PDA

View Full Version : DOGWOODS

william faulk
04-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Dogwoods are in bloom and the Crappie are biteing..what more can an old man ask for these days ?

william faulk
04-13-2012, 01:52 PM
Supper for tonight..wish you were here.....

Mills Morrison
04-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Nice photos

charlie cleveland
04-13-2012, 10:45 PM
them crappies are the best eating fish around in my book..and when there biting you can have some fun.... charlie

william faulk
04-14-2012, 01:46 AM
them crappies are the best eating fish around in my book..and when there biting you can have some fun.... charlie

Yea Charlie..I knew you would know about these fish..
They sure were good,fried up with taters and onions....Bill:)

charlie cleveland
04-14-2012, 08:14 AM
bill you just about made me bite my tongue reading about crappie fried taters and onions...if there was ever a better tasting fish GOD kept it for hisself.... do you use live or artifical bait for the crappie.... i like minnows the best myself but hey a jig in the takle box dont hurt either...i should be uot on the water rite now but im going to a old car show this morning...ive got a lot of bad habits and looking at rusty iron is one of them... charlie

Russ Jackson
04-14-2012, 08:36 AM
Bill ,Looks like all you needed were a few Morels ! Nice pictures ! Charlie is right on ,those Crappie sure are some fun catching and Great eating ! Russ

william faulk
04-14-2012, 12:29 PM
bill you just about made me bite my tongue reading about crappie fried taters and onions...if there was ever a better tasting fish GOD kept it for hisself.... do you use live or artifical bait for the crappie.... i like minnows the best myself but hey a jig in the takle box dont hurt either...i should be uot on the water rite now but im going to a old car show this morning...ive got a lot of bad habits and looking at rusty iron is one of them... charlie

Charlie,
These fish were caught using live minners fished under lanterns at night.
Fished up at Canyon Lake near Austin where the creek runs into the lake.
Can only fish at night these days because of all the skidos.speed boats that have taken over.These folks do not have any respect for fisherman or even each other.
Bill :cuss:

william faulk
04-14-2012, 01:19 PM
Bill ,Looks like all you needed were a few Morels ! Nice pictures ! Charlie is right on ,those Crappie sure are some fun catching and Great eating ! Russ

Yea Russ,
Took 4 hoyrs to catch these..a few years ago you could catch 50 or more in this time..guess that is progress......:banghead:

Richard Flanders
04-14-2012, 02:20 PM
those are nice eating size too. I saw crappies caught in the Missouri River a couple of years ago that must have weighed at least 3#. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Tyrannocrappie for sure.

william faulk
04-14-2012, 02:41 PM
those are nice eating size too. I saw crappies caught in the Missouri River a couple of years ago that must have weighed at least 3#. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Tyrannocrappie for sure.

Never caught one but this is what a 3 pound crappie looks like..caught on a white lead head jig.

Tony Guccioni
04-14-2012, 02:42 PM
Bill, Although your photo suggests otherwise, I'm guessing that Dogwoods in TX. would be the evergreen species ?? Are they indigenous ??

william faulk
04-14-2012, 03:09 PM
Bill, Although your photo suggests otherwise, I'm guessing that Dogwoods in TX. would be the evergreen species ?? Are they indigenous ??

Tony..don't know the answer to that ouestion..bloom once a year.
Old timers say when the Dogwoods bloom,go Crappie fishing.Something to this..Bill :smiley7:

charlie cleveland
04-14-2012, 06:06 PM
richard your rite on about the weight of those crappies...in my part of the woods we call them slab crappies...nothing unusal in the spring to catch a limit of these 2 to 3 lbs crappies...im not sure of the record crappie in ,y region but i know it around 5 lb. charlie

Jack Cronkhite
04-16-2012, 03:11 PM
Inspired me to adjust my signature line. "Onions and taters" go well with all the wild creatures we have been given to eat on this planet. (Goes just fine with domesticated meat as well, but given a choice....... well I'm sure we know the answer to that).

charlie cleveland
04-16-2012, 06:04 PM
jack i like your phrase on teaching a man to fish....nice picture of that crappie... charlie