PDA

View Full Version : New Member Intro

Mark Veillette
02-18-2012, 12:41 PM
Hello, all! My name is Mark, born in Meriden CT, living in TX currently. *I inherited my Parker from my maternal Grandfather, Dr. Daniel C. Pease of Meriden CT. *He was a well respected dentist, avid outdoorsman, wingshooter and angler. The gun was originally his father's, who was also Daniel C. Pease of Meriden. *He, I believe, worked at Parker Bros. for many years and was a crack shot, based on 1st place medals I have from the National Rifle Club and the Springfield Rifle Club dated 1864-1866. Based on my inspection and help from this website the gun is:

S/N 10081
Manuf. 1877
12 Ga.
Lifter Hammer
Frame 2
30" Damascus Steel
Grade 1 P
Weight 4-4

I will post some photos shortly.

My Grandfather told me*he had a custom made for him after he got his practice established. *He never could shoot the custom as well as he liked and sold it and kept this gun. *Hoping I can get some info. on that gun also, with my research request.

Any comments and suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks!

Chuck Bishop
02-18-2012, 03:52 PM
Mark,

Hello and welcome to the world of Parkers!

According to the Serialization Book, you have everything correct except that it is a grade 2, not grade 1 and it should be a pistol grip stock.

I've looked in the "Parker Story" (Vol 2 page 492) and your Great Grandfather is listed as an "Inspector" as found in the 1893 Meriden City Directory. The book does not describe what an inspector's job was but the book does mention an "Inspectors Office" so it's safe to assume that he would have been responsible for inspecting the guns prior to shipment. The book also states that inspectors were generally of English or German descent.

I would suggest you join the Association and order a Research Letter. There are surviving factory records for your gun.

Mark Veillette
02-18-2012, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the quick reply and Grade correction. I joined PGCA today and will get Reasearch Letter Request out 1st of the week.