PDA

View Full Version : Help with Parker size 3 frame

Eldon Goddard
05-29-2012, 05:27 PM
I bought a Parker VHE several years ago it is a 12 gauge size 3 frame made in 1912 with vulcan steel barrels. I was wondering if size 3 frame 12 gauges are rare and if any one could possibly make 10 gauge barrels for it. I bought a Parker Gun Identification & Serialization book but the serial number is unlisted. Any help on the subject would be helpfull.

Dean Romig
05-29-2012, 07:28 PM
Eldon, a 3-Frame twelve gauge Parker is a pretty uncommon gun. Keep your eyes and ears open for a set of orphaned ten gauge barrels that you can have fitted to your gun.

Destry L. Hoffard
05-29-2012, 08:17 PM
Did you buy this gun from a gentleman in the Chicago area? If so, I've handled it and it's a very decent shotgun. I actually thought I had the 10 gauge barrels to fit it but they wouldn't make a match.

Destry

Eldon Goddard
05-29-2012, 10:04 PM
Here are some pictures. No I did not get in Chicago. I bought it from a man who claimed his grandfather ordered it new in the south, Alabama if I remember correctly. I am currently in the middle of a full metal restoration by Doug Turnbull but I so far have only been able to afford to have the barrels refinished as I am a poor college student. I do not usually believe in restoration but the gun was already refinished in a finish similar to a 1911 from WWII ironically refered to as "Parkerized" finish, so something had to be done. The trigger guard and the top lever still have this finish which can be seen in the photos.

George Lander
05-29-2012, 11:40 PM
I had a 3 frame Parkerized VHE at one time. I'll check the SN & see if this happens to be it. Was the frame Parkerized as well?

Best Regards, George

calvin humburg
05-30-2012, 08:02 AM
Hello Eldon, cool gun! ch

Gary Carmichael Sr
05-31-2012, 07:29 PM
I am glad to see you spending your beer money on some good Parkers, keep it up and you will have a great collection and education to boot! What's your major? Regards Gary

Eldon Goddard
05-31-2012, 08:33 PM
I am currently working to finish my thesis for a Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering.

Steve McCarty
07-26-2012, 08:10 PM
I am currently working to finish my thesis for a Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering.

Mechanical engineering......you'd make a great gunsmith.....or you will likely develope an appreciation of the works of great guns. Good for you! The works of fine guns is fascinating and I hope that you enjoy a lifetime of studying them. Your Parker is an excellent start.