PDA

View Full Version : lite loads are good

Paul Harm
03-13-2012, 09:27 AM
I go on a couple of web sites - one about reloading and have had some discussions in the past about lighter loads and why they work so well. This would also apply to the 10 or 8ga. Shorter shot column height means less deformation of the low layers of shot equals better patterns. Here's a thread backing that up. Paul
http://www.clayshootingusa.com/html/archive/jun_jul08/Dawn%20of%20a%20new%20era.pdf

scott kittredge
03-13-2012, 04:43 PM
I go on a couple of web sites - one about reloading and have had some discussions in the past about lighter loads and why they work so well. This would also apply to the 10 or 8ga. Shorter shot column height means less deformation of the low layers of shot equals better patterns. Here's a thread backing that up. Paul
http://www.clayshootingusa.com/html/archive/jun_jul08/Dawn%20of%20a%20new%20era.pdf

i found that i do get "tighter patterns" out of my 2 7/8th 10's with the 1 oz loads. scott

charlie cleveland
03-13-2012, 06:32 PM
afellow shooter back in the18 th century said athe best possible load for tight patterns was a 6 ga with 1 ounce shot....this gentleman knew what he was talking about.... i did not have a 6 ga but i tried the load in the 8 ga but was not thrilled with the performance...now in the 10 ga with good chokes the load had a very tight pattern....was a good squirl load in the 10 ga.... charlie

Chuck Bishop
03-13-2012, 08:35 PM
Charlie,

I know you like those big guns but I think it wasn't a 6ga with 1oz of shot, it was a 16ga with 1oz. Commonly called a "square load."

Pasted from another site:

The 16 gauge gets its number because its bore is the same diameter as a round ball weighing 1/16th of a pound: 1 ounce. A classic theory of shotshell efficiency suggests any shotgun patterns best with a shotload equal in weight to a bore-size lead ball. In shotgunning lore this is known as a "square" load.

Paul Harm
03-14-2012, 10:18 AM
Back in the day of live pigeon shooting any gauge could be used but only 1 1/4oz of shot. This was before chokes. Some went to the 6ga to get tighter patterns. I believe the 16ga would also see better patterns with 3/4, or even 5/8oz loads. Paul

charlie cleveland
03-14-2012, 09:49 PM
i may be sliping but im sure this was a 6 bore in fact it was a muzzle loader...wish i could remember were i saw and read this...ive read about the square loads seems to make sense... i had several squib loads using 1 ounce shot in the ole 8..but i could have not have had them crimped good enough... charlie

Ray Pond
03-14-2012, 09:53 PM
here Charlie take my hand and watch out for that ice. :)

Paul Harm
03-15-2012, 10:34 AM
ClayShootingUSA - yes it was a muzzleloader.

Pete Lester
03-15-2012, 12:15 PM
Charlie,

I know you like those big guns but I think it wasn't a 6ga with 1oz of shot, it was a 16ga with 1oz. Commonly called a "square load."

Pasted from another site:

The 16 gauge gets its number because its bore is the same diameter as a round ball weighing 1/16th of a pound: 1 ounce. A classic theory of shotshell efficiency suggests any shotgun patterns best with a shotload equal in weight to a bore-size lead ball. In shotgunning lore this is known as a "square" load.

A square load is one where the height of the shot column is equal to the width of the shot column. Somewhere on the internet I have seen a graph/chart of square loads by gauge. If I recall correctly a 12ga was closest with 1 1/16 ounce and 10 gauge with a little more than 1 1/4 ounce and the 16ga was 15/16 of an ounce. I'll try to find it.