PDA

View Full Version : Shotshells

Chris Casson
10-06-2009, 11:26 PM
Greetings All, I have recently joined the Assoc. I was given my 1st parker 25 years ago on my 14th birthday by my grandfather. A V-grade (147737) size 2 frame 12 guage.

I need your advice regarding the proper shells to use for Turkey and/or Waterfowl. I have purchased a box of Classic Doubles but have not used them.

The weight of the barrels is/are 4.2. I had heard this particular gun was a "waterfowl" model?

Anyway, any advice would be very much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Chris

Richard Flanders
10-06-2009, 11:36 PM
Welcome to the site Chris. Please tell us more about the condition of the gun in general and especially the barrels and post a few pics if you can.

Chris Casson
10-06-2009, 11:43 PM
Will do. Give me until tomorrow; camera at the office.

Don Kaas
10-07-2009, 11:20 AM
If the gun is tight and the barrels sound, Hevi-shot Classic Doubles 2 3/4" 1 1/8oz at its modest velocity should be an appropriate load. RST also makes a Niceshot load that many people like. Your Parker is one of the most common (12g 30" VH) varieties of the make. Though not a "waterfowl" model per se and more of an early 20th all around American double, it should make a decent duck gun. Good Luck with it.

Chris Casson
10-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Thank you Don. Those are the exact loads I have purchased (#5s).

I have noticed a slight "give" when assemlbed. The barrels seem loose-just enough to notice movement (left-right).

I am not versed enough with this firearm attempt a repair. Is there a reputable gunsmith in the U.S. who is knowledgeable about such a firearm?

Thank you

Chris

Chris Casson
10-07-2009, 12:11 PM
Another question:

Did Parker employ a uniform method of choke measurements (i.e. Full-left barrel, Mod.-right barrel) on this type of firearm as it was so common?

Don Kaas
10-07-2009, 03:44 PM
The Parker choke dimensions are fairly standard and should be around.035" full and .020-.025 modified. Each Parker gun was patterned at the factory individually so the chokes can and do vary a bit. Del Rio is probably a bit out of the way for double gunsmiths but Kirk Merrington in Kerrville,TX among others can fix the "play" which is likely wear between the roll joint and the barrel hook. This can be welded up or shimmed. Shooting a somewhat loose gun is not necessary unsafe but it will only get worse if you do. BTW, Parker made 242,000 guns of which 78,000 were VH guns. "Common" is a relative term...all Parkers were fine guns you are lucky to have one with a family history. I have a 1912 DHE 16g from the family with its history from new and I cherish it.

Chris Casson
10-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Thanks again Don. I will make contact with Mr. Merrington and make arrangements (hopefully) to get the gun to him for his evaluation.