PDA

View Full Version : What can I do?

WayBeau
05-02-2012, 10:18 AM
I have a Trojan 16 that looks good for seeing its fair share of duck blinds and dove fields. The finish on the wood and barrels seems (to my untrained/experienced eye) to be 80-90% at least. I've never shot this gun as it was passed down to me from my father, who got it from my grandfather, who undoubtedly got it from my great-grandfather. The end of the barrel is where the problems arise. There is a small, maybe 1mm, 'dent' in one of the barrels and the bead is gone. :shock: The dent is of an outward nature in the very end of the barrel and could probably be classified more as a gouge (like it was dropped onto a sharp corner or something).

So what can I do to fix these 'defects'? I'd like to get this fixed if possible.

Thanks.

Bill Murphy
05-02-2012, 10:33 AM
Where are you located?

Eric Eis
05-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Take a photo of it, this does not sound too bad, but we need to see photos of the barrel.

WayBeau
05-02-2012, 11:19 AM
I'm located in Virginia. I'll try to get a good picture of the barrel when I get home tonight.

WayBeau
05-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Here are some pics of the gun, in particular the damage to the barrel. Let me know what you all think my options for repair might be.

Ed Blake
05-10-2012, 02:07 PM
Where in Virginia? I think that is an easy fix if I am seeing it correctly. Slip a mandrel in the muzzle and with a small hammer (brass?), tap the crease down.

WayBeau
05-10-2012, 02:16 PM
Where in Virginia? I think that is an easy fix if I am seeing it correctly. Slip a mandrel in the muzzle and with a small hammer (brass?), tap the crease down.

I'm in Waynesboro. I'd love it if it could be fixed easily. Do you happen to know of someone who could do it?

Carl Brandt
05-10-2012, 05:19 PM
If that were my gun, I would not be able to resist the urge to have a go at it myself. I think that I would start with a mandrel that just fits the bore and with a non-marring hammer - probably nylon and then work my way up to brass. Don't try to do too much at a time and above all else - DO NO HARM. If at any time you don't think it is working - STOP.

WayBeau
05-11-2012, 08:48 AM
Get a set of PIN GAGES off of ebay in the size that you need for 16 gauge barrels and use the pin gage to force the barrel back to round and tap the small dent down. Pin Gages usually come in sets with 50 or 60 or 70 gages in a set. You may need to put a small radius on the ends of the pin gages that you use. Good Shooting To You, Jent

How would I know what size I need? I'll be the first to admit that I have zero knowledge of anything metal working or mechanical. That's kind of why I was hoping to find someone who would qualified enough to fix it for me.:o

Rick Losey
05-11-2012, 09:00 AM
you could contact some one like Brad Bachelder - he comes well recommended on this board - and this repair would be a no brainer for him.

http://www.bacheldermastergunmakers.com/Bachelder_Master_Gunmakers/Welcome.html

WayBeau
05-11-2012, 10:15 AM
you could contact some one like Brad Bachelder - he comes well recommended on this board - and this repair would be a no brainer for him.

http://www.bacheldermastergunmakers.com/Bachelder_Master_Gunmakers/Welcome.html

Thanks for the tip. Now if I can find someone nearby in Virginia.

Rick Losey
05-11-2012, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the tip. Now if I can find someone nearby in Virginia.

you can ship the barrels to an expert for repair - make sure any local "gunsmith" knows what he is doing - even for a simple fix.

WayBeau
05-11-2012, 10:47 AM
you can ship the barrels to an expert for repair - make sure any local "gunsmith" knows what he is doing - even for a simple fix.

I was really hoping someone here would know and could recommend someone in Virginia. If not, I guess I'll be shipping the barrels. I've found a few people who seem to do very good work, just no one close by (or even in the state).

Richard Flanders
05-12-2012, 03:19 PM
That would be a 15min job with a small brass hammer and a few pin gages. It will never look perfect but will certainly be minimized and sound.

Ed Blake
05-13-2012, 02:50 PM
Call these guys. Al Edge in Caroline County 804-448-1119, or Ned Purcell in Orange 540-661-3392. Talk to them. They can tell you whether they can do it. This is not a big job. Find a piece of pipe at the hardware store to serve as a mandrel and hammer it out with a brass headed hammer.

John Campbell
05-13-2012, 04:12 PM
WayBeau:
A set of pin gauges is likely to cost you more than the cost of this repair by a qualified gunsmith. Way more. If it were my gun, I'd simply take the barrels off, package them carefully and send them to Del Grego. With the help of UPS, your problem will be solved. And professionally so.

Best, Kensal

charlie cleveland
05-13-2012, 06:40 PM
i agree with the fellows this looks like a easy fix...if youre to unsure of yor self to fix it just about any good car body man has the tools and rite hammers to fix this gun...sure the pros can fix this gun but there usally awful busy most of there turn around time is long....plus the cost of shipping and insuruance is gona not be cheap plus the pros want do this for nothing..im not running the pros down they do quality work....but this looks like a simple repair....just my 2 cents worth..... charlie

John Campbell
05-13-2012, 08:23 PM
WayBeau:
I'm willing to bet a good smith will turn this around quite fast because it's so easy for a pro to do. But please... don't consider your local bump shop!
If you're really stuck for service, PM me. I'll fix it up for you gratis. Just pay shipping. And you will never see the fix.

Best, Kensal

WayBeau
05-13-2012, 08:39 PM
WayBeau:
I'm willing to bet a good smith will turn this around quite fast because it's so easy for a pro to do. But please... don't consider your local bump shop!
If you're really stuck for service, PM me. I'll fix it up for you gratis. Just pay shipping. And you will never see the fix.

Best, Kensal

I'll most likely be contacting one of the guys that Ed Blake recommended, but thanks for the offer. I wouldn't take it to my local gun shop. I have a hard time taking ANYTHING there since they mounted the scope on my deer rifle with a gangster cant. Let's just say that I entered a whole new dimension of P.O.ed when I realized that it wasn't because I tend to lean to the right.:banghead: That's also the last time I let someone pick up my stuff from anywhere after a service job. But I digress.

I do appreciate all of the replies and will definitely post pics once I get it fixed. The next step after that is, dare I say it, getting it refinished.:duck: