PDA

View Full Version : WC Scott Pigeon Gun

Ed Blake
05-15-2012, 10:31 AM
http://www.joesalter.com/

Go to Antique Longarms and its #19487

Very cool old gun. The comb enhancement is very interesting.

Bill Murphy
05-15-2012, 12:44 PM
It doesn't appear to be added on.

Don Kaas
05-15-2012, 02:12 PM
Scott more or less invented the Monte Carlo stock or at least brought it to prominence in their advertising.

Drew Hause
05-15-2012, 03:01 PM
The editor at Sporting Life was unimpressed by the development :rolleyes:

http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/SportingLife/1893/VOL_20_NO_20/SL2020015.pdf
Feb. 11, 1893 Sporting Life
MODIFIED GUN STOCK. "Something New From England Which Isn't Popular"

A representative English gun firm recently devised a new gun stock which is quite a novelty, but not likely to find favor with many sportsmen. The firm terms the new stock a "modified stock." This stock, while retaining the extreme drop at the butt, has a parallel bend along the face line from the comb to five or six inches back, giving the same alignment at any point between these limits, subject in some cases to slight modifications.
It is generally conceded that shooting is greatly improved when the stock fits easily against the face at the moment of sighting. This cannot always be obtained when the drop of the stock continuously increases from the comb to the extreme butt. As most guns used by American sportsmen have a bend of one and three-fourths inches at comb to three inches or more at butt, there is an increasing slope of about one-fourth-inch between these points. It follows that in shooting a high-flying bird the face presses against the stock nearer the comb than when aiming at a low-flying bird or ground game; therefore, according to the flight, high or low, so the sight is taken at various distances from the comb and practically increasing or diminishing the bend of the gun at each shot.
English and continental sportsmen for years have used stocks parallel from comb to butt, but the extreme drop of guns which has prevailed with American sportsmen, although there is now a tendency to use straight stocks, has interfered with, the attainment of that desideratum - easy and accurate shooting.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com:80/VOL1373/6511424/15656750/293204097.jpg

Don Kaas
05-16-2012, 10:23 AM
As seen in the back page advertising in "Pigeon Shooting" by A. W. "Bluerock" Money

Ed Blake
05-16-2012, 12:22 PM
I believe this gun was on the Joe Salter website a few months back. Don't know if there is any significance to its return. What a great project though. Bill Murphy should order this gun on approval and check the chokes and barrel wall thickness.

Chuck Bishop
05-16-2012, 02:33 PM
If you look real close, you can see where the Monte Carlo has been spliced in. It's not a straight across cut, it's a curved splice.

Don Kaas
05-17-2012, 08:30 AM
I bought an early Grade 6 Remington Autoloading Shotgun (aka Model 11F) from Joe Salter. The stock had been cut and there was a faint line where the original piece put back on. I saw it in the photos and asked about it. Joe Jr. said he did think it was but he would show it to the others in the shop. He got back on the phone and said. "You win. It was cut." I bought an 8 gauge Parker from them too. Nice people.

Bill Murphy
05-17-2012, 09:29 PM
Now I see the splice.

Robert Delk
05-17-2012, 10:14 PM
Heck of a nice job on the splice. Do you think it might have been done in the original manufacture?