PDA

View Full Version : Let's celebrate them Repros!

Greg Baehman
01-24-2012, 05:41 PM
Tom Skeuse had a dream, being a Parker collector he was concerned that the few remaining Parkers had been retired to collector's gun cabinets and that unique feel of a Parker would be lost forever. Mr. Skeuse put his own efforts and resources behind the dream to introduce a Parker reproduction that would satisfy the most discriminating sportsman. We owe a debt of gratitude to Mr. Skeuse and his foresight for all of us to enjoy!

We own our Parker Repros for various reasons...some of us hunt them, some of us use them as target guns, some of us collect them and some of us have them just to look at, but all of us love them...so let's see them!

I'll start it off with my "Po' Man's Parker", it's a 28-ga. DHE, 2-bbl. set, 26" Q1/Q2, 28" M/F with a set of 28/.410 Chambermates. The Quilted Claro blank used on this gun is quite unique, when viewing the gun from different angles the dark areas change to light and visa versa.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o166/bamb00zler/001-1.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o166/bamb00zler/002-2.jpg

And when the 28 is too much gun, in go the Chambermates.
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o166/bamb00zler/28-410Chambermates004.jpg

Kenny Graft
01-24-2012, 07:14 PM
I would post some pics but they don't fit..to big. Its a pain in the *!@....resize em...Wish this sight would except them as they are...)-: Maybe some day....

Dean Romig
01-24-2012, 09:03 PM
Here's my 20/20/16 Repro skeet gun. 26" Q1 & Q2, 28" Q1 & Q2, 28" F & F 16 ga. Galazan.

It is a very versatile skeet gun with a set of turkey barrels. I've shot most of the color off the frame but it still works perfectly as long as I do my part.

I was never really pleased with the wood but the gun was made to exactly replicate an original Remington/Parker skeet gun and with these original features is relatively unique.

Karl Ferguson
01-24-2012, 09:29 PM
Here's a few pics of my Parker Repro 28 Ga 2 BBL set that Angelo Bee did the gold inlays on many years ago.It is by far my favorite upland gun for dove and quail.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/classicioi/KarlsParkerRepro6.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/classicioi/KarlsParkerRepro4.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/classicioi/KarlsParkerRepro2.jpg

IMG]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/classicioi/KarlsParkerRepro1.jpg[/IMG]

Marvin Kells
01-25-2012, 08:02 AM
Here is my favorite, both because of its beauty and because of its fit. I haven't seen another A1-Special with this combination of SG/DT and the long 14 5/8 LOP.

Greg Baehman
01-25-2012, 08:55 AM
Posted for Kenny Graft:

"Rare double trigger set...best I can figure only 9 sets left the factory in DHE grade 410/28 , only 4 of them are known to have double triggers. I have records of 8 of the original sets. It is possible that additional 410 barrel sets exist that were sold stand alone to be added to guns previously owned that did not get included in Tom Skues recollection of 410-s ? No matter few exist! thanks all SXs ohio...(-: "

Marvin Kells
01-25-2012, 10:01 AM
Karl,

That is a gorgeous Repro! I'd love to see some more close-ups of the gold inlays ....

Richard Skeuse
01-25-2012, 01:41 PM
Thank you all for posting all of the beautiful pictures of those Parker Reproductions. Dad had an idea and the means to do it and for this thanks Dad.

Karl Ferguson
01-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Marvin,

These are the only other pictures I have. Hopefully you can see a little more detail. Thanks for the compliment.

IMG]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/classicioi/KarlsRepro3.jpg[/IMG]

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/classicioi/KarlsRepro5.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/classicioi/KarlsRepro7.jpg

Karl Ferguson
01-25-2012, 01:49 PM
The last picture didn't load with the other ones so here it is.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/classicioi/KarlsRepro3.jpg

Greg Baehman
01-26-2012, 12:06 PM
We're seeing some pretty scarce and seldom encountered Repros so far.

Dean's set, I have to believe is quite rare, as a matter of fact, I don't ever recall seeing an original same gauge 2-bbl. set, 26" & 28" bbls. with the same chokes before. Dean, do you prefer one barrel length over the other?

Karl's 28-ga. 2-bbl. set is unique with the Angelo Bee gold inlays, the addition of the custom beavertail forend and the sex change operation it underwent makes for a one-of-a-kind gun.

Marvin's 20-ga. A-1 Special---what a jewel!...is there a more beautiful A-1 Special in existance? I guess the only improvement Marvin could make to it would be to get those darn tight chokes opened up to make it more usable for the type of shooting he does. How about it Marv? (Just kidding!)

