PDA

View Full Version : Parker Repo Repairs

Charles Dawley
03-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Is any one aware of a good gunsmith in Minnesota with experience working with Parker Repos?

ron belanger
03-18-2012, 01:38 PM
What happened to your repro, if I may ask?

I don't have any gunsmiths info for you but I am curious anyway (as I also own a repro)

I assume you have scoured the interweb for any possibilities and were hoping to find a reference to a competent smith from someone here...looks like not too many from Minnesota are coming forward...good luck!

Jim Beilke
03-18-2012, 02:39 PM
Check with Pat Laib in Spicer, Mn. He is an excellent Smith,but will not touch Parker single triggers unless it just needs a good cleaning. Brad Bachelder in Michigan helped out a friend of mine. Jim

charlie cleveland
03-18-2012, 03:04 PM
i betcha jerry andrews would be good on that sigle trigger too... charlie

Bill Anderson
03-18-2012, 05:08 PM
Is any one aware of a good gunsmith in Minnesota with experience working with Parker Repos?

Trying to find someone within driving distance really limits your options. And with the price of gas it's better to ship to anyone that's good in the U.S. I have used the services of Dewey Vicknair in Lititz, PA with excellent results. He does it all from mechanical repairs, including single triggers, to full wood and metal restoration.
He can be reached at 717-626-4226.

Bill

Charles Dawley
03-18-2012, 10:34 PM
A couple months ago I bought a 28 ga Parker repro with double triggers from Roger Bain Firearms, Inc. The gun was described as never fired and new in its case with two sets of barrels, 26 and 28 inches with splinter and beaver forends. My error was not to take it out immediately and fire it, though buying from what appears to be a reputable dealer and a new gun I didnt think I would have any concerns. Friday, I brought it, a 16ga WC Scott, and a 803 20ga Arrettia up to the cabin with me to shoot clays after opening the cabin. Broke a 23 with the WC and a 20 with the Arrettia. Went to shoot a box with the Parker Repo and the first bird went flying into the woods untouched....so did the seco nd.....the triggers did not move. Thought I had left it on safe, but hadnt. It feels like both triggers are locked on safe, with no movement no matter how many times I take apart, put together or move the safety. I have left messages for Mr. Bain, as well as emails and hope to get a response soon. If he is reputable I would think he would do something to make it good. If not, I will need to take it to someone who knows what they are doing to make it right. I have used Kieth Kertchner out the NW part of the US for other things, I suspect he could do what ever is required.

Dean Romig
03-18-2012, 10:45 PM
Keith replaces Repro single triggers with doubles so I would think he could fix yours blindfolded.

Gerry Addison
03-19-2012, 08:42 AM
Check the barrel selector switch. Move it back and forth a few times and be sure it is all the way forward (for right barrel). Sometimes the switch is between barrels and locks up the gun preventing firing. Happened to me just yesterday.

Charles Dawley
03-19-2012, 08:56 AM
This is my first Parker Repo, so my knowledge of them is limited; but I see no sign of a barrel selector switch, nor does it move side ways as is the case with my Browning overunders

Greg Baehman
03-19-2012, 08:56 AM
Gerry---it's a DT gun.

Charles Dawley
03-19-2012, 09:19 AM
Yes, I thought a selector switch would be redundent. The safety switch moves on/off freely, but the triggers remain solid

Gerry Addison
03-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Sorry, I didn't read closely. My mistake. I'm sure the triggers just need to be taken out and cleaned. Grease has probably hardened and has locked up the triggers.

Charles Dawley
03-19-2012, 09:35 AM
I sure hope it is something that simple. Still waiting for a reply from the seller I bought it from off Guns International.

Chuck Heald
03-19-2012, 09:37 AM
Any good doublegun gunsmith should be able to address this issue. Double triggers are simple mechanisms of common design, that's why it's all the rage on double guns...reliablity. But, there are exceptions, I suppose.

Charles Dawley
03-19-2012, 10:17 AM
The gun was sold as never fired. Given when they were made hardened grease is a possibilty I guess

Charles Dawley
03-19-2012, 10:34 AM
Roger Bain,Inc came through and is having me ship the receiver and one set of barrels back to him and he will have his gunsmith fix it. Good dealer!

Chuck Heald
03-19-2012, 12:48 PM
Good luck to you on the repair. Sounds like the dealer is of good intent.

Jerry McCarty
03-19-2012, 03:32 PM
Charles,

I handled your 28 ga., 2 bbl set while Mr. Bain still had it and there was still a fair amount of hardened cosmoline on the barrels and we couldn't get the 28" bbls & BFTE on or something like that... not wanting to force anything, he put it back in the case. I still kick myself for not taking it home that day. You got an awesome Repro and I'm sure a good cleaning will take care of it and you'll never look back.

Regards,

Jerry

Charles Dawley
03-19-2012, 04:24 PM
Good to know. Currently, both barrels fit the receiver and eachforend fits it's designated barrel. The splinter won't close on the 28 barrel. I agree it is a great little gun. Hopefully a good cleaning will free up the triggers

Chuck Heald
03-19-2012, 04:34 PM
Charles,
As another data point, my 28ga repro was also unfired until a couple yrs ago when I bought it from Jaqua's. The forend was a real bear to squeeze (to the point of fear of breaking the wood) onto the barrels and then it was extremely difficult to open/close the gun. A couple swaths of a mill file across the backside of the forend lug on the barrels reduced the force needed to install the forend and allowed for easier openning/closing. Mention the problem and your desired feel of the openning and closing to the gunsmith and they should be able to make it to your desire in a few minutes of their time.

Bill Murphy
03-19-2012, 06:39 PM
Mr. Bain has been at the Baltimore gun show since about Friday. I have no idea whether he is in contact with a Parker Repro mechanic. However, when buying an unfired thirty year old gun, things get bound up in grease. I would go to a mechanic rather than to the salesman after all this time.

Daryl Corona
03-19-2012, 07:45 PM
I totally agree with the honorable Mr. Murphy. I've known Roger for a few decades and truly consider him a gentlemen and of the upmost in character. Good luck with your Parker, Charles. You picked the right guy to buy your gun from.

Charles Dawley
03-20-2012, 07:06 AM
Mr. Bain has his own Gunsmith that he uses and given the gun came in this condition, it would seem appropriate for him to resolve the problem. I certainly apprec:)iate his willingness to do so