PDA

View Full Version : The Old and the New

Dave Fuller
02-29-2012, 01:50 PM
Like many who visit here, I have an affinity for the old. The craftsmanship, the primitive tools used to deploy it, and the patina from days afield make antique gear special. That said, there is some really good stuff being made today... much of it destined to be heirloom, collectable gear. Some examples of both...

1) 1911 DH 12ga and a 12ga repro (already an heirloom in my judgement).
2) Leonard Salmon reel (1930's?) and a Saracione Salmon Reel made in 2011 by Joe S. himself. (Both these are monster reels, not sure the photo does justice to their size)
3) Decoy from Massachusetts (not sure its really old) and a bull pintial carving from a guy in Montana made last year.
4) A knife my granddad bought in Alaska in the 40s and a Knives of Alaska knife made in the late 90s
5) FE Thomas 6wt bamboo rod from the 30s and a bamboo rod I made last year with a reel seat made from a Parker GH stock.

I hope these appear in the right order, references should be obvious if not.

charlie cleveland
02-29-2012, 03:52 PM
love the old ...thats some nice things youve showed us...espically the knives and ducks... charlie

Dennis V. Nix
02-29-2012, 05:52 PM
I too go for the old standbys in life. Beautiful items and great photography. Quality will always stand out from the mediocre and will last forever if taken care of. Thanks for letting us see some long lasting useable items. Dennis

Chuck Heald
03-02-2012, 10:39 AM
Nice. I like your perspective. Appreciation of both old and new based on quality.

Robert Rambler
03-03-2012, 08:14 AM
That Parker reel seat is way past "COOL", I can hardly stand it!:cool::bowdown::cool:

Jack Cronkhite
03-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Agree. Watched the thread some time ago when the project was ongoing. Once an original stock is simply "beyond it", what a great way to breathe just a bit of new life into a piece of history.

Brian Dudley
03-13-2012, 01:40 PM
I like the shield inlayed into the new bamboo rod. Just like our Parker Guns have.