Kenny's 28/.410 bi-gauge set is a rare bird, too; as he has stated. Kenny would like to acquire every 28/.410 DT/PG set on the planet. Go, Kenny, Go!

In keeping with the somewhat scarce theme we have going so far, here's one of the 125 Sporting Clays Classic models produced. It came to me with an oil finish and rubber pad. I do like the oil finish, but would have preferred a skeleton buttplate. This gun was re-casecolored by John Gillette of Classic Guns, Inc.

Marvin Kells
01-26-2012, 02:46 PM
In keeping with the somewhat scarce theme we have going so far, here's one of the 125 Sporting Clays Classic models produced. It came to me with an oil finish and rubber pad. I do like the oil finish, but would have preferred a skeleton buttplate. This gun was re-casecolored by John Gillette of Classic Guns, Inc.

What beautiful wood! I don't believe I've seen a Repro SC case with choke holders. Were they all like that?

Greg Baehman
01-26-2012, 03:03 PM
What beautiful wood! I don't believe I've seen a Repro SC case with choke holders. Were they all like that?
Actually, I made the choke and wrench holder out of some scrap pine, bored the holes and glued some felt on.

Thanks for the compliment on the wood! Speaking of beautiful wood, how about treating us to the money side of your A-1's stock as well as that little 28 2-bbl. set of yours?:corn:

Dave Suponski
01-26-2012, 03:07 PM
Greg, How about some closeups of the case colors?

Richard Skeuse
01-26-2012, 03:17 PM
I remember selling that Quilted stock and if I had the money then I would have bought it. Very nice to see it again

Greg Baehman
01-26-2012, 03:47 PM
I remember selling that Quilted stock and if I had the money then I would have bought it. Very nice to see it again
Thank you for saying and remembering that Mr. Skeuse. I purchased the gun about 4 years ago in used, but virtually new condition from a retired Doctor living in Tennessee. It is indeed a unique stock, kinda like vertical fiddleback under changing light conditions, but with a checkerboard effect instead.

Greg Baehman
01-26-2012, 04:01 PM
Greg, How about some closeups of the case colors?
Here you go Dave, when taking pics of this gun under artificial light the case colors appear to have a lot more straw color to them, these pics were taken under natural lighting.

Hey, you've got a Repro or two, don't you? How about you and others joining in on the fun? Come on boys, let's see 'em!

Dave Suponski
01-26-2012, 04:22 PM
Thanks Greg, I really like those case colors. I just have plain jane 28 gauge Q1/Q2 gun nothing special. But I will take some picture a little later and post them up.

Joe Bernfeld
01-26-2012, 06:39 PM
The butt of a DT/PG/BT/26" Q1/Q2 28 ga that my wife claimed for her own (not-quite-done oil refinish and checkering recut I did due to a broken stock; can you see the repair?), and a DT/SG/SPL/28" IC/Mod 12 ga (3"); my duck gun, with 14 3/4" LOP to boot :p!

Dave Suponski
01-26-2012, 07:54 PM
Gotta keep Greg's great thread going....:) Repro DHE 28 gauge 26" Q1/Q2 single trigger,pistol grip

Greg Baehman
01-26-2012, 08:27 PM
Joe, very pretty wood on both of your Repros, just as the vast majority of them seem to have and one of their characteristics that make for pride of ownership. If the stock in your top example was broken and repaired, it certainly is undetectable in your pic. Did you personally do the repair?

Dean Romig
01-26-2012, 09:07 PM
[QUOTE=Greg Baehman;61002]Dean's set, I have to believe is quite rare, as a matter of fact, I don't ever recall seeing an original same gauge 2-bbl. set, 26" & 28" bbls. with the same chokes before. Dean, do you prefer one barrel length over the other? =QUOTE]

If I can be completely candid, I prefer the 26" barrels for skeet stations 1, 7 and 8. For stations 2,3,4,5, and 6 I prefer the 28" barrels. The problem is... unless shooting a very casual round of skeet with very understanding squad members it is nearly impossible to lug the extra set of barrels around the course and change barrels depending on the station.
Sometimes I shoot the course with the 28" barrels but mostly I shoot the 26" barrels. The 26" barrels are by no means a handicap and I will usually choose to use them.

Larry Frey
01-27-2012, 08:30 AM
[QUOTE=Dean Romig;61061 it is nearly impossible to lug the extra set of barrels around the course and change barrels depending on the station.
[/QUOTE]

Just when you thought you heard every excuse in the book!:whistle:

Marvin Kells
01-27-2012, 09:01 AM
Speaking of beautiful wood, how about treating us to the money side of your A-1's stock as well as that little 28 2-bbl. set of yours?:corn:

OK, here are a few more photos of each. Click on them and they'll expand for a better view. :)
BTW, both have the long 14 3/4" LOP which fit me much better than the shorter versions.

Joe Bernfeld
01-27-2012, 09:10 AM
Joe, very pretty wood on both of your Repros, just as the vast majority of them seem to have and one of their characteristics that make for pride of ownership. If the stock in your top example was broken and repaired, it certainly is undetectable in your pic. Did you personally do the repair?
Thanks, Greg! Yes, I did the repair. The stock broke completely in 2 at the wrist, but with all the pieces intact. I was lucky, the repair is nearly impossible to see, except for 1 or 2 flat topped diamonds in the checkering.

Peter Clark
01-27-2012, 09:52 AM
I'll see what photos I have and maybe take a couple more and post later. Here is a comparison of my Brad Bachelder recolored 20ga and an original VH.

Peter Clark
01-27-2012, 10:07 AM
Here's my 28 ga proving they will kill ducks. Other photo is son Wyatt with 20ga Citori Gran Lightning on the same day.
Unfortunately we lost that dog, Cisco, last spring.

Peter Clark
01-27-2012, 01:12 PM
OK, here are a few more photos of each. Click on them and they'll expand for a better view. :)
BTW, both have the long 14 3/4" LOP which fit me much better than the shorter versions.

Marvin, Beautiful guns and beuatiful photos. You are taking professional grade pictures!

Marvin Kells
01-27-2012, 01:48 PM
Marvin, Beautiful guns and beuatiful photos. You are taking professional grade pictures!

Thanks for the compliment on the guns Peter, but I can't take credit for the photos. Coincidentally, I bought both of these guns from Cabela's in Buda Texas and, at the time, they were using a top notch professional photographer. Their website was much better then than now IMO, and the gun manager at the Buda store really knew how to showcase his guns!

Eric Eis
01-27-2012, 01:49 PM
Just when you thought you heard every excuse in the book!:whistle:

That's worse the Sporting Clay guys changing choke tubes at every station.....:rotf:

Peter Clark
01-27-2012, 02:11 PM
OK Boys, here are my 3 amigos in 12, 20, and 28 all wearing their long barrels today and a closeup of each in that order. I know, must have lost the extra triggers somewhere. More to follow!

Peter Clark
01-27-2012, 02:21 PM
And finally, a couple more of my favorite, the 12. Note barrel markings and chokes. This is a very versatile gun. Lengths are 28" and 26" as you might guess. The serial number does NOT contain SSS. It is a serious duck killer, In fact I made a tripple on gadwall with it once! One with the first barrel and two with the second as thery came in to my decoys.

Marvin Kells
01-27-2012, 02:38 PM
OK Boys, here are my 3 amigos in 12, 20, and 28 all wearing their long barrels today and a closeup of each in that order. I know, must have lost the extra triggers somewhere. More to follow!

What a beautiful set of Repros! One of them though, has a funny looking lump on the stock behind the trigger guard. What's up with that? :rotf:

Marvin Kells
01-27-2012, 02:38 PM
And finally, a couple more of my favorite, the 12. Note barrel markings and chokes. This is a very versatile gun. Lengths are 28" and 26" as you might guess. The serial number does NOT contain SSS. It is a serious duck killer, In fact I made a tripple on gadwall with it once! One with the first barrel and two with the second as thery came in to my decoys.

I can't believe you found a 12ga set with 26" Q1/Q2 barrels and 28" IC/M. I didn't know such a combo even existed! It is perfect! I want one too! :bowdown:

Peter Clark
01-27-2012, 02:50 PM
I can't believe you found a 12ga set with 26" Q1/Q2 barrels and 28" IC/M. I didn't know such a combo even existed! It is perfect! I want one too! :bowdown:

I don't think there are too many sets like that out there Marvin. Especially with BOTH barrels having 3" chambers.
Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in awhile.

Greg Baehman
01-27-2012, 06:18 PM
The "Just In Case" Repro...a 28-ga. DHE, 26" IC/M. I purchased this, my only single-triggered double, because I live in snow country. Because I live in snow country I own a snowblower. If you own a snowblower you undoubtedly are aware that accidents can happen when operating them. Every winter many, perhaps hundreds, lose their fingers when they stick their hand in the snowblower's chute to clear away clogged snow. Knowing this and being the super cautious person that I am, I have developed a technique where I tuck my trigger finger and wrap my thumb over it when sticking my hand in the chute to clear it out, so just in case I lose some fingers I will still have my one trigger finger--hence the gun's name..."Just In Case".

