PDA

View Full Version : 20ga Q1, Q2

Sam Casey
01-27-2012, 06:14 PM
What are constrictions of 20ga Q1, Q2 chokes? My I/M 20ga is .010 & .015. and is a bit tight for grouse. Have been looking for PG, ST, SFE Q1, Q2 gun to hunt, but no luck yet and may end up sending some barrels to Briley to open chokes. Are the barrels chrome lined? Thanks for help.

Greg Baehman
01-27-2012, 06:30 PM
My 20-ga. Q1/Q2 chokes measure .004/.007. The barrels are chrome lined, but I understand that the choke area isn't, so choke alteration is easy.

Dean Romig
01-27-2012, 07:12 PM
Oddly enough mine seem to be jug-choked. They are constricted about the same in both sets of barrels, the 26" and the 28" barrels. The chokes measure about .005" and .014" in both sets.
It is my understanding that all Parker Reproduction barrels are chrome lined.

Chris Travinski
01-28-2012, 04:39 PM
Sam, Steve Barnett had a set of 28" Q1/Q2 20ga barrels forsale at a very reasonable price a while ago, don't know if he still has them.

Gary Laudermilch
01-30-2012, 09:43 AM
Sam,
I had my 26" IC/M chokes opened to .004 and .008 specifically for grouse and woodcock. I have been extremely satisfied with the results. I have done a bunch of pattern testing with this gun. What I found is that you will be amazed at what you can do just by altering your choice of ammo. So, while choke constriction is important, your choice of ammo is equally or more important to achieve the results you desire. Unfortunately, the only way to really know what you are getting is to do a bunch of boring pattern testing. I am confident that with the right choice of ammo you can make that IC/M barrel open to at least very even SK/IC patterns. Have fun!

Sam Casey
01-30-2012, 07:51 PM
Chris - thanks for tip, but prefer shorter barrels for woods. Gary - I hunted a PG, ST, SFE 20 for a lot of years. Briley had opened chokes to .003/.006 as I recall. Fell with gun and broke at wrist. That was nicely repaired, but finally ringed the barrel near muzzle and sold it. Always wondered if opening chrome lined barrel somehow weakened it. More likely it was one of my reloads or obstruction I didn't notice. Have owned several since, mostly straight stocks and DT's, but really question value of DT when both chokes are that open & think time is so short as with grouse. Have shot so many clays over the years, am at my best with PG & ST. Agree a lot can be done with shot size, hardness, powders, spreader inserts, but correct chokes give me most confidence. Going to stay on hunt for Q1, Q2 or settle for I/M & send to Briley again.