PDA

View Full Version : Black powder shotshells

frank nagy
01-30-2012, 07:36 PM
Gentleman; My name is Frank Nagy. I have an 1887 Lever Action, Winchester 10 gauge. I am advise to only shoot black powder 2 1/2 inch shells. I am looking for a source for such ammunition.

Jeff Mayhew
01-30-2012, 11:13 PM
Frank, you'll probably have to find a friend to load them for you, or learn to reload yourself. If you were shooting a double gun you could buy RMC (Rocky Mountain Cartridge) brass and load your own with no significant tooling. But this probably isn't recommended for the lever action, because of the sharp front lip on these casings.

For your gun you probably want crimped shells, with a rounded forward lip that will be more friendly to the feed ramp. Buffalo Arms claims that they may be able to load any ammunition you want, if you don't see it on their site (at a price, no doubt).

Another option would be RST "reduced recoil" shotshells, but I don't believe they make them in 2 1/2" for 10 ga. (others, please correct me on this). They do offer 2 7/8". These are not black powder, but lighter loads of modern powders.

If you can find a way to get access to low-pressure smokeless loads, it will probably be a lot easier on your gun in terms of filth and corrosion. The nice thing about double guns is that they break down into simple parts, and most of the grunge is in the barrels. Black powder is extremely dirty, and gets into the guts of more modern pump/lever/etc. guns.

Darryl Alexander
01-31-2012, 08:38 AM
Here is a source I have used for old blackpowder shells.
http://gadcustomcartridges.com/
Sometimes pricey, but has a wide selection.
Darryl Alexander

charlie cleveland
01-31-2012, 10:27 AM
frank i would have my chamber measured...would almost bet its longer than 2 1/2 inch...most of these guns you have were steel barrel guns...in other words safe to fire smokeless loads if the barrels and gun is in good shape...have your gun checked out by someone who knows about the old winchester plus i would learn how to load my on shells it can be done with very little tools... but if you dont want to reload i would go with the RST brand.... charlie

Jim Bennett
08-06-2012, 01:25 PM
I have a double case of Victor 10 gauge 2 7/8 in # 4's.

Destry L. Hoffard
08-06-2012, 01:56 PM
Frank,

I've got a heap of black powder 10 gauge shells I'd sell. Loaded by a defunct company out east somewhere. I've shot a few, they're good loads. Drop me a PM on this site if you'd like to talk. They're all 2 7/8 length but as far as I ever knew any Winchester lever action would shoot them.

Destry

frank nagy
08-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Frank,

I've got a heap of black powder 10 gauge shells I'd sell. Loaded by a defunct company out east somewhere. I've shot a few, they're good loads. Drop me a PM on this site if you'd like to talk. They're all 2 7/8 length but as far as I ever knew any Winchester lever action would shoot them.

Destry

Destry; How many do you have and what is the price? Please respond to: m4242@frontier.com;
Frank Nagy

frank nagy
08-07-2012, 05:39 PM
Destry; How many do you have and what is the price?
Frank Nagy
please reply to: m4242@frontier.com;

Mark Landskov
08-07-2012, 11:52 PM
Jim, would you be willing to part with one nice box of your Peters 10 gauge shells for my collection?

Jim Bennett
08-08-2012, 10:08 AM
Send information so I can tell you the shipping.

frank nagy
08-08-2012, 02:30 PM
Jim; Are these Black Powder and what are you asking for them.
Frank Nagy
Please respond to m4242@frontier.com;