PDA

View Full Version : Bird recipe

Richard Flanders
10-24-2009, 09:52 PM
Here's a recipe I got from a lady friend who trains retrievers and does the trials circuit for a living. She used to live in Alaska. I helped her buy a nice little Cub once and she ended up as a pilot/biologist for USFWS not long afterwards with all the ratings in the book.. She assures me that this is a very yummy recipe. I'm going to try it soon on either pheasant or chukar breasts or whatever bird part I can dig out of the freezer...

Patsy Martins sharptail recipe

Melt about 3 tablespoons of butter in a cast iron (of course) skillet. Saute 2 chopped cloves of garlic. Add stripped breasts. Saute until pink in middle. I know I don't need to tell YOU not to over cook them. Not sure when I added the mushrooms, but probably now. Then add good sherry, not a cheap one. Worth another trip to the store for the difference. Add 2-3 Tablespoons of sherry, saute lightly. Not sure if I used heavy cream of half-and-half. Add whatever you have to coat the breasts and mushrooms. Heat, but don't let it boil after you add the cream.

Domestic mushrooms probably won't have the same flavor combination as the wild ones, but it should still be good. If you ever get shaggy manes, run out and kill a sharp-tail to eat with them.

Probably should dress in your wool long johns to get the proper effect.

hugh rather
10-25-2009, 09:44 PM
Sounds great;I'll try this one on some doves we got today on a duck scout.

Richard Flanders
10-26-2009, 01:42 AM
Great Hugh; let me know how it turns out. I'll be trying it soon...

Richard Flanders
10-26-2009, 10:35 AM
Well?? Hugh?? Triggs wife and I are waiting for a recipe report... She wants to try it on the goose we brought back from Alberta. Speaking of which, anyone have a good goose sausage recipe?

hugh rather
10-27-2009, 10:55 PM
Did a variation with onion soup[Campbells] and sauterne wine[sherry works good too];this is a good easy way.I cover the birds with foil and finish in the oven in the iron skillet the birds were browned in.This recipe works well on squirrels and rabbits too.

Richard Flanders
10-28-2009, 12:19 PM
I did this recipe on pheasant last night. Awesome. Don't scrimp on shrooms, butter, or sherry. I had a nice #1 Idaho baker to soak up the gravy. Excellent feed washed down with some good red cab.