PDA

View Full Version : lead shot

charlie cleveland
03-25-2012, 04:54 PM
any body know of some people who are selling lead shot at a fair price....i use to buy a lot off gunbroker but supply about dried up....been thinking about trying to make some myself.... charlie

Paul Harm
03-26-2012, 03:12 PM
What's a fair price ? Paul

John Dallas
03-26-2012, 04:42 PM
Price of lead on the world market is about 25% less than a year ago. Can't tell you how that translates into price of a bag in the store, however:

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead_historical_large.html

John Farrell
03-26-2012, 06:24 PM
The current price around here is $36-$38 a bag. Reclaimed shot here in MN is about $28 a bag.

Charlie, if you are thinking about making shot recover my recent PM to you and look at the photos again. While you do not have to duplicate the system I have, you need a setup that will do all of the steps I outlined. It is very difficult to make hunting size shot with the setup I have. You can go on YouTube and see several videos of shotmaking setups people have put together. Some are really simple, others more complicated. Some show the hunting size shot being made.

After having a BBQ ribs dinner last evening with a friend he GAVE ME 5 bags of shot. Two of the shot bags are so old I never heard of the maker. Earlier in the day another friend GAVE ME 3 pigs of linotype lead from his hoard. Sunday was a good day for making shot. JF

charlie cleveland
03-26-2012, 09:08 PM
paul i would consider 30 to 35 dollars for a 25 lb. bag as a fair price.....thanks for the info about you tube i will look more into shot making.... charlie

John Dallas
03-27-2012, 11:28 AM
Making good, round shot is a fussy operation. Remington used to claim that their shot-making process was the highest volume precision production operation in the world. The newly-made shot was poured off slightly inclined plates, with out-of-round pellets going off the edge, and only the round ones going ahead to the next plate

charlie cleveland
03-27-2012, 03:28 PM
i mostly shoot pop cans and card board targets so the shot wont really have to be to round....has any one else seen the new winchester shells...the lead shot or maybe steel looks like its triangle shape....their claiming the shot does not have to be round...they say their shot lays sloser together than round shot and will put more pay load in the case... and will pattern better than round shot plus the shot will leave a bigger hole were the shot goes in thus killing cleaner and quicker...ive not tried the shells just read about them...any one else saw them.... charlie

charlie cleveland
03-27-2012, 05:52 PM
do yall think this will work....take and heat and melt lead in a cast pot...pour lead thru and old flour sifter it has thick screen...letthe thensmall size shot fall into a tub of anti freeze verus water....im thinlink this will be a cheap way to make small zize shot...will try this in a few days..what do yall think..... charlie

Jack Kuzepski
03-28-2012, 04:51 PM
Charlie,

I don't think that will quite work the way you expect it to. Try saving up a few coins for a Littleton shotmaker. I have 2 friends that have one. I think they put out about 20 lbs of shot per hour. aThe shot is not perfectly round but for skeet shooting and a bit of bird hunting it works out pretty well.

Jack Kuzepski