PDA

View Full Version : Parker-Hawes Fly Rods

Bruce Day
10-19-2009, 08:49 AM
8ft 5wt

9ft 8wt

Both rods have red agate stripper guides, one has an agate tip top. Both three section with extra tip. Both have wood seats with friction bands. The maker's mark is on the seat cap. They come with aluminum tubes and black fabric bags.

Made 1926-1936.

The rods are owned by a friend. The reel is mine but an old Hardy or Dingley would be more commensurate in age. I'm looking for a rod.

Dean Romig
10-19-2009, 10:08 AM
Good to see you back Bruce!

Are those rods yours? They're beauties for sure!
I've seen a lot of old collectible-name rods but never a Parker-Hawes. They must be about as scarce as gills on a grouse.

Dave Fuller
10-19-2009, 10:20 AM
I've looked for a long time and never found one. Very nice Bruce

Sante Giuliani
10-19-2009, 10:30 AM
Have owned a few Hawes Rods over the years and have seen several more but these photos of the Parker-Hawes are stunning and would love to own one myself especially that 8'. It is generally believed that all of the Parker-Hawes creations were by Hiram Hawes' son Merritt, thanks for sharing them.

Destry L. Hoffard
10-19-2009, 06:20 PM
The Master Waterfowler Returns!

Bruce Day
10-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Sante', thanks for refreshing my recollection about Merritt Hawes. I too have seen or been offered original Hiram Hawes rods, wonderful craftsmanship by the way, but the Parker-Hawes rods by Merritt Hawes seem to be even more uncommon, or at least I have yet to find one that is or might be available. But the enjoyment is often in the journey, so maybe some day. Do you see any difference in craftsmanship between the Hiram and Merritt Hawes rods?

Do I understand correctly that Hiram H. worked for Leonard? Did Merritt also?

Sante Giuliani
10-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Hiram Hawes, and his brother Loman worked for Hiram Leonard, Loman was the genius behind the Leonard beveler (and later as part of the team of Thomas, Edwards & Hawes after breaking from Leonard) and Hiram Hawes the genius behind the tapers, his influence was from the tournament style casting perspective. The Hawes boys were nephews of Leonard all very capable rod smiths.

Hiram married Cora Leonard (Hiram Leonard's daughter who held many tournament casting titles on her own) and after Leonard died Cora, Hiram and Mrs Leonard all moved to Canterbury CT, I don't believe young Merritt worked at Leonard but he obviously learned at the hands of a master in his father. The numbers kind of equal out, i.e. there were probably around the same amount of rods made by Hiram as there were by Merritt according to the writings of Martin J. Keane and not a lot realistically.

Bruce Day
10-20-2009, 09:58 AM
An interesting history. Obviously when Parker had the opportunity to partner with Merritt Hawes for marketing and distribution of a bamboo fly rod, they chose one of the best.

Francis Morin
10-21-2009, 08:04 PM
[QUOTE=Bruce Day;5850]An interesting history. Obviously when Parker had the opportunity to partner with Merritt Hawes for marketing and distribution of a bamboo fly rod, they chose one of the best. And the Stan Bogdan "Trout" model reel is a fine choice as well. My favorite rods were the pre-fire Leonard 3 pc. series- the 49 7 & 1/2 ft 3/2 5 wt and the popular 50DF or even the Richard Hunt series of tapers. Very interesting about the relationships between the Leonard, Hawes, Thomas and others of the long-ago now era of craftsmanship. I believe Winchester also marketed cane rods in the 1920-1930 era, have only seen one- not sure of the manufacturer. Michigan where I live gave birth to the lates Lyle Dickerson and Paul Young, I have a Paul Young 7 & 1/2 foot 2/2 "Perfectionist" made in the 1950's in Detroit when they sold at retail with bag and Champion tube for $60.00. It is a "Steinway" indeed, I use a Hardy LRH on it with a Wulff TT 4/5 line-:bowdown:

Sante Giuliani
10-21-2009, 08:37 PM
You have fine taste in bamboo sir! I owned an original Model 50 DF Hunt 8' 3 pc CA 1928 it is now making another smile. Many of the Winchester rods were made by Eustis Edwards then later by lesser makers. I too enjoy the works of your Michigander's and have owned, or own still, rods by Dickerson (7613, 8014, 8014 Guide, 8015 Guide Special, 8615, 9015, 9015 Special, 901812, 962013 and a bait caster) Young (Para 15 Deluxe KT Keller Model, Midge owned by Dody Ford (Edsel's daughter and Henry's grand daughter) a Martha Marie and Martha Marie Young's personal Perfectionist made for a 4 wt dt silk line marked in Paul Young's hand) Bob Summers model 856 and Morris Kushner's Formula B....... Love Bogdan and Hardy reels too!

http://www1.zoto.com/fishnbanjo/img/original/286c724bb6e8e572e89156412c9b29df.jpg

[QUOTE=Bruce Day;5850]An interesting history. Obviously when Parker had the opportunity to partner with Merritt Hawes for marketing and distribution of a bamboo fly rod, they chose one of the best. And the Stan Bogdan "Trout" model reel is a fine choice as well. My favorite rods were the pre-fire Leonard 3 pc. series- the 49 7 & 1/2 ft 3/2 5 wt and the popular 50DF or even the Richard Hunt series of tapers. Very interesting about the relationships between the Leonard, Hawes, Thomas and others of the long-ago now era of craftsmanship. I believe Winchester also marketed cane rods in the 1920-1930 era, have only seen one- not sure of the manufacturer. Michigan where I live gave birth to the lates Lyle Dickerson and Paul Young, I have a Paul Young 7 & 1/2 foot 2/2 "Perfectionist" made in the 1950's in Detroit when they sold at retail with bag and Champion tube for $60.00. It is a "Steinway" indeed, I use a Hardy LRH on it with a Wulff TT 4/5 line-:bowdown:

Dave Fuller
10-21-2009, 08:42 PM
Bruce Day pointed out on this BBS awhile back that although the American gun craftsman is largely a thing of the past, the American rod and reel craftsman is alive and well. Here's a Bellinger reel that I bought from Al Bellinger himself at his shop last spring. Its as fine a reel as was ever made.

Francis Morin
10-21-2009, 09:17 PM
I had a Morris Kushner 7' 9" 2/2 "Excelereme"- but like the Young Parabolic series, I was more atuned to the crisper casting characteristics of the pre-fire 3 pc. Leonards. My DF50 was made in about 1958, I have never yet cast a Hunt Model 50- the flamed cane and blued hardware and reel seats were so pleasing to both the eye and in hand. Morris Kushner apparently was a friend of the late MI trout/legal/flyfishing/OldCabinStill consuming UP curmudgeon extraordinaire-- John Voelker! He was mentioned in Trout Madness I believe.

I have my reels set for LH winding (from the spin casting era I guess) and I was a good friend of the late Bill Hunter, he got me both the LH Trout and the LH Steelhead Bogdan reels many years ago. Stan's son Steve, who I believe is in charge of the Company up in Nashua NH- was a USN machinists' mate and had duty in the Gulf of Tonkin during the Vietnam Era- Strange isn't it, how the very Tonkin reeds that may have later become the Garrisons and Gillums and other fine "sticks" grew stronger in the Monsoons of the Gulf area.

I also have owned a few of the Captain Mac MacChristian SeaMasters and the early Gar Wood Fin-Nors (aka- the "wedding cake" design) and have used them salmon and steelheads--also salt water work, along with the no longer made Penn reels (Senators and M stainless spool models). Now 90% of the fly reels sold by catalogue houses are made in Korea, even Abel had to move in that direction to stay profitable.

I find it interesting to compare the graphite fly rods to the cane rods as comparing a Binelli 12 gauge with black synthetic stock to a Parker DHE- both variations will peform (if set up properly) but dry fly fishing for trout with a good cane rod (and balanced reel) is like bird hunting with a good dog and a fine double (side-by-side for me)- as the late Gene Hill once wrote: "A sense of doing it right". I met Gene years ago on a Orvis book signing tour out here, we chatted about trout and salmon fishing and he told me his definition of a "Hardy" fly reel, to wit: A reel that when dropped onto large rocks in Alaska will keep on working"_ :bigbye:

Bruce Day
10-22-2009, 08:44 AM
I have a very few quality reels and even fewer bamboo rods, and I am in awe of Sante's fine and significant collection of bamboo fly rods. I am also in awe of Francis's knowledge and experience in these works of fine craftsmanship. Sometimes people do not realize that some of these rods and some reels are comparable in value and scarcity to the lower end of Parker shotguns.

Dave, the Bellingers are outstanding works of craftsmanship by all accounts. I'd like to handle one some day. Fine reels turn like Swiss watches. We live in interesting times with a few Bogdans still being made, the Bellingers, high end Abels, the Hardy Perfect being made again, and several more. And for rods, we have great individual makers who have taken the place of the multi person shops of the past. It only takes money ( like $2000 or so) and time ( like 1 to 2 years). Simroe is still making rods and that is a direct line to the Leonards and Hawes of the past.

I don't own a Parker-Hawes rod, maybe someday, but I can surely admire them.

Dean Romig
10-22-2009, 09:26 AM
I think auction results of the past decade or so will show that some of the rarest and finest cane rods have commanded prices considerably higher than the lower end of Parker shotguns . . . unless one considers grades up to B or even A to be included in the "lower end". Of course, such cane rods are as rare or rarer than a fine graded Parker.

Sante Giuliani
10-22-2009, 10:16 AM
Since my father's unexpected death in 2007, leaving us with an unsettled estate and funeral expenses for which a few rods got sold to keep us above water, I've seen prices all over the map for quality cane and quality condition Parker guns.

I also had the misfortune of having to sell off more of my rod collection, several reels and a 98% 16 VHE to defray medical expenses for kidney failure and non-Hodgkin Lymphoma.

I'm currently holding my own and thankful for that and for having once owned some fine specimens of rods and shotguns which paid me back when I needed it most. Both bird hunting and fly fishing have meant so much to me they both played a key role in rehabilitation just wish I felt stable enough to try the woods of October for myself and Levi my Weimaraner.........

I think auction results of the past decade or so will show that some of the rarest and finest cane rods have commanded prices considerably higher than the lower end of Parker shotguns . . . unless one considers grades up to B or even A to be included in the "lower end". Of course, such cane rods are as rare or rarer than a fine graded Parker.

Dean Romig
10-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Sante, I'm sorry to learn of your health problems. I sincerely hope you are well on the road to full recovery and will always be able to enjoy your favorite pastimes.

Best Wishes, Dean

Bruce Day
10-22-2009, 10:33 AM
Sante, you are recognized as a thoughtful and considerate sportsman and I wish you a successful recovery. Best wishes and fishes.

Francis Morin
10-22-2009, 02:45 PM
[QUOTE=Dean Romig;5949]I think auction results of the past decade or so will show that some of the rarest and finest cane rods have commanded prices considerably higher than the lower end of Parker shotguns . . . unless one considers grades up to B or even A to be included in the "lower end". Of course, such cane rods are as rare or rarer than a fine graded Parker. I concur Dean. Just as some VHE Parkers have been "counterfeited" and sold to folks (and I don't include the Pachmayr upgrades in that lot) many cane rods were also "counterfeited" and sold to the uninformed as to the 'insider info"..Case in point- the fine Jim Payne 201- a nice 8 ft. 3 pc. 2 tip rod in either 5 or 6 wt. tapers- nice dark cane, swelled butt with keeper, various styles of reel seats offered, blued Payne (not Super-Z) pinned ferrules- and in many ways similar (except for market value) to the middle to higher Heddon rods made in Dowagiac MI- A friend brought me his "Payne" 201- one tip blued ferrules, wraps intact, die straight- but not in original bag and tube- so the lack of the second full length tip, original labelled bag and tube made the rod "affordable" to him, and he had always wanted a Payne- BUT- it was a Heddon 20 with changed wraps and reel seat (Heddon like the molded screw Bakelite style, sometimes in black (like the San Francisco R.L. Winstons) sometimes in a blend of colors like a marble0- and the node spacing on the Heddons was the same as Jim Payne used- BUT the nodes had been altered (Payne nodes were always flush with the surface) and the ferrules were NOT pinned- Payne didn't glue his ferrules, he heated the cane to swell it to a tight fin and a 1/64" dia. GS through pin was inserted in the through drilled finished ferrule--You'll have the Devil's own time removing a Payne ferrule without causing damage--Must be something akin to what others have said about the always in demand for a top quality double (Parker) and a fine cane rod (Parker-Hawes, Leonard and Leonard Mills, Everett Garrison, Harold Steele Gillum, Loman Hawes) and amazing also how many of these rodsmiths had an engineering background- The great Super-Z ferrules developed and patented in 1948 by Louis Fierrabend also speaks to this, as Z is the modulus of elasticity--

Also, as Sante means "health" in French I believe, my respects to our brother PGCA member Sante and hopes for an upturn in the health situation. We are all, in some way, merely custodians of the fine shotguns, rifles, fly rods and reels, etc. that speak of the higher echelons of the sporting life.. Some day they will pass into other hands- Fate I guess!!:shock:

Bruce Day
10-22-2009, 06:01 PM
Dean and Francis are quite correct. I see where there is a Gillum for sale for $6700, a Dickerson for $5300 and a Paul Young Midge for $4700. Rarified levels for sure. I wasn't aware asking prices had climbed so high.

Francis Morin
10-22-2009, 07:28 PM
I will share a reported story about the late Harold Steele Gillum, who was a friend of the late Jim Payne apparently. He lived in CT (Ridgefield perhaps) and like Jim Payne, was known for his meticulous finish varnish work. Someone had tipped "Pinky" Gillum off that another un-named rod maker was going to drop in for a surprise visit, hoping that "Winnie" Gillum would allow him into their home, where he had his rod shop in the basement- So "Pinky" was waiting for him. had a three inch wide painters' siding brush in his hand, dripping with varnish, and told the "visitor" that he was too busy finishing a rod to talk, to come back another day. Don't know if that is 100% true or not, but from what I have heard about Mr. Gillum, sounds about right.

The really, IMO anyway, sad thing about the great gunmakers, also the great cane rod makers and fine (Vom Hofe, MacChristian, Walker, etc.) marque reel makers is- their works of superior design and craftsmanship become of greatest value only after they pass on and are no longer making them. :shock:

Paul D Narlesky
10-27-2009, 09:52 AM
Thanks to all who have contributed and posted pictures! I have been a cane rod lover since I was 17 years old and I cast my first rod in about 1965 when I was about 12. I own a few dozen and that is not very many when you consider I have been collecting and fishing cane rods for almost 35 years. As you guys probably know there is nothing like a fine bamboo rod in the hand when you are on the water. It is a lot like carrying a fine Parker in the field, it just adds depth and a certain sweetness to an already fine day. I cannot think of a more beautiful rod than a Parker Hawes. I really like Hawes tapers and I too hope to add a Parker -Hawes to my collection. My memory tells me that the ad in sportsman magazine that I have saved introduced the Parker- Hawes partnership and rod in 1929 or so and that was just before the crash because as we know the Parker gun was sold to Remington in 1933-34. The Parker - Hawes rods were sold only for a short time and in small numbers. They are tough to find and tougher in good or better original condition. I must admit too I buy and sell vintage tackle, I try to make a living doing so. I get much satisfaction putting a fine rod or reel in someones hand knowing that the connection to hand craftmanship and history is being continued. Thanks & Best,Paul

Paul D Narlesky
10-27-2009, 10:26 AM
"Wandrod" 7ft 2pc 2tip rod circa 1923-24 Unbelievably light in the hand. I have had many, many rods in hand some as fine but none finer than this. Yes I choose to leave this rod in unrestored condition. It is stamped on the nickel silver buttcap "Winchester made in USA 6173 " The rod sold 60.00 in 1924. The price of a model 21 a few years later
The red wraps and maroon tipping and very dark cane suggest this rod to be among the earliest of this model it is not signed by EW Edwards but to me clearly shows his hand. I am lucky to have it come into my posession. Oh I hope the picture shows up as I am a rookie on our newer site!

Dean Romig
10-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Paul, is that an agate tip guide? That must really slow the action when using that tip.

Dean

Paul D Narlesky
10-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Yes Dean, an agate it is, It was customary at the time to offer agate tip tops as an option and sometimes standard to have one agate and one wire or nickel silver tip top on quality rods. Agate was the smoothest and hardest (though fragile) available at the time. I am sure it did effect the action on this featherweight. The lower end rods had untempered wire of brass, plated or not, nickel silver, or untempered steel. the constant movement of line through the tip top ring often wore grooves that chewed up the silk lines and ruined them. The Perfection tip company Denver, Colorado, came out with a smooth tempered steel tip top that reduced this significantly and by the late
1920's their tip tops were used by many many companies on their rods. Winchester had a "roto tip" that was under their patent, came out in 1931 or so very nice on heavier rods but still heavy on a delicate rod such as this. Best,Paul

Francis Morin
10-27-2009, 03:24 PM
Very astute observation Mr. Romig- I have an early Paul Young 8 & 1/2 foot 2/2- one tip is about 1/64" thicker than the other and it originally had a red agate tip guide. Mr. N is 110% right about wire guides and tip tops chewing up lines, especially the older braided silk ones-- I had Bob Sommers up in the TC area (near our cottage at Boyne) replace that with a Perfection tip top, and he also replaced the heavier agate first or stripper guide on that rod with a later style compatible with the new lines. I use Wulff TT lines on all my cane rods. Some Hardy Perfects also had agate ring line guards- they would often break while contained inside the ring--one way, amongst many known to the cognoscenti here, to date a cane rod is by the guides, including the first and tip guide, also the wraps and the ferrules. I believe Paul Young and Everett Garrison were the first premiere rod builders of that era to adopt the Fierrabend Super-Z ferrules in the late 1940's-- Young rods are "Steinways" IMO- only one mistake, again IMO- on a few super light sticks he built- and son Jack later re-offered, he tried aluminum ferrules- Bob Sommers has replaced several sets of those for clients with the far superior Super-Z's, again, IMO.. I'm down to about 10 good cane rods in the 7 to 8 &1/2 ft. lengths in both two and three piece- some pre-fire Leonards, a few Grangers (both Goodwin and later W&M) several Merrick R.L. Winstons and a Gary Howells (who was to R.L. Winsto9n as Bob Sommers was to Paul Young), but the very last rod I would ever part with is the Paul Young Perfectionist 7 7& 1/2 ft. 2/2 5 wt.- Like a Marttin HD-45 guitar or a Parker AAHE 20 bore- a true "Classic" that also performs to "Perfection"--:cool:

Richard Flanders
10-27-2009, 07:50 PM
My first fly fishing in 1957 was with a 9.5' cane rod with an old Pflueger saltrout reel(which is on my dresser upstairs) that had two tips, one with and agate tip, an ancient silk line and old stiff gut leaders and absolutely ancient flies that quickly disintegrated. I will never forget the first time I trundled down Hummer Lake Rd to Rattlesnake Creek that ran through Kowalski's pasture and into Beckmans Lake with my rod and wicker creel. Not ever. I had my other grandfathers Southbend cane flyrod for years also but have neither now. I know where the first one is, but haven't access to it just yet....not forgetting about it though. I think I'll get it someday. Too bad I broke one tip in the tailgate of our 1959 Ford stationwagon in about 1963 while using it for, of all things, night time bullhead fishing on a lake at the intersection of Seymour Lk and Sashabaw Rds.... funny how you don't forget some things, eh?

