home in the near future, I want to create as many life memories with him as I am able. Unless business picks up, some of my toys will be sold to help fund new experiences with my son.
I have reviewed this website many times and still have not been able to completely identify my firearm.
Ser #: 24638 = 1882 build
Frame Size: #2 = 12 Gauge
Weight ?
Grade?
Any ideas?

Thank you,
David

charlie cleveland
07-02-2012, 04:20 PM
your gun is called a lifter or t action by the way it opens...its a grade 1 i think by the small amount of engraving on it... the weight of the barrel are marked on the barrel flat is the weight of the barrels only in unfinished state... the barrels will be twist laminated or damascus should say on the top of the barrels what they are...have your gun checked out by a good gun smith...clean her up and shoot low pressure shells and you will have a gun you and the boy can build memories on...ps some of these other boys will pitch in here in a little bit and give you some better info ythan i can.. enjoy charlie

David Eberhardt
07-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Thank you Charlie.
The barrel states that it is a "twist". The only number is "5" on the barrel flat. does that mean 5lb.? The actual weight is 4 lbs 8.6 oz.
The barrels are 32", and equiped with the ejector. * EDIT* Extractor
Thanks again,
David

John Dallas
07-02-2012, 09:58 PM
It looks like the gun is an "extractor", not an "ejector" gun. An extractor guns lifts both shells from their chambers, regardless of wether or not a shell has been fired. An ejector jun has a split on the lifter mechanism, and pops any fired shells out forceably

Dean Romig
07-02-2012, 10:36 PM
David

I just wanted to chime in here and say I think what you're doing to build good memories for your son - as well as hanging tough in these hard times even to the point of selling some 'toys' so you and your son can share some good times - is about the best thing a Dad can do for his kids. I'd like to shake your hand some day!

calvin humburg
07-03-2012, 07:16 AM
I agree with Dean! Sounds like you enjoy family good luck in your quest for fun. ch

David Eberhardt
07-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Thank you for the kind words. Nothing is more important than my family.
It is beginning to appear that the shotgun has no historical or great inherent value. Is there a gunsmith in the Portland area that is Parker knowledgeable that I can have evaluate and clean up the gun? I think I will try to sell it to pursue diving lessons for my son and myself.
I would like to realize the maximum return for this shotgun. Is the best avenue to sell this gun by joining PGCA and listing it in the classifieds, or using an online service like gunbroker?

Thank you in advance for your interest and advice,
David

Eric Estes
07-03-2012, 02:04 PM
I am a Parker newbie and still learning, but I noticed from the pictures that this gun appears to be one of the later lifters with the beveled breech face and the checkhook. I thought I had read on another thread that for fans of the lifter action these guns were less common and are desirable as workhorse shooters becasue of these design differences. Is that actually the case? There is nothing quite like a lifter, gotta love em.

Eric Estes
07-03-2012, 02:18 PM
To add to my observation and question... If I am correct I don't know if this really makes much difference in value, but could be a consideration for someone looking for a nice shooter. I will let the experts weigh in and see if I am full of bunk. :-)

David Eberhardt
07-03-2012, 02:18 PM
Hi Eric,
I also am a newbie to Parker. So much so, that most of your comments are over my head. This is a beautiful firearm that I would love to keep, but have decided to sell it to help fund a new adventure with my son.
When the time comes, I will purchase another Parker. I will be a bit more educated by then.
Have a great day,
David

Brian Dudley
07-09-2012, 11:52 AM
Dave,

Nice Parker you have there. Grade 1 most likely. Does it have any checkering on it? Hard to tell by the pictures. If it has no trace of original checkering, it may be an O grade (even though it has engraving on the locks). It looks to be in Fair to Good condition overall. Looks tight and solid. My only concern would be the barrels. Look to be pitted on the outside with little finish showing. How are the bores? 32" is a good length, anything longer than 30" is usually a bit more sought after. The hammer screws are not correct. You can get new replacements from Tom Carter here on the Forum.

David Eberhardt
07-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Thanks B. Dudley,
The stock does not have any checkering but is in very nice condition regardless that it’s 130 years old. Everything seems tight and works freely. I do not want to devalue the gun by cleaning the exterior. I don't know what a "good, better or excellent" bore should look like so I cannot grade them, though I don't see any pitting. I am aware that the hammer screws & washers are not original, but I thought the person that purchases the gun should make the call on the condition (originality) of the piece. By looking at its current condition, I can imagine that this gun has seen many birds over the years, and was most likely treasured by the owner.
It’s hard for me to imagine anyone putting a piece of family history like this gun up for sale.
Now it’s just a nice classic firearm for sale with an unknown history.

Steve McCarty
07-24-2012, 10:10 PM
Dave: that lifter Parker is the kind of gun that a lot of collectors want. I know of a fine gunsmith in Bend who specializes in refurbishing guns like yours. How are the bores? Wondering how deep the pitting is on the outside of the barrels.

Whatever, it is a nice Parker and if you want to sell it I'm sure there will be people here who will be interested.....I am one of them....

Value? While no expert here, nice guns with good bones in shootable condition go for around a grand. Very nice guns, tho not pristine can go for around 25K or more.

Steve McCarty
07-24-2012, 10:23 PM
Dave: that lifter Parker is the kind of gun that a lot of collectors want. I know of a fine gunsmith in Bend who specializes in refurbishing guns like yours. How are the bores? Wondering how deep the pitting is on the outside of the barrels.

Whatever, it is a nice Parker and if you want to sell it I'm sure there will be people here who will be interested.....I am one of them....

Value? While no expert here, nice guns with good bones in shootable condition go for around a grand. Very nice guns, tho not pristine, can go for around 2.5K more or less. A quite nice gun can push $4,ooo. A very nice one...oh, maybe has high as 6 or even 8 (The sky is the limit.).

I think your gun is a very nice gun, but not NRA fine because the barrels look pretty pitted to me...The wood looks very nice tho and I'd love to own the gun. I don't have a lifter gun. I would grade it as very good. But like I said, I am only looking at pictures and I am not an expert, and we have some here who will probably disagree with me.

Good luck! Sorry that you cannot keep your Parker. They sometimes become a family member. A company called RST makes shells especially for your gun that will not blow it up. Actually the barrels of these guns can be quite strong....without seeing it, of course; I have no idea how robust your Parker is....it might be unsafe to shoot, so find out before you try her out. You'll have to order RST shells through the mail.

David Eberhardt
07-24-2012, 10:33 PM
Hi Steve,
The gunsmith in Bend had been out of the shop for several weeks, and I have yet to make contact. I am definitely in the mood to sell. If you have any more suggestions or need any photos or info, please feel free to ask. When I have enough supporting information, where or how would I go about listing my gun?
Thank you,
David

Steve McCarty
07-25-2012, 02:41 PM
Hi Steve,
The gunsmith in Bend had been out of the shop for several weeks, and I have yet to make contact. I am definitely in the mood to sell. If you have any more suggestions or need any photos or info, please feel free to ask. When I have enough supporting information, where or how would I go about listing my gun?
Thank you,
David

I have purchased two rather expensive shotguns this year so my quota is used up. So I'm not in the market for a new gun, but yours is a pretty nice gun, at least from what I can see.

Google gun auction sites, there are a bunch of them and select the one you like best and deal with them, then you'll get in touch with the nation wide market. I've never sold a gun on one of them, but I very seldom sell a gun. I hoard.

I'm sure there are guys on this site who have sold guns on the web and certainly they will be able to give you more info that I.

Gary Carmichael Sr
07-25-2012, 09:07 PM
Dave you can indeed buy another Parker but time with your son is fleeting, I also admire you for spending quality time with him! I certified my son when he was twelve years old, thru PADI, those days in the quarry, and in the ocean I will always remember, he was a big boy for his age and used twin fifty tanks, I still look at the photo's I took of him with that old Nikonos camera still have it! Gary