PDA

View Full Version : Reference on Gun Smith

Art Bensheimer
02-27-2012, 06:18 PM
I just bought 2 DHE guns this weekend @ Louisville meet. I'm looking for someone to restore them for me. I see Kim Aylworth's add in
dgj and just wondered if anyone had seen his work etc.?

John Campbell
02-28-2012, 09:15 AM
Art:
I'm not sure "what" you want restored... Kim is basically an engraver and barrel browner.

If your guns truly need restored -- which may lessen their value if they're not really beaters -- then Del Grego is THE man for Parker resto.

Consider restoration carefully. At least 80% of "restored" guns should have been left as-is in my opinion. Or at least just lightly cleaned up.

Best, Kensal

George M. Purtill
02-28-2012, 10:24 AM
best to do nothing in my opinion.
i have a sweet 20 VH that Granpa Delgrego "restored' for me and i wish i had never let it happen.

Art Bensheimer
02-28-2012, 11:03 AM
I guess I need to post some pics. and get some input on if I should do anything to these guns.

Art Bensheimer
02-28-2012, 02:59 PM
Here are some pics. of the 2 guns. Not good pics. though, the damascus looks better inpics. than in person.

John Campbell
02-28-2012, 04:02 PM
Art:
By all means please don't "restore" these guns !! They are wonderful as they are. About the most you might do is remove to "trap" style stock extension from the one, have the wood freshened a bit, chequering cleaned up, and maybe add a repro Silver's pad to finish the butt of that gun. And please have a pro do it... not the local Gander Mountain "gunsmith."

The other gun is so beautiful as it is, that any resto work would be like painting a goatee on the Mona Lisa.

BTW... I saw the trap butt gun in Louisville myself. Thankfully, before lunch.

Best, Kensal

Art Bensheimer
02-28-2012, 04:22 PM
You don't think I should have the dents taken out of the barrels and have them redone. They really don't look very good in person. I agree that the recievers look just fine. The 12ga could use some screws replaced too. The wood should clean up pretty well too. So just take the extension off the 12 ga butt and put on a spacer and good thick pad on it?

John Campbell
02-28-2012, 04:50 PM
Art:
Certainly have the dents removed. I assume bores are good otherwise. Re-brown? I'd say only f they're more than 75% silvered out. What you don't want is "new looking" barrels against a patina of age on the frame and wood. Your choice, of course. The slightly turned screws on the one bottom plate can be dealt with without replacement. All the others look fine. Again, their condition is part of the gun's history. Try to resist the American need for "factory new." It's a false god.

The beat up stock can be refinished and chequering recut to look great. If it's too short with just a pad, I'd send it to Mark Larson (Google MarkLarsonGunArt) for a small wood extension and finish/pad. You will never see the extension he applies. You could even have a repro Dog's Head plate put back on if you wanted. Spacers are OK if there is no other choice. In your case, you'll have the option, so why add a thick black spacer?

You've got some fine guns there. Do them honour.

Best, Kensal

PS: PM me if you have tech questions.

Art Bensheimer
02-28-2012, 05:08 PM
You might have saved me a lot of money. Dale Edmonds ok for barrell redo or you have a suggestion for that. Who's good for the wood clean-up and cleaning of the rest of the gun. What prices should I be paying to have this work done? Art

Bruce Day
02-28-2012, 06:09 PM
When you bought these guns at the Louisville show, did you talk to long time PGCA members and knowledgeable collectors Charlie Herzog, Josh Lowensteiner, Jeff Kuss and John Dunkle , who were there, and ask them? Sometimes its beneficial to meet the person giving advise , IMHO.

I am sure Dale Edmunds would do a good job on re-browning the barrels and de-denting....see the attached photo of a G that Dale did. I'm sure a few others would do a fine job also.

The stocks on your guns I believe are in need of some TLC. Light refinishing and de-denting would be in order, IMHO. You might be able to do that yourself if you have patience and a light hand. You could chase the checkering with a double cutter and make a little deeper where it is worn down. On the butt extension gun, find somebody who could put in a butt piece that is at least close to the stock in wood grain, get it finished correctly and grain across the joint with a fine brush.

May I urge you to meet with some PGCA members at the annual meeting or the Southern s xs and discuss the issues and the potential costs before you start down the road of expenses, especially since you just bought these guns and have no attachment to them.

