PDA

View Full Version : gun show finds

charlie cleveland
03-11-2012, 05:14 PM
went to a small gun show in TUPELO MISS..yesterday this is what i seen of real interest.... 2 nice fox sterlingworths 16 ga 850.00 each lc smith 16 ga nice field grade 750.00 remington model 32 over and under nice as they come and it was a skeet and skeet gun 1800.00 in my opinon a good buy...... a parker 20 ga v grade a nice shooter but a little high i thought at 2300.00......seen several nice winchesters lever rifles....didnot see the one im lookin for a 45 90 or a 45 - 110 at a decent price....well one of my gun buddys gave me a rem. 8 ga industrial slug in black plastic hull...so i spent 6 bucks getting in looked at guns for 4 hrs came home with the free shell and som changein my pocket... all in all i had a good day... charlie

CraigThompson
03-11-2012, 07:34 PM
Cool !

Back right before Xmas I saw a nice reblued recased Parker VH 20 gauge go for $4500 . Now maybe the gun had sentimental value to that guy . But I am thiking a decent un F'd with 20 gauge VH outta easily be worth $2300 .

The price for the Remington 32 seems a tad high to me . I recently (well in the last 2 years) sold a pair of skeet guns for $800 a piece . Now of course both had been reblued and refinished .

Never owned a Winchester 1886 but I did own 4 of the original Marlin 1895 in 33 WCF , 38-56 , 40-65 and 40-82 . The 33 was made about 1912 and the other 3 were all made in 1896 or 1897 . Actually killed a deer each with my own home cast bullets using the 38-56 and 40-65 .

We had a really nice extra light takedown half octagon pistol gripped checkered Winchester 1886 of 1900 manufacture in the 45-70 cartridge come in the shop for repair a couple months back . I tried my best to buy that rifle but the owner wasn't overly enthused with the idea . Gun needed a little TLC even after my gunsmith buddy got it functioning again . But it was certainly a diamond in the rough worth messing with if I could've gotten it for less then $2500 !

ed good
03-11-2012, 08:31 PM
tupelo, ms...now that might be a fun place to go next winter...

ever been to ocean springs, ms. a delightful town on the gulf?

charlie cleveland
03-11-2012, 08:52 PM
nope never been to ocean springs.. yep it was a good gun show im gonna tryto go to one of the big gun shows some day..i never tire of looking at the old guns and a few of the new ones... charlie

Russ Jackson
03-11-2012, 10:03 PM
Hi Charlie ,sounds like a nice day out !I enjoy Gun shows myself ,My Buddy Henry and I go together usually ,he is well read in all types of old guns ,I am more a shotgun guy ,he's a great Gun Show companion ,and makes the shows much more interesting , he is very familiar with the internals as well as the externals of the guns and really enjoys explaining the workins of as many as possible ! The 16 Ga. Sterly sounds like a nice buy if it had a little condition to go along with it ! Thanks for posting prices in the Miss. area Charlie ,always interesting to know how the economy is affecting our gun values in different areas of this Great Country ! Best ; Russ

Bill Murphy
03-12-2012, 07:45 AM
Charlie, the Southern Side by Side would be your best bet for a "big gun show". You paid six bucks to look at a few guns for four hours. At the Southern, you can look at hundreds of really good guns for four days, for free. No admission, and no cooler check at the gate. You will love it. You might even find a nice eight gauge. There have been great eight gauges sold at the Southern.

charlie cleveland
03-12-2012, 08:37 AM
sounds like the southern is the place i need to go....and a nice hammerless 8 ga find would make it a dream....yes is it not just wonderful that you can go and see guns and buy and trade...i doubt if theres another place on this old earth that we have these privilges....i sometimes forget to give thanks for what a great country we have the good ole USA .... charlie

ron belanger
03-15-2012, 02:32 PM
went to a small gun show in TUPELO MISS..yesterday this is what i seen of real interest.... 2 nice fox sterlingworths 16 ga 850.00 each lc smith 16 ga nice field grade 750.00 remington model 32 over and under nice as they come and it was a skeet and skeet gun 1800.00 in my opinon a good buy...... a parker 20 ga v grade a nice shooter but a little high i thought at 2300.00......seen several nice winchesters lever rifles....didnot see the one im lookin for a 45 90 or a 45 - 110 at a decent price....well one of my gun buddys gave me a rem. 8 ga industrial slug in black plastic hull...so i spent 6 bucks getting in looked at guns for 4 hrs came home with the free shell and som changein my pocket... all in all i had a good day... charlie

