PDA

View Full Version : 3 barrel Ithaca

Thomas L. Benson Sr.
03-19-2012, 10:40 PM
I tell you this guy seen me coming a mile away. I have no clue what the heck this is but boy I had to bring it home. New Ithaca 12 ga. 30 inch barrels ser. 13395 A with London Twist barrels. Supposedly the guy lost his right eye in a bar fight over a pretty senorita when the guy had a sword and he had a knife and I believed this horse crap story. Damn I'm so gullable.Well being right handed he got this gun so he could hunt. O.K. Mr. Murphy and Dean you usually have something to say so I,m ready for you. Thomas:

Dean Romig
03-19-2012, 11:02 PM
There's more than one way to skin a cat I guess. Instead of fashioning an offset stock for a right-handed shooter without the use of his right eye somebody came up with this ingenious "third barrel" for left eye alignment. I wonder if those shellheads are removable providing a "sighting tube"?

By the way, I think you did very well to have snagged that one. It's almost what some would consider "folk art" and is one of the most innovative shotgun modifications I have ever seen.

"Necessity is the Mother of Invention" once again proves true.

Bill Murphy
03-20-2012, 09:01 AM
What a great place to store ten ounces of single malt.

Thomas L. Benson Sr.
03-20-2012, 09:36 AM
Bill::rotf: You might shoot to low and to the left if that was the case. Thomas:

Thomas L. Benson Sr.
03-20-2012, 09:40 AM
Dean: The umc shell cap is not removeable but if you notice it does have a sight at the end of that tube. Thomas

Dennis V. Nix
03-20-2012, 10:20 AM
With tongue firmly in cheek I wonder if it could be the forerunner of a magazine tube for double shotguns. The inventor simply had a great idea and took it to his final conclusion. Hmmmmm?

With the sight on the front it definitely is an assist with sighting.

Dennis

Dean Romig
03-20-2012, 10:51 AM
The "smith" who invented/developed that aid to shooting (I won't call it a sight) had a good idea but didn't think it through. He could have eliminated a lot of unnecessary cumbersome weight by simply using a top rib or ramp with a front and rear bead.

Richard Flanders
03-20-2012, 01:07 PM
I think it's very cool! What a great conversation piece. Good snag Thomas.... assuming you didn't have to sell a car to buy it... Looks like it has an 'inventive' left hammer screw also....

When you're tired of being embarrassed by it just send it to me! What a "great outhouse gun" that would make, eh?.... and it's just about time again too... it's been a long cold winter. Still below zero most of the time.

Thomas L. Benson Sr.
03-20-2012, 01:59 PM
Richard:I think a guy could probably store some extra rolls of toilet paper on it.A friend of mine just came down from Anchorage and said worst snow season in years. I spent 38 yrs up in Alaska and now I got use to no shovling. Thomas

charlie cleveland
03-20-2012, 06:47 PM
that storey that fellow tolds you about his eye musta been true...thats the doggonest looking piece of artillery ive ever seen...if you send that gun to richard make sure and send him a eye patch with it and make sure to tell him to wear it over the right eye cause using that thing with both eyes open it the owl house might not be to good... thats a good find.... charlie

Thomas L. Benson Sr.
03-20-2012, 07:58 PM
Charlie: John Wayne could of used that in his movie but I can't remember which eye he had covered. I remember John had his left eye covered and Jeff Bridges had his right eye covered so I guess he could have used it. Thomas