PDA

View Full Version : glass beads or walnut shell

Rick Losey
04-28-2012, 11:29 AM
the late Tony Treadwells restoration book shows fine glass bead blasting as a first step to preparing damascus barrels for refinishing.

has any one tried the walnut shell media, I would think it would be less agressive, and certainly less cleanup concerns, but will it still clean enough to cut down on the finish prep steps?

Brian Dudley
04-28-2012, 04:28 PM
Walnut shells will surely be less abrasive, but may not be enough. They usually work well for paint.
Media blasting may be a better option for removing rust and such. What is the main think you are trying to remove? Rust? Or old Bluing? If it is just old bluing, use Vinegar.

Rick Losey
04-28-2012, 08:58 PM
Brian;

i think on the road show they call it "Patina" :)

just minor discoloration and uneven tones no original finish remains, and there is no noticable rust

Chuck Heald
04-29-2012, 04:59 PM
I think glass bead blasting a set of fine barrels is a mistake. Mossberg...o.k. In most cases it will double the work needed to finish the barrels.

Brian Dudley
04-29-2012, 09:22 PM
If there is no rust. I would just polish it out if you are going to refinish them. Bead blasting with over abraid the surface and just give you more work in polishing.

John Campbell
05-03-2012, 09:51 AM
OH:
Not all oracles are true. And in this case, bead blasting is not my recco. I'd polish with water-lubed wet-or-dry to about 400 grit, then refinish. The rust process will knock it back to about 350 anyway.

What they don't tell you about bead blasting is that it eats away the solder joints along the ribs. Not much but some. And in some cases, it's enough to loosen an old rib. Or pave the way for it.

And... if you're a novice at Damascus finish, I'd recommend sending that work out to a pro. You'll be much happier with the result.

Best, Kensal

Rick Losey
05-04-2012, 06:33 PM
thanks Kensal

the glass bead idea seemed a bit agressive, as for doing it myself, I am not a complete novice at gunsmithing, I finally considered my self past the hack stage after succesfully shaping and tempering a couple of springs and also a building a double set trigger from scratch, purchasing only the couple needed screws. And done a leather covered pad that got good reviews.

I contemplate my limits but I have managed to turned this
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg195/setterw/step1.jpg

into this
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg195/setterw/longviewpatchbox.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg195/setterw/butt-1.jpg

but then, having said that, I looked at what it takes to bend the stock, and will farm that out, and may send the barrels as well, time will tell

charlie cleveland
05-04-2012, 07:00 PM
mighty nice gun and finish....yes most of us can do some work on old guns..im still working on stevans and such...you are a bit ahead of me....really nice work charlie

jimcaron
05-10-2012, 07:49 AM
That is a gorgeous hunk of wood!

jimcaron
05-10-2012, 07:51 AM
OH:
Not all oracles are true. And in this case, bead blasting is not my recco. I'd polish with water-lubed wet-or-dry to about 400 grit, then refinish. The rust process will knock it back to about 350 anyway.

What they don't tell you about bead blasting is that it eats away the solder joints along the ribs. Not much but some. And in some cases, it's enough to loosen an old rib. Or pave the way for it.

And... if you're a novice at Damascus finish, I'd recommend sending that work out to a pro. You'll be much happier with the result.

Best, Kensal

I'm with you on that one. Seems to me bead blasting a fine barrel is sort of like using a sledge hammer to drive a finishing nail.