John Campbell
02-28-2012, 06:51 PM
Art:
With all due respect to Mr. Day, it is not a good idea to mess with the stocks of these guns if you have limited experience in stock work. Especially chequering. There is nothing wrong with being an amateur, but not with a Parker DH.

If you'd feel more comfortable getting consultation from PGCA members, by all means do so.

And yes... Dale Edmonds is very good for barrels. I've used him myself. So is Kim Aylworth whom I've also used.

Perhaps the officials of PGCA have a favourite stock worker. But they are not omnipotent in this regard. It is you who must feel a sense of comfort. These are your guns now. At least for a few years.

Best, Kensal

Art Bensheimer
02-29-2012, 08:16 AM
I spoke with Mark Larson on the stock last night. I think I will have him do the extended stock wood. I want a reference for someone to do the cleaning and barrell work and reinstall the stock when it's finished. Taking the stock off was a real "TREAT". I know now I shouldn't be in there by myself. This gun has a steel barrell too but some fool cut 1 side off about 1/4" and not the other? I'm sure it's best to have it cut even then blued. Anyway thanks for the advise and any references for the work to be done are welcome. Art

John Campbell
02-29-2012, 09:27 AM
Art:
I believe Dale Edmonds can handle all your barrel work. Maybe... just maybe... Keith Kearcher, too. If you want the best there is, then the only choice is Kirk Merrington in Kerrville TX. But he's way backed up on work.

For the rest, you can PM me.

Best, Kensal

Eric Eis
02-29-2012, 09:29 AM
Mark will do an excellent job on the extension also ask Mark if he would clean up the stock and checkering or if he has someone he would recommend. The stock will have to be cleaned up and refinished before Mark works on the extension. Eric

Art Bensheimer
02-29-2012, 12:00 PM
Mark said he would do the whole job. So unless their is feedback that he can't handle it. That's who I'm going to have do the work. Art

Eric Eis
02-29-2012, 12:07 PM
I wasn't sure but I thought Mark could handle it, he does a nice job. Brad Bachelder in Grand Rapids MI could take care of your barrels 616-459-8924

Art Bensheimer
02-29-2012, 12:13 PM
I'm on my 4th call to Brad and still haven't heard back from him. Maybe so busy I should use someone else?

Eric Eis
02-29-2012, 02:38 PM
His shop is closed on Mondays and only open I think to 1pm on Sat. Call around 10 or 11 in the morning I never have had a problem.

ed good
03-09-2012, 07:32 AM
must be nice to go to a gun show and find two decent guns at hopefully reasonable prices.

here in the north east it is rare to go to a show and find a decent gun anymore. and if one does it often is way over priced. gunbroker has become for me the gun show of choice.

the up coming baltimore antiques show is a notable except. usually find a good gun there at a fair price. any other exceptions you care to mention?

Art Bensheimer
03-09-2012, 09:41 AM
I was very suprised to find these two at the same table and even got a discount for buying both. I did buy them at a low price and I'm going to redo some parts of them to make them very nice. I found one other DHE w/steel barrel that was reasonable and in great orig. cond.. I wish I had bought it too. But I had already spent my limit that day and needed to walk away.

Art Bensheimer
04-23-2012, 11:00 PM
Ok, so I took the advise and had Mark Larson redo the stock and both forends for the DH. Boy what differnce, He did a great job and I can't wait to get them back. Go back to the earlier posts and see the cut off stock and see what it looks like all finished. Now I can send them to Brad and have him install them on the reciever. I removed it and I think he better install it, that way it has a fighting chance of being done right the first time. Thanks to all for the advise, my first parker project is on the way to success.

Larry Frey
04-24-2012, 07:50 AM
Wow that is simply amazing! If there is a wood extension there you certainly could never tell from those photos. Please posts the before and after pics when the gun is completed.

Mark Ouellette
04-24-2012, 08:50 AM
Art,

Boy that was quick turn-around from Mark Larson!!!

You might consider asking Brad Bachelder to glass bed the stocks to the action it you are going to shoot those guns. Long ago I gave Brad a standing order to glass bed any vintage SxS of mine for which he must remove the stock. Let's call it "preventive maintenance" or if you like, "an ounce of prevention".

