PDA

View Full Version : crow loads

charlie cleveland
02-15-2012, 10:07 PM
fellas its about time for me to load up a few rounds for the old 8 ga for crows...gonna go with a 1 1/2 ounce load which is lite for the 8...ive tried using a 1 ounce load and a 1 1/4 but the 1 1/2 ounce seems to perform the best....crow season ends feb. 28 here so not to many days left...what about you other crow hunters yall s seasons still open.... charlie

Keith Parrish
02-16-2012, 11:15 PM
How far can you knock down a birdy with one of them loaded 8's??

charlie cleveland
02-17-2012, 12:06 AM
it will knock a crow down at 60 yards every shot if i do my part....it will do better and farther but on a average this is about my longest shots i take... charlie

Gary Carmichael Sr
02-17-2012, 07:51 AM
That's what they mean when they say reach out and touch them!

Pete Lester
02-17-2012, 11:01 AM
Be careful Charlie, crows fall under the federal migratory game bird treaty/laws and an upper limit of 10 gauge is all that is allowed same as ducks and geese.

http://www.fws.gov/le/pdffiles/50_CFR_20.pdf

See 20.19(a) an 20.21(a)

Gary Carmichael Sr
02-17-2012, 04:32 PM
Charlie, There are two hunting seasons that nobody knows about, bat and bee season, Let me tell you how this got started with me. Well I have a big fireplace with stone that is laid "dry stacked" you can't see the mortar but i t is there, now certain times of the year a bat will sneak in. One night we were watching TV and my wife screamed out I saw the bat as she ran from the room arms waving she closed here self in the bedroom, well I had an answer for old mr bat 22cal rat shot in my pistol, I climbed the stairs so I could see better there he was perched on a ledge on the fireplace, Well I could have done him in right then and there, but I am a sporting kind of guy so I thought I will shoot under him so he will fly up and then get a shot in midair. Well I did just that "POW" the bat fell just as my wife emerged from the bedroom, well that's when the sh## hit the fan. All of a sudden my lab decided to retrieve the bat, my wife is screaming shes gonna get rabies. I was able to call the dog off but getting my wife calmed down from all the shooting going an in the house is another story. Now for the bees, those pesky woodboring bees can be shot the same way. You know how they will come right up to your face and buz, if you shoot them with a 22 rat shot you can dust them and it's fun. Just thought you might like to know but don't go shooting that 8ga in the house now!

Gary Carmichael Sr
02-17-2012, 04:36 PM
Charlie, one more thing that was a true story, my house is made from logs so the pellet marks just give it a little character well at least that what I tell my wife!

charlie cleveland
02-17-2012, 06:01 PM
i have laughed till i acually cried at this storey...i may have to get me some rat shot too... gotta tell this one to my buddies....youve made my evening thanks for the laugh and the info on bees and bats.... charlie

Dave Suponski
02-17-2012, 06:14 PM
Now that was funny.......:rotf: But I am gonna have to hear this again in person at the Southern.....

scott kittredge
02-17-2012, 07:23 PM
in my 10's i use 1 1/4 6's,12 ga 1 or 1 1/8th oz 6's and 20 ga 7/8 th oz 6 or 7's but for the most part 6's and my 10 ga. and boy do i like to shoot crows! :) scott

Fred Preston
02-17-2012, 08:13 PM
A friend from Noble County had trouble with driller bees, so, after a few PBRs, he went after them without much success with his 20ga 870. I said that he needed the right load, so we sat down at the kitchen table and made up a load; 10gr Unique pushing a tablespoon of sugar. Works like a charm at 5 yards.

Gary Carmichael Sr
02-17-2012, 08:47 PM
Now that is what I call a sweet load, between the 22 and that we can rid the world of these pesky creatures!

charlie cleveland
02-17-2012, 10:47 PM
if youve never shot crows the rite way youve missed part of life.... charlie

Paul Harm
02-21-2012, 10:01 AM
My buddy Dave was only dusting them with his target loads so I gave him some #2 shot and some small buck shot. Also had some of those wads with the pedals connected at the top. He said a flock came over the other day " way up there " - 4 shots got him 3 crows. He's wanting more supplies. Paul

charlie cleveland
02-21-2012, 08:32 PM
yep them big shot will do the trick on those long shots...i like them no 2 s for turkey too... charlie

Destry L. Hoffard
02-21-2012, 08:34 PM
I've always shot 1 1/4 of 4's or 6's at crows, then seem to kill them pretty well.