My brother has one in 45/90...not sure if he'd ever sell though...I can ask if you're interested. He shot his biggest buck in Maine some years ago with that rifle...has lots of sentimental value I would guess...What is a "good price for an 1886?

charlie cleveland
03-15-2012, 05:49 PM
sent you a pm walt.... charlie

ron belanger
03-15-2012, 09:40 PM
sent you a pm walt.... charlie

Got it, thanks!

ron belanger
03-16-2012, 10:51 AM
PM'd you Charlie!

Destry L. Hoffard
03-16-2012, 12:36 PM
My best gun show find of the winter season was a fruit jar if you can believe it. I paid $10 and sold it for $800, can't beat that kind of profit.

DLH

Robert Rambler
03-16-2012, 12:45 PM
WOW! What kind of rare amber fluid was in that jar? Or was it clear and looked just like water?:rotf::corn:

charlie cleveland
03-16-2012, 07:35 PM
now thats a old jar story worth hearing... give us the facts destrey... charlie

Destry L. Hoffard
03-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Was sitting on a guys table with a bunch of springs and parts stuck in it. Looked like a good one to me so I asked if I could empty out the parts and look over the jar. I think the guy was kinda surprised but when I said "yadda ya want for it" he said $10 bucks. I just paid him, though he'd have probably taken $5.

Destry

George Lander
03-17-2012, 11:16 PM
I went to Mike Kent's "Land of the Sky" gun show today in Columbia intending just to look and chat with some old friends. Among the many tables loaded with black guns, militaria and ammo I found a older gent with some interesting early stuff. The thing that caught my eye was an oak shotgun case with a Belgian double in it. He was asking $200 for the case but I offered him $150 and he took it. I'm pretty sure that it is an original Parker case for a hammer underlifter. If someone will post the pictures for me I'll e-mail them to him. It is in pretty good condition.

Best Regards, George

Angel Cruz
03-18-2012, 12:50 PM
George
What size bbls does it take? I would like one for my 16ga Lifter with 26 inch bbls. You can also email me the pictures and I'll try to post them for you.

Angel
acruzortiz@tampabay.rr.com

charlie cleveland
03-18-2012, 02:12 PM
sounds like a trade might be going on here.... ps sounds like a great find on the case and the old fruit jar for destrey.... charlie

Steve McCarty
03-22-2012, 12:45 PM
tupelo, ms...now that might be a fun place to go next winter...

ever been to ocean springs, ms. a delightful town on the gulf?

If you go to Tupelo keep your eyes peeled and you may run into Elvis. He was/is a fan of guns you know.

At a gun show a few years ago I bought a very nearly mint 95 Savage for $350. The sellor said that a friend of his owned the rifle and gave it to him to sell and that was what he'd take. The rifle will drive the "X" out of the bull at 100 yds with iron sights. Since the 303 shoots like a 30/30 that's all I need.

Eric Eis
03-22-2012, 12:57 PM
Steve sounds like a nice find...last fall in Louisville as we were setting up on Friday night I went over to Mid South's table and was talking to Phil and under one of his gun racks sat a black case with nickel corners and I asked what was in it and there was a mint Savage 99 300 Sav. with the 410 barrel in the Savage case. Man Phil would not deal on that gun, finally got him to come down 50 bucks and figured I better grab it cause it would not have lasted an hour on Sat....

