PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Opening Day - Waterfowl

Destry L. Hoffard
10-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Our season here in Michigan opened today. Was a little slower for the ducks at the famous Mud Hole Blind than in past years but we still had a decent shoot. Four of us ended up with 8 geese, 4 teal, 2 wood ducks, and a mallard drake.

The highlight of the morning was the geese, we did something that you sure don't do every day. I called a flock of 12 down right in front of the blind about 25 yards, big black feet stuck out pretty as you please. We stood up and poured it into them killing the four man limit of eight geese in one volley. I had as clean a right and left as I've shot on honkers in a long time. Had the Swamp Angel out for her American debut and was very pleased with the results. I can officially apply for my "Parker Double" pin now with no questions asked.

The time of joy has begun my friends.......

Destry

Bill Bolyard
10-10-2009, 01:42 PM
Destry.

Congratulation's on the fine shooting. Out of curiosity are the first to get a Doubles Pin?

BILL

Kurt Densmore
10-10-2009, 04:21 PM
Glad to hear you got on some birds Destry. Congrats on the double with a double. :bowdown: Where are the pictures ??

Does a double on Honkers count if it took place a couple weeks prior to the announcement of the program...??

We drew 5th at Shiawassee State Game Area this AM and took a flooded field. Two of us shot 11 ducks and 3 geese. Mostly mallards, a pair of GW Teal and a pair of Widgeon. I didn't shoot my duck limit (4 mallards, 1 widgeon) and Bob didn't shoot his Goose limit. Lots of Mallards at the flats with very few GW Teal and Wood ducks to be seen.

Kurt

Destry L. Hoffard
10-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Bill,

I don't know, I've emailed Jennifer so maybe she'll tell me if I am.

Kurt,

Sounds like you boys had a good morning, making that kind of draw has to be a rarity. As far as the Doubles pin, they announced it here on the BBS so I'm assuming it's a running program. My friend Brian took a few pics, I'll see if he won't email them over to me.

Destry

Bill Bolyard
10-10-2009, 09:37 PM
Kurt,

As my Dad use to say "Don't tell me what you did yesterday, but what did you do today." I shot my only double on grouse a few years ago with a 28ga hammer gun. Those pesky birds do not offer such a opportunity very often, but I closed my eyes and just pulled the triggers. I think the offer of a free award on your own recognizance has to start from the time of the announcement. Destry I hope that your witness to this feet is a upstanding Gentleman that can stand the scrutiny of this board. :duck: Again Congratulation.

Bill

Destry L. Hoffard
10-12-2009, 02:06 PM
The boys that saw me do it wouldn't stand the scrutiny of anybody, even if you hit them over the head with a board. But I actually did do it, you have my word as a "gentleman".

Destry

Bill Bolyard
10-12-2009, 02:12 PM
Destry,

Sounds like your hunting with my friends. Great Job anyways. I be leave you, or coarse I don't think I could stand up to that scrutiny ether. :eek:

Bill

Dean Romig
10-12-2009, 02:26 PM
I presume the award is for a true double shot anytime in the past - even before the announcement. To the best of my knowledge this "PGCA Doubles Program" is modeled after the Ruffed Grouse Society's recently adopted Doubles Award Pin in which the applicant fills out a form stating location and date of the feat. I recieved my pin for a ruffed grouse double that I shot about five years ago.

Don Kaas
10-12-2009, 02:41 PM
Well done on the double, DeHo! Maybe you can get one on brant in January...I figured we would have had some on the snow geese in Gaspe' had we seen any... I should send an application in for Russell Bickel for a dozen pins...I've seen him double on ducks with 2 different DHEs in Argentina at least that many times. I probably need a half dozen for Virginia quail with my 16g DHE...it is a very generous program...

Destry L. Hoffard
10-12-2009, 03:36 PM
If I'd apply for every double I ever shot I wouldn't need that many. *laughs*

I actually shot a double on woodcock years ago, it wasn't until more recent times that I knew what a rarity it was and that I could have joing the famous "Woodcock Club" had I know about it at the time.

My witness was a friend but I've not seen him in years due to both of us leaving the old home area. If I remember correctly he didn't even know what the birds were. So much for what I'm sure will be my only ever double on 'doodles.

Destry

Don Kaas
10-12-2009, 03:55 PM
Given your limited time in the "uplands", a realistic sentiment. No doubling on sandhill cranes! I am, however, shooting the next becassine that floats over "the bay" at Roger's...

Destry L. Hoffard
10-12-2009, 04:05 PM
I tell you what, if we get any cranes to actually decoy I'd say a double wouldn't be hard on those prehistoric looking things. Of course you're talking to a guy that lost a swan once so maybe not.....

DLH

Dean Romig
10-12-2009, 04:12 PM
Destry, I shot my only double on woodcock in 1961 with a Trojan twelve. Just a fluke, I'm quite certain of it.

Destry L. Hoffard
10-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Mine was with my Dad's old Stevens 311, I know mine was a fluke.

DLH

Destry L. Hoffard
10-13-2009, 11:42 AM
Gave them another try again this morning with my buddy Russ. Wasn't much moving but we managed a pair of mallards, a pair of wood ducks, and a goose.

Destry