This bee shooting idea has got me looking at my Winchester .22 smoothbore in a whole new light.......

DLH

John Dallas
02-21-2012, 08:55 PM
A number of years ago, in a now-defunct conservation newspaper in Michigan, the "North Woods Call", there was an article about shooting grasshoppers with ,22 birdshot

charlie cleveland
02-22-2012, 08:05 PM
boys ive lived in a grass paradice for 40 years a nd never new it...im with destrey theres a whole new huntingapproch to these grass hoppers and bees...guess ill have to use the old ruger bearcat on themcritters....what would yall recommend on the rite gun and load on those giant texas grass hoppers....theres some woppers of them things here about october.... charlie

Ray Pond
02-22-2012, 11:07 PM
ok back to the bat story. Talk about fair game. The bat that was loose in my house well tried to chase it out that didnt work so got the long handled fish net that worked just great til I got it outside and tried to figure out how to get all the claws and hooks and teeth loose from the net nasty looking creatures up that close and especially when they are mad at you. Well finally got it all loose and it flew away never to return inside the house again.

charlie cleveland
02-22-2012, 11:22 PM
ray that may have been DRACULAthat you turned loose on the world again..ha boy them bat sure are fierce looking little devils up close...we need so more bat stories.... charlie

John Dallas
02-23-2012, 09:09 AM
Tennis racquets are effective, but be careful in the house, it's easy to knock over lamps (don't ask how I know) The last several encounters I've had were resoved by covering the bat with a towel when he got tired and stopped for a rest.

Richard Flanders
02-23-2012, 11:43 AM
Our old farmhouse had a spot in the living room where the floor was settling away from the wall as the old stone foundation settled.... the TV electrical cord kept falling into the crack and getting chewed by a rat that had taken up housekeeping under the house. Why one of our cat herd never got that critter is beyond me; too well fed I guess. My dad had a bright idea. He put a chair in front of the crack, got out his trusty S&W officers model .38 and a flashlight, turned out the lights and waited. When he heard the telltale munching, he got ready and flipped on the flashlight to expose the beady red eyes and let her fly. My mother feigned sleeping on the couch in protest and was not one bit happy with this little escapade. Of course we all thought it was brilliant and made perfect sense. He made a good shot too, with only a small nick in the linoleum floor to show for it. A little electrical tape on the cord and we were back in business and the problem did not again arise. True story! You can't make this stuff up.

John Dallas
02-23-2012, 12:53 PM
Richard - Our fathers must have been twins separated at birth. My dad was a city boy who, during his early career at DuPont moved a lot. At one house, they had a chicken coop. A rat kept chewing up thru the floor of the coop and raising hell with the chickens. He got the bright idea to sit in the coop at dusk, armed with a golf club (7 iron?) When the rat stuck his head up, Dad, using the correct overlapping grip, swung mightily at the rat. He was never sure if he killed it or not, butr he did say that there were a helluvalot of chickens flying around blindly in the dark. Not good.

charlie cleveland
02-24-2012, 10:29 AM
can you imagine the scene.. chickin s flying everywhere dark as a dungon. and a man swinging the mighty golf club.... then the other man setting paeintly waiting on the chickin rat with his 38... charlie

Keith Parrish
02-26-2012, 02:45 AM
We had our first Christmas tree in our new house with gifts and the whole thing decorated. One night we both said that our kitty sure has taken a liken to the orinaments and the tree. Well a week before Christmas day we were watching the tube with the cat under the tree staring up it from underneath and I noticed the orinaments were moving. Thought it was the beer til the cat tried to climb our tree. There was a mouse in the tree. I couldn't shake it out and I tried helping kitty up from the bottom that didn't work so I went out and got my old Air rifle loaded with a pellet on 2 pumps. Pop I shot and I missed the darn mouse went up higher. The pellet stuck in our wall. I loaded another and shot. Like a pine cone bouncing down a tree down fell the mouse kitty scooped it up and took off to her room and out I went for plaster and the matching paint can to patch up the 2 small pellet holes in our wall. We all got gifts that year even kitty!!!!