PDA

View Full Version : Cut Shells - Poor man's slug

Pete Lester
04-22-2012, 07:46 PM
Saw this on Doublegun. Not sure if it's a lost art or not. Gotta wonder what the pressures are. I do remember if you reloaded Peter's Blue Magic hulls enough they would do this on their own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3M46XVfVOU&feature=relmfu

Rick Losey
04-22-2012, 07:56 PM
I remember that from some gunmag article a few years ago - never disliked one of my SxS's enough to try it.

Besides. by the time you cut the shell, I expect that either the danger or you are over.

charlie cleveland
04-22-2012, 09:48 PM
i use to hunt with the old ELY brand of shells till one day i was hunting in the rain and got to were i could not hit a squirl ... happened to look down at ejected hull all that was there was the brass....shells had got soaked they were still shooting but everthing except the brass hull was going down that old cly bore barrel of that old model 11 rem...i use to hunt with...i gave up shooting the elys but brother them were the prettiest light blue colored shells you ever seen and the finish was so slick...wish i had some to lookat now..yep i bet them home made slugs could be rough on a extra full choke gun.... charlie

Bill Murphy
04-23-2012, 08:55 AM
I saw that clip on one of the gun shows this week. It is the most clearly demonstrated example of "using cut shells" I have seen or heard. In a cylinder bored gun or a screw choke gun with choke removed, it should be a piece of cake to take out a fairly large target at more than shotgun range. How about "blind busting" from across a river when having a bit of a problem with skybusters? It should do the job on a raft of water decoys at 120 yards.