Francis Morin
10-27-2009, 09:13 PM
I had a older Montague "Rapidan" 9 foot 3 pc two tipped rod and a Pflueger Medalist reel with the old silk DT line- that was my first fly rod when I was a teenager. I left the reel with the line spooled tightly on the dash of my 1951 Chevy coupe, we were "Up in Michigan" fishing the main branch of the storied AuSable River-went into Grayling to eat and buy more flies- the summer sun welded the silk line tight, I had over-dressed it with flotant wax apparently-so I borrowed a friend's Pflueger green SalTrout reel and used it- back then I didn't know line weight or WF versus DT from beans. It took the trips with the man who left me the Paul Young rod I treasure to really get into the full Mantra of dry fly fshing- just as there is a right way and a wrong way to walk into a gun dog rock solid on point, there are right and wrong ways to fly fish, and strangly enough, you can still kill your bird(s) over points with the wrong approach to the dog, as you can also catch trout with the wrong approach to the water (sometimes)--

I recall a hunting trip about 28 years ago this coming early November-the station wagon you mentioned with the "electric chopper window" which has shortened many a fine fly rod indeed- My old now long gone but never forgotten Setter "Molly" was in her prime as a grouse dog (and not too shabby on pheasants either) and then my steady bird hunting partner, Lea Rogers and I were up near Rodney hunting a favorite cover. He drove that day, his wife let him take the big Ford deluxe station wagon with the plastic fake wood trim, and we had the travel crate for Molly in the back- Lea was in the advertising racket and had a real blinger of a week I guess, hoped a Saturday after birds would unwind him- I was in good form, it was almost my birthday and my work week welding at the ConPowCampbell plant went very well- he picked me up after early breakfast, we pack lunch and water for Molly and headed up to our "hotspot"- He drove the station wagon down an old two track, we left her out and uncased the guns (we both shot doubles, a 20 for him and a 12 for yours truly- both grouse, woodcock and pheasant were legal--

Long story made a bit shorter, I shot two grouse, missed two woodcock and took a big Rooster pheasant, although he needed the second barrel- Lea had "fanned" on seven solid points on grouse in a row- we took a long lunch break- sandwiches, coffe, apples, Purina and water for Molly and a nap in the shade of some oaks- refreshed, we went back to the hunt- I finally connected on a woodcock (I'm NOT a good shot on timberdoodles, or snipes either) and again, Lea went like the Detroit Lions last season- one goose-egg after another. It's often best to remain silent when your partner is wound up like a top, when he blows easy shots over points, or every backcast puts his Royal Coachman into the trees--

On the way back to the car, right in the center of the two track in front of us, Molly locked up on a point- solid as a fireplug- heavy brush on both sides, almost like a gutter ball in bowling, and I told my partner to take the shot- he walked in and kicked up the biggest grouse I have ever seen, also the dumbest apparently- a right or left banking turn would have put him inescape cover faster than a heartbeat- he flew right straight towards the car, Lea was so intent on making the shot he didn't see it, he hammered the bird from behind with both loads, the bird crashed into the back of the station wagon, and in slow-motion, all the glass in the rear window shattered like ice crystals and fell to the ground, making a Libby-Owens-Ford style "string of pearls" for the trophy grouse- it was a long, cold and quiet trip back home that afternoon.:duck:

Sante Giuliani
12-09-2010, 08:30 AM
For those who would like to know a bit more about bamboo fly rods I have a book that came out and began shipping on Monday it can be seen at http://www.whitefishpress.com/bookdetail.asp?book=108
I also have a website called Fishnbanjo's Place where the entire Cracker Barrel series can be read it is at http://fishnbanjosplace.yuku.com/directory there are more segments on the website than in the book. Regards.........

David Dwyer
12-09-2010, 09:36 AM
I purchased an Orvis Battenkill split tonkin bamboo rod in the mid 60s. It has a broken tip and would like to have it"repaired" I believe that would involve having a new tip made. Whom would y'all suggest ask to do that??
David

Bruce Day
12-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Orvis, and I understand they are reasonable in cost. We'll see if Sante and Paul have the same recommendation.

Sante Giuliani
12-09-2010, 09:56 AM
I think the reasonable prices for Orvis sections kind of dried up with Ron White retiring from the head rodmaker position. What Battenkill is it? Perhaps I may be able to find you a tip......

Paul D Narlesky
12-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Hello Sir,I agree with Bruce, Orvis has a great customer service and repair department probably the Oldest fine Bamboo rod company in the country in continuous service, in both building rods and repairing and refurbishing bamboo rods. They will fix it right and for a reasonable price. Best,Paul

John Dallas
12-09-2010, 03:25 PM
If Orvis can't do it, try Bob Summers in Traverse City, MI. He apprenticed with Paul young many years ago. One of the great american craftsmen, and a generous supporter of conservation and the NRA.
http://rwsummers.com/index.html

Robert Delk
12-09-2010, 10:46 PM
All this talk of fly fishing and fine tackle has made me think of all the wonderfull times I had as a kid on the North East river in Maryland with my fly rod and hand tied flies.I still collect rods and reels but just cannot bring myself to cause discomfort to a fish anymore.Same thing with hunting and I know it is a little strange but I just cannot bring myself to take a life anymore,even the spiders and bugs in my house get a pass.I don't object to eating game collected by someone else though.I miss hunting and fishing but I guess I have had my limit of killing.I still like to read about others doing these things though.

Robin Lewis
12-09-2010, 11:44 PM
Robert, you should "hunt" with me.

I hunt but seldom kill. This year, all I did was take a gun for a walk; but to tell the truth, I wasn't all that interested in harvesting, just hunting. I was in the woods deer hunting just to be there IF my brother's grand-daughter shot her first deer (she is 16). I even joked that I wasn't going to load the gun.

I bird hunted a week, bear hunted a week and deer hunted part of a week, all on the same trip to PA....... nothing. Rained (actually it more than rained) for bird hunting, bear season... only 3 were shot within walking distance of camp but I never saw them and deer (I saw three..... shhhhhh) didn't get shot either.

I still like getting in the woods and talking to other hunters. This year was unusual in that I came across seven youth hunters in the woods. They were not together, just happened to be on the same mountain. It has been a long time since I have seen that many young hunters in the woods or fields! The sights and especially the Fall aromas are wonderful. And, I get some much needed exercise too.

Some of my tree hugging friends give me grief about hunting but I explain to them that hunting isn't killing. I am almost to the point of hunting with a camera but there is something about walking with a fine old gun that makes the "walk" even more enjoyable.

When I was young, I guess I was a meat hunter but now its more about the experience and the memories of days gone by. I can't help but remember all the good times I had with friends and family that are no longer around. In a few years when I am not around, maybe my grand-niece will think back fondly to the times she hunted with me, I can only hope.

john niemiera
03-07-2011, 11:38 AM
re: Parker-Hawes Fly Rods

Bruce Day please contact me regarding these rods.

www.niemieraflyrods.com
john@niemieraflyrods.com

Bruce Day
03-08-2011, 09:47 AM
For those who are interested, John is a younger rodmaker of growing reputation and is doing some fine work. He has a relationship with Eric Clapton, who is a sportsman of some renown and sometimes plays a little guitar. Besides, John is an Eagle Scout and a Parker shooter.

Like the Parker Reproduction and the Parker made by Connecticut shotguns, we may not have seen the last of the Hawes or Parker-Hawes rods.

Richard Flanders
03-08-2011, 12:31 PM
The cane rods on Johns website look very nice and seem very reasonably priced. Good to see more people making fine cane rods.

Bill Murphy
08-30-2017, 03:13 PM
UP for all this fly rod discussion.

Tom Flanigan
04-06-2018, 05:18 PM
An interesting history. Obviously when Parker had the opportunity to partner with Merritt Hawes for marketing and distribution of a bamboo fly rod, they chose one of the best.

I just came across this post. I am a collector of fine vintage split bamboo fly rods and a fanatical fly fisherman. Forgive me for saying this Bruce, but the Parker Hawes rods do not command a high price on the market. They are generally considered somewhat below a good Granger or Wright and McGill which were production rods and semi-hand built. Those that I have seen for sale usually sell for between $300 and $400, far below collectible fly rods by Leonard, Dickerson, Howells and others.

I have never owned or cast one so I can't personally say one way or the other, but the market hasn't been kind to them. I consider the Leonard the Parker of the split bamboo fly rods and have a fine collection of them. I fish them almost exclusively.

I don't know how the marriage of Parker and Hawes came about, but Parker did not choose a top maker in my opinion. The only claim to fame is the association with Parker. A fact that the vintage fly fishing market cares nothing about.

John Dallas
04-06-2018, 05:30 PM
Tom - Where do you fish? Ever get to the Au Sable in Michigan?

Tom Flanigan
04-06-2018, 06:08 PM
I have fished across the country from coastal cutthroats in Oregon to Atlantic salmon on the Miramichi in New Brunswick in Canada. I take three trips a year to Colorado, Montana and Wyoming. My favorite trips are to the Rockies in Colorado. I spend five days alone hiking and fishing alpine lakes above12,000 feet for the beautiful greenback cutthroat trout, once listed as an extinct species.

I navigate with a topo and navigational compass. I plot my route using National Geographic software and print out my coordinates using waterproof paper.

There is nothing better than fishing solo for the greenbacks with the nearest human being about 10 miles away. I am addicted to the high peaks, greenbacks and the many mountain sheep I see each day. They rarely if ever see a human and don't mind your presence unless you try to get too close to them. During the rut, I have taken pictures of rams fighting. Its an awesome experience.

My home river in the West is the North Platte in Wyoming and in the east the Housatonic which is 20 minutes from my Pawling NY home. I have never, unfortunately, fished the Au Sable, a classic and storied trout river. Some day I hope to fish that historic river.

Richard Flanders
04-06-2018, 06:37 PM
Tom, have you read any of John Gierach's fly fishing stories? I'm reading his "Death, Taxes and Leaky Waders" right now. Good stories. He lives in Colorado I think and fishes there a lot and shoots a Parker, at least for doves.

Dave Suponski
04-06-2018, 06:48 PM
Tom, I have spent many a day fishing the Housy. Love that river....

Dean Romig
04-06-2018, 07:21 PM
Yeah, Gierach shoots a Parker. I've told this story here before but I like him and his style so I'll tell it again.

He drove into a smallish but boutique-ish Colorado town and pulled up to the curb in his old truck. He got out and began walking toward a store when a young woman confronted him saying that she wasn't comfortable with that shotgun in the back window of his truck. He turned to face her and in his no-nonsense style said "That's no shotgun lady - that's a Parker." And he turned around and went into the store.

Dean Romig
04-06-2018, 07:24 PM
Tom, that looks like a caddis pupa imitation stuck in that greenback's dorsal fin....

Tom Flanigan
04-06-2018, 08:38 PM
I've met John Gierach a few times. He is a friend of my close fly fishing buddy who lives in Estes Park, Colorado, John's stomping grounds. John has given me some his books inscribed to me and talked about getting together with our cane rods and fishing the Big Thompson river, a favorite of his and mine.

I stay at my buddies house when I do my high peak trips. I usually fish a couple of days with him on private water to acclimate to the altitude. Then I'm off for five days on the high peaks and fish one day with him when I return.

Acclimating a couple of days helps, but I always get altitude sickness when I climb to about 10K feet. When I cramp up and start to ejection vomit, I lay down where I am and sleep to the next day. I'm too sick to put up my little one man tent. I'm better after a nights sleep and then can continue my trek. I takes me three days at altitude before I feel normal.

Dean, you have an amazing eye for detail but its not a caddis pupa. Insects do not live above the tree line. But the winged insects get brought up to altitude on the thermals from below and this is what the greenbacks feed on. They cruise close the bank picking off the insects.

You fish for them by standing in one spot and then casting ahead of them when they swim by. You never have long to wait since the greenbacks are very plentiful in the few alpine lakes where they still exist. Virtually any dry fly will work. They don't spook when they see you but they scatter quickly if you put a line over them. They have only about three months to feed before ice in so they are not selective at all and will rise to any well placed fly.

I take no food with me and limit my backpack to 30 pounds. Every ounce matters when you are climbing to altitude. I eat brook trout that I catch at lower altitudes and bring five days worth to altitude with me. I don't like killing them but I have no choice. For a green, I boil the leaves from the green clasping leaved twisted stalk plant. It is wonderful eating and tastes like a cross between swiss chard and cucumber. I eat well.

Here is a brookie from one of my lower altitude beaver ponds. They are beautiful and incredibly plentiful.

Tom Flanigan
04-06-2018, 08:49 PM
The picture didn't upload so I'll try again and also include a picture of a greenback from an outflow creek. The creek greenbacks are much smaller but they are especially beautiful.

Dean Romig
04-06-2018, 08:49 PM
I've got to go to my Prosek book on trout to see how he paints the greenback. The one in your picture has a tail more like an adult "square tail" salvelinus fontinalis than other cutthroats and rainbows of the Western Slope that I have seen... Interesting... but I'm not questioning your identification of that greenback cutthroat.

Tom Flanigan
04-06-2018, 09:07 PM
I don't know if Prosek has actually trekked to their environs and painted from a real greenback rather than his impression of what they look like.

That is a greenback for sure Dean. They only exist in about a 20 square mile area of the Colorado Rockies and above about 12K feet. There are no other trout existing in these environs..

I know cutthroats intimately. I have been on a quest to catch all of the remaining cutthroat sub-species that still exist. I only fish for them in their native drainages and each fish has to be a true aboriginal wild fish. I have five subspecies to my credit and only need the lahontan and Bonneville to complete the slam. I plan to add them this year.

It is interesting to note that each separate greenback alpine lake has its own color scheme on the trout. They look a bit different depending on which alpine lake they come from. Creek fish look different also.

The greenback male spawning color is almost red and is spectacular. I'll have to scale down some pictures and post them for you.

Dean Romig
04-06-2018, 10:23 PM
Actually James Prosek is a fantastic painter of fish and in his book "Trout, An Illustrated History" and in fact, even the cover illustration is the Greenback Cutthroat Trout. I was not questioning your identification of the fish in your photo - it is unquestionably as you describe, a Greenback Cutthroat.

I do see however that Prosek paints his with slightly rounded upper and lower 'corners' of the caudal fin where in your real life photo they appear to be sharp corners... probably due to finning in the water. Also worthy of note is that they in fact do not have a forked caudal but have a very shallow V and almost square across.

Tom Flanigan
04-06-2018, 11:21 PM
Dean, forgive me please. I am not trying to disagree, but the greenback is my favorite trout and I am very partial to it and the incredibly beautiful area it inhabits. I’m sorry to say this but I have never ever seen a greenback trout that looks anything like that painting. Even though greenback coloration differs a bit from creek to creek or alpine lake to alpine lake, that painting does not look like any of them.

The tail is all wrong. Greenbacks have a square tail. The colors on the side of the fish are all wrong. Greenbacks are not that color green but rather a light copperish tan color to a more cream color. And all have a faint pinkish to red line from tail to gills. Not as pronounced as the rainbow but there nevertheless.

The multi-color fins are laughable and the spots are all wrong. Except for the tail area, greenback spots are above the lateral line and much less profuse than in the picture. In fact, most have very few spots other than the cluster of spots in the tail area.

Greenback is a misnomer. The trout has no true green on it, although many are of an olive sort of color but it is always light. I don’t know how greenbacks got that name.

That is an impressionistic rendition and bears no resemblance to a true greenback. That picture reminds me of Partker’s flying turnips. It’s that bad.

I shouldn’t care about incorrect renditions but I do because it does tend to confuse people. If someone paints a greenback trout, it should be from life and an accurate representation of nature. The problem is that few care to endure the pain of climbing to high altitudes. Few have ever seen or caught one.

I trek to their environs every year and have been for many years. I fish them in July after ice out and again in October most years. I have caught hundreds of them. The greenback and its environment are in my soul.

When I get a moment, I’ll post a few greenback pictures for you so you can see what they really look like. They are an absolutely incredible fish. They were listed as extinct in 1936 but in the 80’s, they were found by an expedition that took samples of the fish back. DNA testing proved that they were in fact the greenback that was thought extinct. The categorization of the fish was changed to endangered.

Fishing for them is allowed but all must be returned to the water unharmed. Of course, law or not, I would never dream of killing one of those jewels. I haven’t killed a trout for about fifty years except for the brookies I bring to altitude to provide substance over the five days that I spend with the greenbacks and bighorns.

Tom Flanigan
04-07-2018, 12:03 AM
Dean...just one more tidbit. The greenback is not a fish of the west slope drainage. There are none west of the continental divide. The Colorado cutthroat sub species inhabits areas similar to the greenback but at lower altitudes west of the continental divide. The Colorado cutthroat and the greenback look a lot alike.

Its funny that there are no greenbacks west of the divide but they are close to it. I hike the divide and then turn east after five miles to get to my greenbacks. I have to hike a total of about ten miles to get to them with much elevation gain. But its well worth it. They are absolutely enchanting.

Tom Flanigan
04-07-2018, 01:03 AM
This is a July male greenback in spawn colors. He does have a few spots below the lateral line but its not common. I'll post an October male shortly

Tom Flanigan
04-07-2018, 01:14 AM
This is a picture of a male greenback in October. This is typical coloration which varies somewhat from lake to lake and creek to creek. But this is what they look like.

Dean Romig
04-07-2018, 07:55 AM
Impressionistic for certain Tom. I'm sure you have noticed that paintings of fish, in this case trout, can't possibly portray the wild strength of the life within - can't possibly portray the luminescense that life gives to a fish's aboriginal being, the shimmering colors and pulsating hues as he struggles to gain freedom. Kill that fish and the luminescense immediately disappears and the colors go flat. Seconds earlier it was quite a different being but in death it is nothing more than a meal... with some color.

I rarely kill a fish anymore either. In fact, I can't remember the last fish I killed but I think it was a mess of white perch my grandson and I caught at my place in Maine to fry up for breakfast with blueberry pancakes... or should I say, "Downeast Crepes"

Anyway, you'll get no arguement from me Tom - you've been there and done that while I have never fished those Rocky Mountain environs and have never seen a Greenback Cutthroat Trout other than in pictures. My trout of choice is wild brookies in New England and eastern Canada.

Tom Flanigan
04-07-2018, 09:19 AM
I'm right with you Dean on brookies. They are a wonderful fish. Pictured below are a couple of my Rocky eating trout, a male and a female. It really hurts to kill a wild brookie.

Tom Flanigan
04-15-2018, 01:09 PM
I purchased an Orvis Battenkill split tonkin bamboo rod in the mid 60s. It has a broken tip and would like to have it"repaired" I believe that would involve having a new tip made. Whom would y'all suggest ask to do that??
David

It is better to have the maker, if still in business. make any repairs. Orvis cane rods, while at the lower end of market value because there are so many out there, can do the work and at a reasonable cost.

I have an Orvis 7/4 rod built by Ron White. I had an extra tip made for the rod and the sets taken out of the tips that came with rod. It cost $350 and I had the rod back in three weeks.

The market is not kind to impregnated cane rods. But, from a price / performance perspective, many Orvis cane rods are sold for bargain prices.

Dean Romig
04-15-2018, 05:17 PM
But for a 'working' cane rod it is hard to beat an Orvis impregnated rod for durability with a minimum of care and maintenance.

Tom Flanigan
04-15-2018, 05:56 PM
For sure Dean. I've used them for years. although my Leonard's are my go to rods. I have a few Orvis Ron White rods that I am attached to. My 7/4 built by Ron White is a favorite. I tend to buy rods based on the person who built them. All but one of my Leonard rods were built by Ted Simroe.

If someone wanting to start fishing cane asks my advice, I always point them to the Orvis Battenkill's. They are truly great rods that won't break the bank. I never understood the market's aversion to impregnated rods. The Leonard Duracane and the Orvis rods are workhorses but they both take a hit for being impregnated. Not valid in my opinion.

Jean Swanson
04-17-2018, 01:05 PM
Bruce

Looking over this post, I immediately recognized the Stan Bogdan reel, a personal friend from Nashua, NH.

When I was picking up one of Stan's reels at his home, that the PGCA presented to Art Wheaton in 2009, he signed and gave me print number 14 of 25 " The reels of S.E. Bogdan celebrating the early years 1945-1965". Nothing I asked for, he just did it. Stan was a perfect gentleman, a kind person, and an excellent craftsman.

Allan

Tom Flanigan
04-17-2018, 01:14 PM
Bogdan reels are to be treasured and always bring premium prices on the market. I've never owned one but plan to one day. They are absolutely classic reels and look good on cane rods. No better workmanship and they do appreciate year over year.

Dean Romig
04-17-2018, 01:32 PM
That is one thing I have always wished I had put away some "mad money" for. At this point in my life I can only hope to find one in a yard sale.

Bruce Day
04-17-2018, 03:18 PM
Light trout reel on a Jenkins 7’9”. I’ll post other photos sometime.

My shrine to Bogdan.

Dean Romig
04-17-2018, 03:25 PM
Really nice Bruce.

Russell E. Cleary
06-11-2018, 01:29 AM
This has been a fascinating thread for me, on a topic I know so little about.

If I can distill, and possibly reconcile, what Paul N. and Tom F. have said about the Parker-Hawes rod, then it seems like it would qualify as a fine, but affordable, vintage cane rod to actually fish with.

Kathy G. and I just got back from a North Maine Woods fishing trip, where my guide summarily dismissed my no-name Japanese fiberglass rod, which I had received as a birthday gift in 1962.

He did say good things about my “poor but honest” Pflueger Medalist and old Ocean City reels, and employs his own of both brands.

Once we were in the canoe he put in my hands his Fenwick and Orvis rods, and being avowedly unskilled, I went with the flow.

But, I continue to consider the relationship between carrying a Parker gun afield and fishing with a fine, old cane rod. Even if I'm not planning to get involved, it is easy for an inveterate accumulator of vintage stuff to feel entrained by yet another delectation.

Tom Flanigan
06-11-2018, 12:17 PM
Fishing a fine cane rod is indeed akin to hunting with a Parker or other fine double. My go to rods are vintage Leonard split bamboo. They were built by hand which is a slow and painstaking process that involves much skill. With respect to the Pflueger Medalist, it’s a nice reel. I grew up fishing one. It’s not in the same class as my Orvis CFO’s or Hardy’s but it’s a good honest reel that also looks nice and is worthy to sit on a vintage cane rod.

I have never seen or cast a Parker-Hawes rod. They are rare and you don’t often see them offered for sale. I would like to own one, but only because of the connection to Parker. Their value when they do appear for sale is at the bottom of the price range for vintage cane rods. I suspect they are classed in the same league as a Montague, which is at the low end of the market. But there are many Montague’s out there still giving good service and my comments shouldn’t be interpreted as a hit on the fishability of that rod or the Parker-Hawes rod. My grandfather fished Orvis cane but had a Montague Manitu that he liked a lot. I still fish this rod from time to time.

The first picture is of a couple of rainbows on my home river in the west, the North Platte in Wyoming. The second picture is of a couple of Fine Spot sub species of cutthroat from my “secret” spot for these fish in the wilds of Wyoming, many miles from civilization. All my trout are taken on vintage cane rods.

Dean Romig
06-11-2018, 03:32 PM
I beg to differ with you Tom concerning the comparative values of the Montague line of cane rode vs. the Parker Hawes cane rods.
The very best examples of Montague rods might bring $200-250 on the best day... whereas a servicable Parker Hawes will bring well over $500 and the best examples command in excess of $1500.
Their manufacture may be somewhat comparable but it ends there.

Tom Flanigan
06-11-2018, 03:54 PM
Interesting Dean. Frankly I haven't seen enough of them for sale to say for sure. I have only seen two and, if I remember correctly, the prices were between $250 and $350. Hawes made rods before the Parker link and they do show up more often on the market. I watch the market closely because I collect fine cane rods.

As with Parkers, condition is everything and I don't remember what the condition of the two Parker-Hawes rods were. But I do know that the Hawes rods generally are not held in high esteem as working rods. It is my impression, maybe wrong, that they are considered somewhat below a good Granger or Wright and McGill from a functional perspective. Those rods, and I believe, the Parker-Hawes, did not receive a lot of time consuming hand work. The bamboo strips were milled by machine as opposed to the high end rods that were milled by hand by master builders.

Fine cane rods are every bit as collectable as Parkers. As with Parker, the best of the high end makers rod's appreciate in value over time. Hunting with Parkers and fishing with cane rods are the pleasures of my life.

Tom Flanigan
06-11-2018, 04:43 PM
Leonard cane rods are what I focus on and fish with the most. The first picture is of a Leonard 4 wt. 7' rod. The second picture is of a "Baby" Leonard 3 wt. rod. The Leonard is the Parker of cane fly rods, in my opinion.

Dean Romig
06-11-2018, 09:11 PM
Nothing wrong with the strips being machine-milled as long as the machine is set up with the utmost care. But of course a machine can only do what it was designed to do. The complex tapers achieved by experts who actually design the taper and plane the individual strips to perform precisely as designed are certainly a far cry from those "milled" by machine - and, like a Parker, it is always the touch of the artisan which makes all the difference. Nevertheless, a Parker Hawes is leaps above a Montague...

Tom Flanigan
06-11-2018, 09:26 PM
Nevertheless, a Parker Hawes is leaps above a Montague...
.[/QUOTE]

You'll get no argument from me Dean. I have never fished a Parker-Hawes or a Hawes. All I know about them is the couple I have seen on the market and the general opinion of collectors such as myself. In defense of Montague, their "premium" rod the Manitu was a well finished rod. My grandfather's Manitu rod fishes well and I've always liked it. It certainly is not on a par with my Leonards, but it is a decent fishing rod and I like to play with it from time to time on the Housatonic River in Connecticut, my eastern home river.

Greg Baehman
06-12-2018, 12:47 PM
Just so there's no confusion . . . H.L. Leonard rods were not hand-planed, the strips were produced with a beveler. A beveler is a little different from a milling machine -- a beveler utilizes two blades cutting with one pass as opposed to a milling machine that has one blade cutting with two or three passes. The old Leonard beveler is now owned and used by former Leonard rod builder Bob Taylor.

John Dallas
06-12-2018, 01:22 PM
Years ago, I bought a blank allegedly made by Bob Taylor. I have no way of actually knowing if he built it. I finished the rod and enjoy it today. It's an 8 foot for 4.

Tom Flanigan
06-12-2018, 01:42 PM
Just so there's no confusion . . . H.L. Leonard rods were not hand-planed, the strips were produced with a beveller. A beveler is a little different from a milling machine -- a beveller utilizes two blades cutting with one pass as to opposed to a milling machine that has one blade cutting with two or three passes. The old Leonard beveller is now owned and used by former Leonard rod builder Bob Taylor.he

That's exactly why I call them the Parker of cane rods. There was some non-manual work done on them but they were, like Parker, pretty much a handmade product that was built with great care. I consider the early Payne rods akin to the older London best doubles, all hand work. Parkers are not the equal of a London best double and Leonard is not equivalent to an early Payne or Garrison, but I love them both.

The beveler you mentioned was kept in a locked room at Leonard and few had access to it. Ted Simroe was my favorite builder at Leonard and I like the rods from his period the best. Others might disagree with that but I have a fondness for his actions. My collection of Leonard's are all Simroe rods except for a light salmon rod that I use for Atlantic salmon. I have fished Ted's rods from coast to coast. I no longer fish Oregon since I have added the coastal cutthroat to my quest to catch each sub species of cutthroat trout in their aboriginal drainages. But I will have a couple of Ted's rods with me this September on my quest for West Slope cutthroats and Bonneville cutthroats to complete my cutthroat slam.

Tom Flanigan
06-12-2018, 02:17 PM
Just a few more pictures of the Parker of fly rods, Ted Simroe's Leonard's. The first is a 5 wt. 8' rod, the second is a 5 wt 8 1/2 ft rod and the third is a 6 wt 8 1/2 ft rod.

Rick Losey
06-12-2018, 08:49 PM
Bob Taylor still attends the Catskills Rod Makers Gathering - he tells some interesting stories of the operation

and i have watched him demonstrate his wrapping technique - even videoed it once - still cannot figure out how he does it he is so fast

Russell E. Cleary
01-11-2020, 09:21 PM
I was just given a Weber MONOGRAM bamboo fly rod, accompanied by an Akron-built Pflueger Medalist 1494 ½ reel. Its owner (a neighbor) had inherited it, will not fish it and knew that I have connection, however tenuous, with fly-fishing.

I wasn’t going to get into another sphere of collecting vintage stuff (as per my above post on 6-11-18). But the gifted rod and reel were delivered to my door-step the day before yesterday –- left right there on a block of granite -- like an orphan. So, I guess it is my fate to be the person to render the rod fishable again.

The Weber MONOGRAM may not be the “Parker” of vintage bamboo fly rods, but doesn’t it at least qualify as an evocative, albeit "hardware store", side-by-side?

Victor Wasylyna
01-11-2020, 11:26 PM
I will not fish it

Then feed it to a panda. Fishing rods are for catching fish, not sitting in a closet.

-Victor

Russell E. Cleary
01-12-2020, 11:39 AM
Victor:

You misread my post and thus misquoted me.

It is my neighbor who will not fish it, and who gave it to me because I will fish it.

Russell E. Cleary
01-12-2020, 10:10 PM
When I removed the rod from its bag the tip guide slipped off the end of the upper section, and I could see that two loop guides were missing. Some helpful classic rod enthusiasts referred me to Dana Gray, current owner-operator of the Carlson Rod Company. As it turns out Dana’s shop is located in Townsend, Massachusetts, about four miles from my house; and not only does he build cane fly rods in the style, with techniques and equipment of C. W. (“Sam”) Carlson, with whom he worked and from whom he bought the business in 2002, but conveniently for me he does repairs.

I delivered the rod to Dana yesterday in Townsend, Massachusetts. It is an 8 ½-foot; 3-section, 1930s-era, Heddon-built, Weber Monogram, with Perfection tip; loop, and stripping guides.

Right off he began straightening the imperceptible-to-me bends in the rod and he will replace the two missing guides. Since there is a slight amount of play in the pined ferrules, he will re-secure those, as well.

Visiting the shop was a treat; and as for accessibility, who could ask for more?

Paul D Narlesky
01-15-2020, 10:41 PM
was likely made by Heddon of Dowagiac MI. They made many rods and had a complete line of rods under there own name such as Heddon Deluxe #35. They also made a line of quality rods that sold to the trade many of the same models and of similar quality. Your rod is in good hands with Dana. I have known him for many years and he is expert at repairs and building very fine rods himself.
Best of luck with your new classic bamboo fly rod, Paul

Russell E. Cleary
01-18-2020, 06:31 PM
My generous neighbor brought over what he called a “bonus”, to follow the gift of the Weber MONOGRAM rod: his grandfather’s aluminum fly box, containing some flies; and some vintage-looking rifle reloading implements.

The box itself I have started to clean up and restore, as the foam rubber material inside had petrified.

Below are pictured the flies. Large flies, I would say, for fishing in Big Country.

And the reloading items.

As it turns out, his maternal grandfather, George Alden Crandall (1906-1989), of Connecticut, farmed; was educated at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology; had a military career, then became a guide and sporting goods wholesaler based out of Casper, Wyoming.

Below is a photo of Colonel Crandall (standing to the left), on Peleliu Island, in 1945.

John Dallas
01-18-2020, 06:54 PM
I saw a box of flies from the 1930's for trout on the North Branch of Michigan's Au Sable River. They were nearly the size of golf balls -red, green, blue and yellow. Today, your flies nearly have to be anatomically correct. We've sure taught the trout well. Same thing with running phez and grouse.

Dean Romig
01-18-2020, 08:22 PM
I see Humpy’s, Adamses, Bivisibles, Royal Coachmen, and several others. Standards of the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s.

Mike Franzen
01-19-2020, 09:17 AM
Nice stuff Russell. The reloading gear looks like it’s for muzzle loaders.

Richard Flanders
01-19-2020, 09:24 AM
Good stuff. I have a vintage patch remover just like that for my 1842 .69cal Springfield musket. I have the modern version of that same main spring clamp also.

Russell E. Cleary
01-30-2020, 11:09 AM
I now have the blessing of my neighbor, and the muzzle-loading items will be donated to the PGCA Silent Auction that will be held at the April annual meeting.

Russell E. Cleary
02-15-2020, 07:13 AM
Back to the Parker-Hawes fly rod.

I retrieved my repaired rod yesterday from the Carlson [split cane] Rod Company. Dana Gray, the owner and hands-on rod builder is also a collector of various sporting artifacts. He does not own a Parker-Hawes rod, per se, which brand he holds in high esteem; but he did show me a Parker-Hawes 1 ½ -foot long rod butt section, displayed with a vintage reel mounted on it. It had been owned by Hoagy Carmichael.

I note in the PARKER PAGES, Winter 2010 article, entitled THE PARKER-HAWES ROD (by Bruce Day, Charles Herzog, Mike Kobos, Paul Narlesky, and Louis Parker III) that not all of the issued rods of that partnership had a serial number; however, this rod had one stamped into the metal on the butt.

What should be of interest to any Parker-Hawes rod owner (or would-be one) is that Dana possesses the Parker-Hawes factory records, which he had purchased at auction, and had been owned by Martin J. Keane.

Dean Romig
02-15-2020, 07:50 AM
Thanks for that excellent information Russell.
Where is the Carlson Rod Co.?

Russell E. Cleary
02-15-2020, 12:17 PM
Carlson Rod Co.

124 Haynes Rd, Townsend, MA 01469

(978) 597-5004

Prop. Dana Gray

He says he is in the rod building, not rod repairing, business; but, he did take on the job of replacing the guides of my "new" Weber 8 1/2-foot Monogram cane rod.

While there yesterday I acquired from him a new sleeve for storing each section and a used and period-correct aluminum tube for the rod (but not one of the dressier brass-capped Parker-Hawes-style tubes, as is illustrated for us in the PARKER PAGES article).

If you (or any Members) are interested in further inquiry or research therewith, consider my house as a possible staging area for your convenience. I live less than a ten minute country road drive from where Dana's shop is located.

Dean Romig
02-15-2020, 02:35 PM
Very cool! Thanks Russell.