PDA

View Full Version : Biking Across Kansas 2012

Bruce Day
06-17-2012, 09:21 AM
Some of you know that I do a little bit of bicycling and often do the annual bike across Kansas ride. This year we started on the Colorado border by Sharon Springs, then Oakley, Hoxie, through the beautiful Solomon River Valley to Logan, then Downs, by Glen Elder to Clyde, the Nemaha River Valley to Centralia, then Troy and to the Missouri River at Elwood. We started with 850 riders from 8 to 83 years old, average age late 50's, many in their 70's. About half male, half female, yes, some very fit and trim, others not so. Some coming back from cancer or obesity, others athletic their whole lives. They came from 36 states , Kenya, Japan and Ireland but most were Kansans or had ties to Kansas. The ride is 475 miles and has much to do with Kansas history , we stop off at old folks homes, many townspeople come out and its been quite the event here for 36 years.

We had NW high winds going north of Oakley, 30-40 mph and many went past a feed lot where the wind was blowing and ended up covered with the wrong end of the cow. But then we turned east and coasted at 26mph for the next 20 miles. A few days of struggling with high winds finished off some folks but then the winds died to 10-15mph ( the norm in Kansas) and the rest of the ride was beautiful. Kansas is not flat and and many struggled up some of the hills.

Most days in the low 90's and high 80's, but low humidity in western and central Kansas. A great delight is coming into the overnight town and stopping by the local VFW or American Legion club bar and getting an ice cold beer, so cold that it has ice crystals. Walk the streets of the town, listen to the farmers finishing their day with a beer and you hear lots of hope for change. The only community organizers are the moms who arrange to feed the 900 plus of us riders and support people and the farmers who come into town in the evening with a pair of draft horses and a hay wagon to take folks on a tour of their small town.

We have a couple paralyzed veterans who ride hand crank recumbant bikes. Lots of people ride recumbants that have a sling chair. Others like me ride a traditional upright. I'm kind of a bike enthusiast and for this I rode a mid 1990's California made Italian Simonetti lugged steel frame with full Campagnolo components. Its light and fast and I could keep the speed up especially when riding with others in a pace line. But it doesn't matter, some do it on bikes 30-40 years old .

Heard quail most all the way across the state. Saw some hen pheasants, should be an OK hunting year this fall. The wheat harvest was underway, harvest down this year because of a continuing drought.....a good year on the high plains is 18 inches of rain but this year and last its only been maybe 12, much worse in western Oklahoma and the Texas panhandle. Visited a friend's feedlot, 30,000 cattle, but although beef prices are high, so are feed costs with the drought. Expect to pay more for beef and find less supplies.

Well here's some photos. Its not an easy ride but with perseverance people make it to the end, say they will never do it again and then about January start waiting to sign up again. I'm riding across Iowa on RAGBRAI with the Air Force team in late July and will post photos of that also.

calvin humburg
06-17-2012, 11:15 AM
4 picturs up where is that cool barn? Boy, I wish I had an old school barn at my farm. Thanks for the pictures Bruce.

Bruce Day
06-17-2012, 11:40 AM
About 6m WSW of Troy, Calvin. One of the few round barns left.

Tom Wooden
06-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Great pictures, thanks for sharing the experience.

John Dallas
06-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Was hoping to see a 110 year old bike with damascus tubes restored by Brad. :eek:

Bruce Day
06-17-2012, 04:25 PM
If I could I would, John. But hand made and hand fitting is important in a first class bike also. Here's one of mine with hand filed and fitted lugs. Next is a carbon fiber tube one with jointed titanium overtubes that are butt welded and engraved. Not mine but I admire the work.

Kyle Lambright
06-17-2012, 05:35 PM
Thanks for posting. That looks like a very interesting ride. I ride some, too, and really enjoy the excercise and getting together with the club. It's one of the few forms of excercise I really enjoy. I find myself thinking, "I wonder if I can sneak out today and get in a ride." I don't think I've ever had that thought about going to the gym.
I'm gearing up for Hotter 'N Hell Hundred down here in Texas. I did the 100 mile ride last year (it was 109!). It's a great ride with about 14,000 riders. I think it's the largest century in the US.
Thanks again for posting! - Kyle

Drew Hause
06-17-2012, 05:54 PM
Good for you brother! And for the uneducated philistines, the World's Largest Ball of Twine is in Cawker City :p

Week after next I'll be at Camp Geronimo sewing up scouts. It's a good week when we have no Air Evacs!