Steve McCarty
03-22-2012, 01:53 PM
Steve sounds like a nice find...last fall in Louisville as we were setting up on Friday night I went over to Mid South's table and was talking to Phil and under one of his gun racks sat a black case with nickel corners and I asked what was in it and there was a mint Savage 99 300 Sav. with the 410 barrel in the Savage case. Man Phil would not deal on that gun, finally got him to come down 50 bucks and figured I better grab it cause it would not have lasted an hour on Sat....

My dear gun nut friend, now departed; bought a Savage 99 in 22 High power with the .410 barrel from a widow for $125. I told him he should be ashamed of himself. He thought that the .410 barrel must have had a forearm so he offered less that it was worth. Anyway, the lady took it. The rifle was in wonderful shape. Very nearly new as I recall. After he passed his widow took it to a gun shop where she got screwed too. I guess what goes around comes around.

Have you shot that .410 barrel? Of course, they never did have a forearm.

Bill Murphy
03-22-2012, 04:33 PM
Where is the picture of George Lander's Parker gun case? Email it to someone and get it posted.

Eric Eis
03-22-2012, 05:43 PM
My dear gun nut friend, now departed; bought a Savage 99 in 22 High power with the .410 barrel from a widow for $125. I told him he should be ashamed of himself. He thought that the .410 barrel must have had a forearm so he offered less that it was worth. Anyway, the lady took it. The rifle was in wonderful shape. Very nearly new as I recall. After he passed his widow took it to a gun shop where she got screwed too. I guess what goes around comes around.

Have you shot that .410 barrel? Of course, they never did have a forearm.

No I haven't shot it you us the forend from the rifle barrel and the screw down the bolt on the barrel to connect with the the forend. Luckly my 410 barrel was not used much so the tip of the forend is in good shape. I use to collect Savage 99's before Parkers alway liked them so when I saw this one I grabbed it.

Steve McCarty
03-22-2012, 05:57 PM
OD; concerning 99's. I only have one and then the 95. My 99 is in 308. I checked a 99 site and while they offered a slew of 99's for sale, I did not see a single one in 308. Are they rare?

I know that towards the end, Savage made them in .243, 308 and I think 358. One in 358 would be quite something.

Steve McCarty
03-22-2012, 05:58 PM
No I haven't shot it you us the forend from the rifle barrel and the screw down the bolt on the barrel to connect with the the forend. Luckly my 410 barrel was not used much so the tip of the forend is in good shape. I use to collect Savage 99's before Parkers alway liked them so when I saw this one I grabbed it.

I saw an antique photo of a gent shooting his 99 with the .410 tube attached. He was not using the forearm.

Eric Eis
03-22-2012, 08:24 PM
I saw an antique photo of a gent shooting his 99 with the .410 tube attached. He was not using the forearm.

They were designed to be used with the forend, that is why there is a large bolt on the barrel that was meant to screw down on the rifle forend. There were some 410 barrels made by others and that might be the barrel you saw in the photo. The 308 was fairly common in the late 50's to the 70's.

Angel Cruz
03-25-2012, 08:04 AM
Here are the pictures...

Bill Murphy
03-25-2012, 08:46 AM
Thanks George and Angel. Looks like a Parker case to me. Send it on up here, George, and I'll find a gun to fit it. It looks like it may have been modified to take a pistol grip gun. How long is the barrel channel? What is the largest gauge it will take?

Dean Romig
03-25-2012, 09:05 AM
Yup, modified to take something other than the straight grip Parker it was made for - maybe not even a Parker as the cutout for the stocked action has been lengthened too... those two large round cutouts were for primer tins. Looks like the barrel channel may have been widened too.

George Lander
03-25-2012, 07:27 PM
Thanks George and Angel. Looks like a Parker case to me. Send it on up here, George, and I'll find a gun to fit it. It looks like it may have been modified to take a pistol grip gun. How long is the barrel channel? What is the largest gauge it will take?

Hello Bill & Dean: The barrel channel measures just over 30 inches. It came with one 10 gauge brass shell and my Parker 10 gauge hammergun w/ 30 inch barrels fits nicely with it's pistol grip (I'll try to get some pictures of that).

Best Regards, George:bigbye: