PDA

View Full Version : New to PGCA

Terry Phillips
04-22-2012, 04:19 PM
I was just given a beautiful Parker 10 guage DHE by my dad. He inherited it many years ago. Thanks to your website, I learned that it was built in 1890 even though it looks brand new. It is a 3 frame with 30" Titanic barrels. The sides are engraved with a pointer dog and scrolls and the underside has what appears to be ducks. Along with the gun were several boxes of Remingtion 2 7/8 and 3 1/2 shells. Chambers seem to be long enough for the 3 1/2's. Can anybody tell me if they would be safe to fire? Thanks for the terrific web site.

charlie cleveland
04-22-2012, 05:25 PM
welcome terry you have fond the greatest bunch of parker lovers youve ever seen....you have inherited a great gun for your first parker...terry it would be adviseable to have a gun smith that is familar with parker guns and have your gun ckecked outespically the barrels to see if it is safe to shoot.... the gun was not chambered for the 3 1/2 inch magnum shells....terry would be best to shoot low pressure 10 ga shells in your gun if it passes inspection...these can be bought from various places but i recommend the rst shells....or load your on low pressure shells....good luck there will be some more fellows to pitch in and give some expert advise...if you can we all would like to see some oictures of your gun.... charlie

Terry Phillips
04-22-2012, 06:05 PM
Thanks Charlie, for the quick reply, Already had the gun checked out and it was given a clean bill of health. I just didn't know about using 3.5" shells. The forcing cone begins at 3.75" down the chamber. I think I'll stay with standard length shells. Here are some quick snapshots.. Thanks again for the advice.

Harry Collins
04-22-2012, 07:37 PM
Terry,

I dont want to rain on the parade, but I noticed a few things that might be of concern. The barrel flats have a "D" just before the weight of the barrels (5 with a small 2 for five pounds 2 oz). "D" stands for Damascus barrels. I also see lines around the barrels as if they have been mono-blocked (original barrels cut off and new barrels inserted). There were no 3 1/2 inch shells in 1890. I have a 20 gauge Parker that started life as a 16 gauge with Twist Steel barrels that was mono-blocked and I shoot the snot out of it. Have fun.

Rick Losey
04-22-2012, 07:44 PM
isn't "D" the grade

but i do see the line suggesting a sleeving

Terry Phillips
04-22-2012, 08:07 PM
Thanks for your acessment. You certainly aren't raining on any parades. I'm delighted with this gun even if it was rebarreled. Infact, I prefer not to have damascus barrels. Since the rib states "Titanic Steel" is it reasonable to think that Parker may have done the work?

Rick Losey
04-22-2012, 09:48 PM
Terry

might i suggest getting the research letter for the gun. That would tell you if it was originally damascus, and might reference if it was returned to Parker for work.

Harry Collins
04-22-2012, 09:54 PM
I don't think Parker had Titanic barrels on DH's until about 1897. My 1894 hammered Parker was mono-blocked by LaFever and they changed "TWIST" to "STEEL". I don't think Parker did such things, but I've been wrong about many things Parker. The great thing about your Parker is that it came to you from family and that is more important to me about my family Parker's than all the warts they may have. You've a great old Parker you can try to wear out before you pass it along to the next generation. Good luck and great shooting.

Kindest, Harry

Dave Noreen
04-22-2012, 09:58 PM
Neither Parker Bros. nor Remington did that mono bloc sleeving work. Very likely the word Damascus was tig welded in and the rib remarked Titanic when the sleeving job was done.

The gun appears to have selective automatic ejectors that were not offered by Parker Bros. at the time that gun was originally made, so it very likely was back to Parker Bros. for those at some point in its life. Did it get the updated bolt and bolt plate at that time?

FWIW, it doesn't look new. When it was new the receiver, top-lever, forearm iron, and forearm latch lever were color case hardened, not buffed shiney like now.

Was/is that gun in Washington State? I saw one just like that at Chet Paulson's in Tacoma about 45 years ago.

Dean Romig
04-22-2012, 10:37 PM
That "D" on the barrel flats represents Damascus.... which is what the breech section of the barrels is, behind the sleeve seam.

Terry Phillips
04-22-2012, 10:48 PM
Thanks for all the detective work guys. Sounds like this gun has seen quite a few modifications. Your right, it does have automatic ejectors and they work properly. I can only account for its history for about 35 years or so, A great uncle had it and about 10 other Parkers in his collection, and we're on the east coast. I have this one and a 12 ga. ser 237xxx Trojan with 26" bbls. The other guns do have color case hardened or blued finishes of various percentages remaining. They are all Trojans and Vulcans in 28, 16, and 12ga. I can't say as to when this one got the bolt and plate.

Terry Phillips
04-22-2012, 10:55 PM
Dean

The breech section is definitly NOT damascus. When you expand the picture i posted it appears to have a damacus like look, but it is not that way when you see real thing. Sometimes digital pictures tell fibs.

Dean Romig
04-22-2012, 11:00 PM
Okay... sorry... :duck:

Terry Phillips
04-22-2012, 11:09 PM
Sorry Dean,
I didn't mean to sound brash. just an observation that had me doing a double take on the gun also, after looking at my own pictures on the post.

Dean Romig
04-22-2012, 11:12 PM
Not a problem...

There's so darn much to learn on these old guns.

Terry Phillips
04-22-2012, 11:36 PM
Well oops.

You were right Dean. I looked again under a very bright Halogen light. :bowdown: