PDA

View Full Version : Who knew H&R made a nice classic double?

Pete Lester
04-15-2012, 08:51 PM
I have to believe this is a rare gun. I need to rethink my opinion on H&R it would seem. (I have no connection or interest in the gun) I just think it is interesting as well as nice, too bad the dimensions are not good for me.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=281735550

Rick Losey
04-15-2012, 08:57 PM
certainly can see the British in it. very nice

3" chambers ???

Ed Blake
04-15-2012, 09:28 PM
There was an article in the DGJ a couple years ago about H&R being the first hammerless made in the US. It reminds me of a Westley.

Bob Brown
04-16-2012, 01:45 AM
I belive H&R licensed the U.S. rights to the Anson and Deeley patent from Westley Richards. The DGJ had a good article on it some years back. If I remember right they either built a factory or added a building to their existing location just to make the new A&D side by sides. Even had some WR staff come over to get them started right. I thought they were building the actions too, though they were identical to the ones WR made. Could be wrong on that last part though.

Bill Murphy
04-16-2012, 08:15 AM
Serious researchers insist that the whole gun, minus the raw tubes, was made in the US.

Brad Bachelder
04-16-2012, 12:43 PM
Bill
That is correct, in fact Anson himself showed the H&R workers how to build the entire Gun with the exception of the English Dam. tubes. At that time H&R used some of the top engravers for their handguns, thus the beautiful engraving.

Brad

Drew Hause
04-16-2012, 01:23 PM
One of the more frustrating internet sellers. Lots of (what appear to be) neat vintage doubles but with poor pics of his pool table :banghead:
I heard some time ago that the Olathe Gun Shop http://olathegunshop.com/ just off I-35 (not the seller but serves as his FFL) was going to open another room just for display of these guns. Did it happen? Bruce?

Jack Kuzepski
04-16-2012, 03:36 PM
I remember reading that there were about 2000 of them made (approximately 500 per year for 4 years). One of the guys in Delaware Antique Arms Collectors had one (I think a grade 2) for sale about 2-3 years ago, it was in really nice condition; wished I had picked that one up.

Jack Kuzepski

Bill Murphy
04-18-2012, 08:41 AM
Well, for maybe the first time ever, Mikeej99 took a decent picture, sold a good gun at a reasonable starting price, with no reserve, all in the same week. Congratulations to a customer who will get a great gun. And Jent, stop shouting at us. Oddly, many moons ago, I had an email discussion with Mikee about his terrible pictures, and he was very defensive. I asked for suitable pictures of a high end gun I was interested in purchasing and got no help at all.