Great looking work!!!
Mark

E Robert Fabian
04-27-2012, 09:09 PM
Mark, I think that's great advice for anyone shooting any volume threw their 100 year guns.

bill grill
05-27-2012, 09:37 AM
Art, Kim and his brother Clark's work are second to none. Also they do complete restorations right down to making missing parts. Regards, Bill

Art Bensheimer
05-27-2012, 10:18 AM
I've got the parker repairs pretty much in hand with regards to the restoration. I do have a Ithaca Crass grade 4 that I'm going to have Kim take a look at and see if he can reatore it for me.

Chuck Heald
05-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Whatever you decide, be sure to have the guns disassembled and internally cleaned and lubed by a reputable doublegun smith if you plan to use them.

A hundred years of oil and dirt inside makes for a lousy maintenance and reliability program. But I recognize that there are some of the opinion that an un-turned screw from a hundred years ago is more important than proper maintenance. So, the issue is subject to debate.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c125/roaniecowpony/PICT0016.jpg

John Campbell
05-29-2012, 03:42 PM
Chuck:
I assume what you really mean is an "un-buggered screw." It is possible to remove Parker screws without destroying the slots -- but it takes education and a proper turnscrew to do it.
And... the bottom plate you show is virtually clean compared to some Parkers I've taken to bits! Still, they should all be treated to a strip-and-clean every few years as you say. Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

Best, Kensal

Art Bensheimer
05-29-2012, 04:03 PM
I have sent all the metal parts to Brad and I'm sure he will do all the proper things that are needed. I recieved the damascus barrels back today and boy do they look great. Dale Edmonds did a fantastic job on them.

Art Bensheimer
05-29-2012, 06:55 PM
Here are some pics. of the 16ga gun with the restored barrels from Dale Edmonds. He did a great job. No dents, nicks etc. they look great. Thanks for a great Job Dale.

Art Bensheimer
06-27-2012, 12:23 AM
Well just an update!! Brad called and the metal parts are all finished so the wood will be sent to him soon and this project will be complete. Can't wait to see the 2 brl. sets with rest of the gun should be a stunning site. Picked up a really nice 1894 Remington CE this week that is super nice. Will post pic's of the Parker so everyone can see the results of 3 different masters at work.

Mills Morrison
07-13-2012, 10:12 PM
This is a great restoration project. I am embarking on one of my own with a 10 gauge DH that came from an abusive home

Art Bensheimer
07-13-2012, 10:16 PM
I should have the gun back from Brad soon so we can all see what it looks like.

Art Bensheimer
12-28-2012, 01:08 AM
Well finally after some set backs the pair of guns are back together and I've hunted with both. My daughter thinks the 16ga. is just about the best for her and I like the 12ga. too. Everything came out real nice except some minor glitches. I'm still working on those. I will post some good pics. soon so you can all see the finished products. Art

Art Bensheimer
12-28-2012, 02:49 PM
Ok. Hope these come out so everyone can see the results!!!!

charlie cleveland
12-28-2012, 03:15 PM
wow.... charlie

Mark Landskov
12-28-2012, 03:42 PM
Wow, indeed!

Mills Morrison
12-28-2012, 08:20 PM
Great photos, great guns, great project!

William J. Latta
12-31-2012, 05:34 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I've seen lovely old Parkers that have never been worked on and they look like it, I've seen lovely old Parkers that were restored and they look wonderful and I've see old beat to hell guns that spent time in the buckboard or car trunk and/or behind grandpa's closet door that look just God awful. I have also seen "Restored" Parkers that look like a painted whore that I would no more be caught with than a painted whore. The point being it depends on the condition of the gun and the Restorer. If a Parker has been used hard as many of the lower grades were, they worked and therefore many an owner worked them hard, the restoration process if done by someone of Larry DelGrego's quality who knows Parkers inside and out will enhance the gun and probably extend the life of it. Larry returned to useful life a couple of old beauties I acquired at estate auctions and in old relic stores. Most would have been considered a POS by an untrained eye. They are beautiful now and just about anyone I know would be more than happy/proud to own them. I know what I paid for them and I know what they are worth today; I'm ahead.

Gary Carmichael Sr
01-01-2013, 12:10 PM
Good looking guns they are!