PDA

View Full Version : 8 gauge hulls

CraigThompson
01-25-2012, 01:54 PM
You gentleman that reload the 8 gauge , what do you use for hulls ?

Do you go to Rocky Mountain Cartridge and buy the brass hulls are have you guys found some sort of way to use the Remington Industrial plastic hulls ?

CraigThompson
01-25-2012, 01:55 PM
Or is there someone I'm not aware of that manufactures a good sporting plastic 8 gauge hull ?

CraigThompson
01-25-2012, 01:56 PM
And another question .

If you have access to a good sporting plastic 8 gauge hull , what do you use to make a 6 or 8 point crimp ?

JAMES HALL
01-25-2012, 09:51 PM
And another question .

If you have access to a good sporting plastic 8 gauge hull , what do you use to make a 6 or 8 point crimp ?

Tom Armbrust
815-385-0037
He can help with info on how to do all the things you asked. Also has written a book and listed some load info.

edgarspencer
01-26-2012, 07:02 AM
I think Gary Herman still has some of that Eley 8 bore stuff. A lot was bismuth.

Bill Murphy
01-29-2012, 08:22 PM
Some eight gauge shooters resize the "industrial base" on eight gauge hulls. Depending on the design of the hull, you may be able to peel the base off the hull like I used to do. RMC brass hulls are a good choice if you can afford what you need. I have 30 of these and that seems to be enough for me. Gary Herman's Bismuth cartridges are in sized Remington or Winchester hulls that can be reloaded. The Remington hulls look like they would be a better choice. They are a good buy if you can hook up with him. He will probably be at the Southern Side by Side.

edgarspencer
01-29-2012, 08:51 PM
Bill, the 8s I was refering to in GT's basement are Eley. I think the Bismuth ones may be under some other name, not sure, though I've moved them so many times, I ought to remember. I'll check this week.

charlie cleveland
01-30-2012, 07:54 AM
whats the price of shells per box charlie

Bill Murphy
01-30-2012, 09:10 AM
Edgar, I have both Gamebore and Eley factory loaded Bismuth eights from Gary. The Eley are in Remington hulls and the Gamebore are in Winchester hulls, as I recall. I have not shot any, but I had to have them. I have a lifetime supply for US use, enough for a long vacation in the UK. I may shoot a few tame mallards with them when I recover from hand surgery. That won't be until next season.

Bill Murphy
01-30-2012, 09:11 AM
Charlie, you will have to ask the owner of the shells. Maybe Edgar can give you contact information. I don't have it right now.

edgarspencer
01-30-2012, 02:28 PM
Bill, you're probably right, though all he has now are BB. I know Gary said you bought some. The ones I looked at are headstamped ELEY. Charlie, they're $35/box of 10. If you want some PM me and I'll give you his contact info. No sense me paying for all that extra gas to lug them back here to reship.

charlie cleveland
01-30-2012, 03:47 PM
edgar will pm you for the info...another question i have is who would you see about getting a set of dies to press the8 ga industrial hulls to fit our guns....i know the guy in tom armbrust book that use to make these dies for sale no longer makes them..ive talked with him and he said some mite show up for sale on the internet but none has...does any body know of anybody who makes the dies for sale...i know the guy who made these dies use to take a 10 ga reloader a single stage and turn it into a 8 ga reloader..about a few years ago he sold these for not much more than the 10 ga reloader but atlast by the time i found out about the 8 ga reloader hed quit making them... charlie

Bill Murphy
01-30-2012, 06:06 PM
The 8 gauge MEC loaders I have seen advertised have been priced at a ridiculous level. There is nothing in an 8 gauge shell that can't be reloaded without a press except for the crimp. In my opinion, the crimp is not neccesary for a good load. I don't know anything about the resizing of the industrial shells. I have alway peeled mine. However, I don't know if you can peel Remington plastic hulls.

edgarspencer
01-30-2012, 06:15 PM
Charlie, what little I knew about 8 ga., I've repressed, because I've lost 25 pounds since early December, and wasn't particularly heavy even back then. I'm going back to hospital next week to have a foot of large intestine removed, so kicking the s**t out of myself isn't high on my bucket list at the moment.

charlie cleveland
01-30-2012, 08:53 PM
wish you the best on your surgery...i know what your saying about the 8 ga kicking hard but ive had the 3 inch 12 ga and the 3 1/2 inch 12 ga hurt me bad a few times...id rather shoot the 8 than a 12 magnum double or a single barrel...the weight of the 8 ga keeps recoil from being to bad...bill ive loaded a lots of rounds for the 8 ga with out theproper tools..i use my old lee hand loader 10 ga most of the time...got me a crimp roller from precision works purty good a lot of times i barrow my wifes hot glue gun... bill did you use a lathe to peel those hulls... charlie

Bill Murphy
01-31-2012, 07:52 AM
If you have the two piece shells, start by removing the primer. Then cut a 45 degree notch just at the edge of the outer brass with a machinist's saw. A little piece of the brass will pop up when you cut through the outer brass before the saw hits the inner brass. Grab the little piece with a needle nose pliers and roll the brass until you remove the whole thing. The primer hole will now accept a 209 primer. I don't remember whether new Remington hulls can be peeled like this. The last ones I did were WW paper. I hear most people use a sizer these days.

Bill Murphy
01-31-2012, 08:28 AM
I just looked at a black Remington plastic hull, and it seems to be two piece.

charlie cleveland
01-31-2012, 10:49 AM
thanks bill... i will try this soon... this was good info for me and others..... charlie

Bill Murphy
02-01-2012, 02:20 PM
The resizer is probably a better way to go if you know how to get one made. Maybe Mr. Armbrust has a source of resizers. Be aware that when peeling the brass outer layer away from the inner layer, you roll it on the nose of your pliers until all of the outer layer is removed, including the rim, the base, and the primer pocket. That is how you are able to use a 209 primer.

JAMES HALL
02-01-2012, 09:32 PM
The resizer is probably a better way to go if you know how to get one made. Maybe Mr. Armbrust has a source of resizers. Be aware that when peeling the brass outer layer away from the inner layer, you roll it on the nose of your pliers until all of the outer layer is removed, including the rim, the base, and the primer pocket. That is how you are able to use a 209 primer.

8 Bore Ammunition By Douglas McDougall is another source of loads and has also got a diagram on how to have a resizer made at a machine shop. Jim

charlie cleveland
02-01-2012, 11:04 PM
i looked on the net for this book its out of print...all the big book sellers did not have one in stock....several people wanting this book...maybe one will turn up soon... thanks james for the info..... charlie