PDA

View Full Version : A Fitting End to a Parker Magnum

Steve Kleist
10-25-2009, 11:32 AM
Two drake redheads fell stone dead into the decoys at the same time two broken halves of a beavertail forend fell into the blind.
My Parker was out of commission and my retirement project was ruined.
Let me back up.... A year ago when I retired, one of my "Bucket List Projects" was to make a beavertail forend for my Parker Reproduction Magnum. The gun was purchased with a splinter forend, which I do not prefer, but a functional double trigger magnum, especially one with screw in chokes, is a rare find. In northern Minnesota where I live, the winters are very, (very,) long. I completed the project, fitted the forend, and checkered the work with an ameteur's precision (very little duct tape required).
I've shot the gun quite a bit...one and a half seasons in the blind, as well as upland hunting and regular sessions at the local skeet club.
I tried glueing the halves with quality epoxy buit it did not hold. I now must replace the forend.

Does anyone know of a source for Parker Beavertail forend blanks? I am a bit of a Do-It-Yourselfer with about seven months of pushing logs into the wood stove looking me in the face. Any advice finding a blank would be most appreciated.
Thank you in advance. Steve Kleist Ely, MN

Kenny Graft
10-26-2009, 06:33 AM
Wenig gun stocks is one. web= wenig.com You can get a reddy to final fit and checker from them in any grade of wood...$$$ thanks

Steve Kleist
10-26-2009, 09:55 AM
Thank you Kenny. I will follow up. A woodworker friend claims the forend is quite repairable as well. The project was fun and I may just make another. Your expertise is appreciated. Steve

Joe Bernfeld
10-27-2009, 02:22 PM
Does your homemade forend wood fit the original splinter forend metal? I ask because if you buy a forend shaped to fit the original beavertail forend metal, it won't fit the splinter metal.
Joe

Steve Kleist
11-02-2009, 11:15 PM
Joe, Thank you for the info. Yes, I made the beavertail to fit the splinter forend hardware. If I get a prefitted new beavertail I may have to fit it even more. Your advice is appreciated. Best Fishes, Steve Kleist - Ely,MN

Does your homemade forend wood fit the original splinter forend metal? I ask because if you buy a forend shaped to fit the original beavertail forend metal, it won't fit the splinter metal.
Joe