PDA

View Full Version : Damascus barrels and turkeys

Mills Morrison
03-10-2012, 08:12 PM
Going to take one of my Damascus Parkers out turkey hunting this season. Does anyone have any recommendations for shells?

Fred Preston
03-10-2012, 10:32 PM
About five years ago I got this one with my 1878 plain twist 10ga at 30-35 yards using 1&1/2oz #6 with an equal measure of ffg in an RMC case. The smoke took a second or so to clear in the damp early morning air and I saw the bird floppihg around and was about to give him the left barrel when he laid down. The chokes are pretty tight on that old gun and he took a couple of hits in the head area and a few more elsewhere.

Bill Anderson
03-11-2012, 09:30 AM
My best choked damascus gun with 6" of choke is good to 40 yards with RST 1 oz loads of #6.

Bill

charlie cleveland
03-11-2012, 04:58 PM
very nice turkey...ive always wanted to get a turkey with black powder but have not tryed it yet... i use smokless loads in all of my damascus guns and have never had any problems....are you shootin a 12 if you are a 1 1/4 ounce of what ever shot you like would be good...with a ten up to 1 1/2 ounces as mentioned....these old damascus gun will do there part if we do our part.... charlie

Mills Morrison
03-12-2012, 12:05 AM
:shock: Where do you get black powder loads? I have been using RST shells in my Damascus Parkers, but would love to try black powder

Fred Preston
03-12-2012, 04:54 AM
Mills, A supplier of black powder shells was mentioned in a thread in the past week or so, but I have forgotten where. I hand load mine in RMC cases. I also use 20ga Guage Mates in the gun and 20ga double As for targets.

charlie cleveland
03-12-2012, 08:43 AM
look under the discusions threads at the 8 ga shell thread info for black powdershells for sell given there...good luck with the turkeys.... charlie

Mills Morrison
03-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Bought a PH 12 gauge with turkeys in mind. Now have a 10 gauge DH on the way which may also get a turn at the turkeys.

charlie cleveland
03-12-2012, 03:49 PM
mill s that 10 ga will be the perfect turkey gun...12 ga are good but a 10 ga is better...let us see that new 10 ga when you get it...remember to pattern your gun before you take it to the woods and try differant shot size some guns shoot better with certain size shot.... charlie

Mills Morrison
03-12-2012, 03:55 PM
I will send pictures when it comes. The advantages of the 12 are that the barrels were recently rebrowned, so will be somewhat camouflage.

David Holes
03-12-2012, 08:19 PM
When that turkey is looking down the bore of that big 10, he won't know if its brown or black. He'll just think, Oh S@#T, how do I get out of this one? Dave

Mills Morrison
03-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Good point :cheers:

Dean Romig
03-12-2012, 09:58 PM
I have a GH 16 ga. on a 0-frame with Full(est) X Full(est) chokes that I plan to use for turkey this season. It has 26" Damascus barrels and is the heaviest 0-frame sixteen I have ever hefted but it is still about 1.5 lbs lighter than my DH 12 30" so it will be easier to carry. I have some old paper #6 X-Press loads I might use despite the fact that the box says "Do not use in Twist or Damascus barreled guns."

Jack Cronkhite
03-15-2012, 05:57 PM
Dear Mr. and Mrs. Romig,

I put pen to paper today in my earnest desire to help young Dean achieve his true potential. You most certainly know that his grades have been slipping. I would like to suggest that you consider a visit to your family doctor, with a view to having his vision and hearing tested. In the past few reading assignments, it is clear that he does not follow simple written instructions. For example, all students, with the exception of your son, read and followed the instruction to not use black ink in the new fine nibbed school stick pens. Young Dean merrily wrote away in black ink, only to cause the nib of his pen to clog, making his text illegible. That will explain the F given for this assignment. Only yesterday, I spoke to the class about the importance of listening to instructions. They were simple enough and the entire class understood them and followed them to the letter; that is, with the exception of your son. The class was told not to take any library books outside to read during recess, as we were expecting rain. Who should I find outside with a soggy book but your young Dean. While I commend his choice of literature, I fear that someday he may endanger himself or others through a growing inability to comprehend simple instructions. Principal F. Ullavit remarked, "Now there's a boy who one day will load smokeless into Damascus". I do not pretend to understand what that meant but his concerned expression did seem ominous. Please consider my suggestion for vision and hearing tests.

Yours truly,
Miss Pinster
Fourth grade marm.

Dean Romig
03-15-2012, 06:56 PM
:shock:

Jack, you're killin' me!!

That sounds like it came right from Romig Jr. High in Anchorage, AK around 1960 :rotf:

Mills Morrison
03-15-2012, 07:35 PM
Good luck on turkey season everyone. :usa:

Steve McCarty
03-24-2012, 11:52 AM
:shock: Where do you get black powder loads? I have been using RST shells in my Damascus Parkers, but would love to try black powder

I was just perusing the Winchester shotshell site and they list BP shells for sale. They are a buck a piece. I've never seen any for sale however.

Mills Morrison
04-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Richmond Hill Wildlife Management Area south of Savannah, Georgia. Hope to add photos of shot turkeys as the season goes on. Trying to get my son interested in turkey hunting (and Parkers) which was successful, but actually getting turkeys had to take a back seat to that mission. :draw::draw:

charlie cleveland
04-14-2012, 06:41 PM
any body killed a turkey yet...not i.... charlie

Mills Morrison
04-14-2012, 07:16 PM
Not yet. Have seen some though.

Dean Romig
04-19-2012, 09:46 PM
:corn:Decided to use one of my GH 16 ga. 0-frame Damascus guns for turkey hunting this year. It has 2 1/2" chambers with the rim cut into the chamber for brass shells rather than tapered forcing cones. Chokes are X-full x X-full and the barrels are 26". It is the heaviest 0-frame sixteen I have held.

See thread "Loads for Turkeys" for the shells I found for it

charlie cleveland
04-24-2012, 10:34 PM
dean wheres the turkey pictures and storey...i dont have one to tell yet... charlie

Dean Romig
04-24-2012, 11:00 PM
Vermont turkey season opens on May 1st. I'm heading up on Friday afternoon the 4th to hunt Saturday and Sunday. If I get there early enough on Friday I may be able to find a local flock with a big ol' longbeard and get an idea of where they will roost. I know it's seldom that easy but once in a while the Red Gods smile on me.

I'll likely be hunting alone this year for the first time in a long time. It doesn't much matter to me - I used to go for deer season alone for a week or two up there in my youth. Went up and came back by train one year from North Station in Boston with rifle, sleeping bag and a big duffel bag with clothes and gear. Rode all the way home next to a beautiful redhead about three years my senior. Had a great time with her.

Mills Morrison
04-25-2012, 08:14 AM
I prefer hunting turkeys alone. It seems if you go with someone either you are in their way or they are in yours. This past weekend that was literally true when I had Dad in between me and two gobblers (with my Parker NH, hence Doubles Club).

Dean Romig
04-25-2012, 12:20 PM
We sometimes have as many as five or six hunters in camp but each goes his separate (pre-discussed) way before daybreak. I will also telephone the farmer 1/2 mile down the road the night before so that I know where he and his people will be set up on any given morning... a lot safer this way and without any friction between camps.

Bob Dombeck
05-01-2012, 08:32 PM
Hope this is o.k. to post. Here's a couple of pics of my turkey shot on opening morning of my MN season, Apr.23, at 6:18 am. 21 1/2 lbs., 10" beard and 1 1/8" spurs.
While I didn't take him with my Parker as I would of liked, ( it is inoperable at the time), it was still a nice hunt. I'm in the process of buying my first damascus barrelled Parker so hopefully next year I will take one using that or my VH.
Thanks.
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii1/Parker-VH/IMG_0501.jpg
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii1/Parker-VH/IMG_0494.jpg

Rick Losey
05-01-2012, 09:10 PM
:corn:Decided to use one of my GH 16 ga. 0-frame Damascus guns for turkey hunting this year. It has 2 1/2" chambers with the rim cut into the chamber for brass shells rather than tapered forcing cones. Chokes are X-full x X-full and the barrels are 26". It is the heaviest 0-frame sixteen I have held.

See thread "Loads for Turkeys" for the shells I found for it

a friend looked at a heavy VH 26" full and full 16 locally a couple weeks ago - I thought that was a very odd combination

but heck I'm a grouse and woodcock hunter - what do I know :bigbye:

Dean Romig
05-01-2012, 09:23 PM
You bet it's OK to post here Bob. That is one really good looking bird! I like that pose hanging from the fencepost with all the green shades of spring. Thanks for sharing it with us.

charlie cleveland
05-01-2012, 09:39 PM
fine looking bird.. as dean said very nice picture and background... charlie

scott kittredge
05-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Hope this is o.k. to post. Here's a couple of pics of my turkey shot on opening morning of my MN season, Apr.23, at 6:18 am. 21 1/2 lbs., 10" beard and 1 1/8" spurs.
While I didn't take him with my Parker as I would of liked, ( it is inoperable at the time), it was still a nice hunt. I'm in the process of buying my first damascus barrelled Parker so hopefully next year I will take one using that or my VH.
Thanks.
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii1/Parker-VH/IMG_0501.jpg
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii1/Parker-VH/IMG_0494.jpg

that pic on the fence post. that would make a nice mount just like that!! :) nice bird, i will be heading out in the morning before work. scott

charlie cleveland
05-02-2012, 10:10 PM
go getem scott...lots of luck... charlie

scott kittredge
05-10-2012, 08:06 PM
here is my "Damascus barreled" turkey, shot with my 1875 lifter 10 ga, 24 1/2 lbs 9 1/2 inch beard and 7/8th spurs

Mills Morrison
05-10-2012, 08:49 PM
Great photo, great gun, great bird! :cheers:

I saw more turkeys this season than any season prior, but did not get a shot at any of them. Had a chance at a double too . . . . with my Parker NH 10, but my Dad was in the line of fire and I didn't want a triple.

Dean Romig
05-10-2012, 08:53 PM
What a memory to cherish well into your old age Scott. It just can't get any better than that!!

charlie cleveland
05-10-2012, 09:56 PM
boy thats a nice turkey fore sure...i would guess he s a 2 year old bird...and was shot by my favorite ga a 10...nice bird and a great gun....now go get us another one.... charlie