PDA

View Full Version : Reload 20 gauge RST 2 1/2"

Eric Grims
06-26-2012, 08:23 PM
I have a pile of RST 2 1/2" hulls (2 star cheddite) and a friend has a MEC jr. for me. Plan to buy a short kit IF I can come up with a low pressure fold crimp recipe for a 1915 VH. Help anyone? Ballistic products does not list one.
Thanks

edgarspencer
06-27-2012, 07:18 AM
I bought a 16ga. kit to convert my 20 ga. 600 Junior, but they sent me the new style, so I just ordered another, new version, Junior in 12. Now I have something for 12,16 & 20. Ballistic Products never mention the kit to raise the shells up on the closing station, but $30 seems a bit much for a spacer. I just lowered the crimp starter, and the finish plunger. I'm getting nice 6 points with RST papers most of the time. Occasionally, one may look a little funky.
I definitely like the old model 600 Junior more than the new one.

lee r moege
06-27-2012, 03:24 PM
I will soon have available a couple of Ponsess Warren 375 reloading presses that will work for 2 1/2" shells . I also have a recipe I got from one of our members to fill 2 1/2" RST's both 12 and 20. One press will be stripped with only the wad depth stop, primer station, and wad guide assembly less the bushing and wad guide fingers. I will include a partial set of "Type B" 12 and 20 gage dies. The other press will be set up for 12 and 20 gage "Type C" taper type tooling for 2 1/2", 2 3/4" 12 and 20 gages and a conversion for 3" 12 gage also. I have coming a new PW progressive with tooling for both gages and I'm down to only one 2 1/2" gun a 12 ga. Dan Lefever for which I can buy enough RST's to shoot. Drop me a PM and I will give you what I have for reloads. I haven't set a price on the presses yet as I don't want to turn loose till the new one is set up and running. I have been loading on these a while and as I'm either shooting to much or taking on to much stock work, I need to load faster. Have a nice day!! Lee.:bigbye:

Rich Anderson
06-28-2012, 09:51 AM
I'm loading the 2 1/2 RST with a Mec Sizemaster in 12, 16, & 20. The 20 was able to be adjusted so I didn't need the short kit.

PM me and I'll send you the load data I have. It's all low pressure and IF your gun is in good condition and has sufficient wall thickness (damascuss) you should be fine with these.

Paul Harm
06-28-2012, 02:00 PM
The spacer kit is a bit much. All you're doing is making the shell go up in the final crimp far enough to hit the tapper so the end of the shell isn't belled out. I had converted an old Grabber to load 10ga - problem was my shells were 2 5/8, not 2 3/4. All the shells were belled out. Then I realized why - they needed to go up in the final crimp more. End of that idea. So now I'm back to the single stage with a spacer. You could make one of wood, steel, or what ever. Paul

jim garrett
07-10-2012, 04:08 PM
You may need to compare the RST hulls to RIO hulls...I found out that RIO is making a high percentage of the hulls we see now including one by one of our US mfgrs.

Dave Miles
08-11-2012, 08:25 PM
You may need to compare the RST hulls to RIO hulls...I found out that RIO is making a high percentage of the hulls we see now including one by one of our US mfgrs.

The last I knew, RST was using Cheddite hulls, which are different from RIO hulls.

CraigThompson
08-12-2012, 11:30 AM
I have a 600JR set up for 2 7/8" 10 gauge and it works fine !

I am in the process however of setting up some older style 600JR's for 12 , 16 and 20 . Since I shoot both 2 /34" and 2 1/2" in all three gauges I wanted something "quicker" then the normal MEC short kits .

Seems Precision Reloading makes a brass spacer you can use in single stage MEC loaders for about $13 . However they only make them for the 12 and 20 . So my plan is to order one of each and then have a machinist friend to make me another out of brass , aluminum or steel for the 16 gauge !

This brass spacer thing seems far better suited (to me atleast) for someone like myself that loads both gauges and doesn't care to be constantly changing tooling etc .

Jack Kuzepski
08-12-2012, 02:32 PM
For a real quick and easy fix to the short kit on a single stage press, I found that I could make one out of plexiglas/Lexan for next to nothing. First, I removed the shell holder because I didn't really need it as the tooling centered the hull anyhow. Next, I made a "U" shaped cut in the plexiglass to fit around the support column of the press. Then I marked the holes to be drilled in the spacer where they are done on the press base and drilled them. The large return spring (around the column) just holds the spacer in place. I used 1/8" for loading 2-5/8" shells and 1/4" for any 2-1/2" shells that I load.

Jack Kuzepski

Dave Suponski
08-12-2012, 04:26 PM
Great idea Jack.