PDA

View Full Version : Artificailly aging metal

Brian Dudley
02-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Wondering if anyone out there has a good way of artificially aging metal. Say if there is a spot on a receiver that needs to be polished out and after you want to gray it back to try and match the rest of the patina on the gun.

I know when I took jewelry class in college, we used to use a pickeling solution to darken metals.

Linn Matthews
02-06-2012, 10:10 PM
I would guess that the pickeling solution is acidic thereby providing oxidation to the metal on which it has been applied. Guessing again that spot treatment on steel that had been case hardened might be variable dependent upon one "spot" vs another and thus difficult to match given the history of the metal

John Hancock
02-06-2012, 10:19 PM
Brian, Take some scrap steel, polish and put a slice of apple on it for an hour at a time. I am not kidding. As well, any hydorchloric acid will do it, ie: toilet cleaner, concrete etchant, ect. Dupont makes a steel refinishing system (part # 5718-s) that I have played around with on a (Junk, been a house fire) Superposed action, you need to dip in this and I don't know if you could do just a spot like you described, with this stuff the longer you leave it the darker the gray will get. Experiment till you get the steel to turn the color you want. If you did decide to do the whole action I can give you some more of my experience from what I have done so far. Regards, John H

John Hancock
02-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Per Parkerman's thoughts, I have not tried to do any graying on something case hardened and I too expect that the "skin" will make it hard to get any kind of a match. We can always borrow money, can't borrow time and there isn't ever enough of it. Regards, John H

Brian Dudley
02-07-2012, 08:34 AM
I will have to play around a bit when I get the chance. I know that the pickling solution that we used on jewelry metals was very fast acting. Turned the metal black nearly instant. I have had fair luck in the past touching up scratches in case colors with just a quick application of cold blue. However, if you have an action with Patina and there are white scratches or marks, something more mild would be needed.

Destry L. Hoffard
02-07-2012, 01:16 PM
I'd try the apple trick. I've used it on vintage knives after I cleaned them up and it really works. Take a vintage knife you've had to file on or buff a bit to clean up, then cut up an apple with it. Leave the juice on the blade and let it dry for a couple hours. It will be blue / grey again in no time. A quick rinse in cold water will clean it off and you'll be set.

DLH

Jerry Harlow
02-07-2012, 03:16 PM
Brian,

I had an excellent Remington VH that had lots of case colors. However, one of the breech balls on the receiver had a severe case of road rash where it appeared to me it had met pavement . I had Thierry Duquet put all of the metal back in place he could, and the reshape it and recut the zig-zag border. Now I had a perfect receiver with one shiny spot. I used a pencil butane torch, heated it only slightly at the bare spot, applied a little bluing with a cotton swab, and used a very fine Scotchbrite pad to slowly match the rest. One could not tell it had ever been touched and still cannot until this day. If the receiver was a brown patina instead of gray I would use browning on it as that instantly turns brown and can be worked down with a Scotchbrite pad. The worst you can do is get back to square one where you started.

Chuck Heald
02-07-2012, 04:14 PM
I have used acids (Muriatic) used for concrete cleaning on metals, but not for aging. In the commercial strengths, it will brighten metal to silver instantly.

Chuck Heald
02-07-2012, 04:18 PM
I often wondered if getting that gray patina could be achieved by using rust blue solution (nitric acid solution) in a similar manner to rust blueing: apply solution, rust for a period, flush with water, and scouwer with 000 or thereabouts steelwool, repeat as necessary. The acid would etch as it does in the finish of rust blue. Comments?

Brian Dudley
02-08-2012, 08:41 AM
Destry,

How would I go about cutting an apple with a shotgun action? :rotf:

Chuck Heald
02-08-2012, 10:15 AM
...a very light load.

Destry L. Hoffard
02-08-2012, 12:39 PM
Take out your pocket knife, cut up the apple, and lay the piece on the bare spot in the metal.

You boys, I give you good tricks to use and you can't figure them out. *rolls eyes*

Destry the Expert

Ray Masciarella
02-11-2012, 08:17 AM
I have aged metal with mustard, apples, vinegar, orange juice, etc. Anything with a little acid in it. Never tried it on a case hardened tho.

I have heard that there is some method out there that can actually restore some the case colors but not sure how it is done. Anyone heard of this before? Apparently, if there is enough left and just dull, there is some thing you can use to clean or restore or something to bring them back a little (not like new). I've heard entrances do it if they had to make repair and blend back in. Anyone?

Ray

Chuck Heald
02-11-2012, 08:55 AM
There's a process involving a torch and cold blue (copper sulfate?) and low heating, which was posted by a number of members of the doublegun site and said to have been of Ithaca's creation.

A simple coat of lacquer or other clear will greatly enhance colors that are there.

Ray Masciarella
02-11-2012, 09:34 AM
It wasn't the heat method as I dont think (not sure) that restores the colors. was something used to just blend. Wish I new more.

For got to mention. Galazan has what it calls a case color restoration kit. Have no idea what is actually in the three little bottles in kit. Could be snake oil for all I know.

Has anyone used it?