Besides the striking head-to-toe fiddleback, the cool thing about this stock is that it has two red grains that run longitudinally down both sides of it.

Dave Fuller
01-27-2012, 10:12 PM
Another Fiddle-Back

Dave Fuller
01-27-2012, 10:13 PM
I've posted this a bunch but it fits this thread.

Dave Fuller
01-27-2012, 10:18 PM
SCC that I sold, may have been a mistake.

Dean Romig
01-27-2012, 10:19 PM
That's worse the Sporting Clay guys changing choke tubes at every station.....:rotf:

You guys are ruthless.

Dave Fuller
01-27-2012, 10:22 PM
NSFL gun... kinda plain but its a two-barrel set.

Dean Romig
01-27-2012, 10:25 PM
The "Just In Case" Repro...a 28-ga. DHE, 26" IC/M. I purchased this, my only single-triggered double, because I live in snow country. Because I live in snow country I own a snowblower. If you own a snowblower you undoubtedly are aware that accidents can happen when operating them. Every winter many, perhaps hundreds, lose their fingers when they stick their hand in the snowblower's chute to clear away clogged snow. Knowing this and being the super cautious person that I am, I have developed a technique where I tuck my trigger finger and wrap my thumb over it when sticking my hand in the chute to clear it out, so just in case I lose some fingers I will still have my one trigger finger--hence the gun's name..."Just In Case".

Besides the striking head-to-toe fiddleback, the cool thing about this stock is that it has two red grains that run longitudinally down both sides of it.

Beautiful wood Greg.

As an aside, the owner's manual that comes with every snowblower specifically states that the operator must shut off the machine before attempting to clear the chute and other areas of accumulated snow.

Dave Fuller
01-27-2012, 10:31 PM
Best of all they kill birds... this 20ga repro has been all over the country with me, its had thousands rounds run through it, it never malfunctions, and it fits me like a bionic body part. I wish that who ever ends up with it could know all the joy that I have gotten from this gun. Many of my fondest memories with my friends were recorded with this gun in my hands. God bless your dad Richard, he did a great thing.

Greg Baehman
01-27-2012, 10:39 PM
As an aside, the owner's manual that comes with every snowblower specifically states that the operator must shut off the machine before attempting to clear the chute and other areas of accumulated snow.
I guess I don't have a future of becoming a comedian, eh?:banghead:

Dean Romig
01-27-2012, 10:51 PM
Of course you do. I think it's really very funny that so many people think they can beat the known odds of losing fingers to the spinning impellers of snowblowers and a "Just in case" gun or even a voice controlled computer keyboard are comical concepts. :biglaugh:

Eric Eis
01-28-2012, 10:02 AM

So Pete which one is Wyatt's gun....:rotf:

Peter Clark
01-28-2012, 12:12 PM
So Pete which one is Wyatt's gun....:rotf:

Eventually, all of them Eric. He likes to shoot the 28 ga for sporting clays and he did well at trap with the 12 ga recently. I shoot the leftovers.
...and, those 20's kill ducks too! This is mine before the face lift.

Rex Northen
01-29-2012, 04:45 PM
I loaded these pictures a few months ago after making a purchase decision, but here they are again - three barrel A1 set - 26" and 28" 20 gauge barrels and 28" 16 gauge (Krieghoff) barrels. Ken Hurst engraved and signed. Still don't know the full story on this gun, Ken thinks he did the work on the gun around '90 or '91, but I don't think many (any?) A1's were sold in the white around that time, so...

Marvin Kells
01-29-2012, 04:49 PM
I loaded these pictures a few months ago after making a purchase decision, but here they are again - three barrel A1 set - 26" and 28" 20 gauge barrels and 28" 16 gauge (Krieghoff) barrels. Ken Hurst engraved and signed. Still don't know the full story on this gun, Ken thinks he did the work on the gun around '90 or '91, but I don't think many (any?) A1's were sold in the white around that time, so...

Wow, beautiful gun! :shock:

Do the Krieghoff barrels have matching engraving and gold banding?

Rex Northen
01-29-2012, 04:55 PM
Wow, beautiful gun! :shock:

Do the Krieghoff barrels have matching engraving and gold banding?

None of the barrels have a gold band, but all barrel engraving (barrel ends and wedges) are identical and all three sets of barrels are serial numbered to the gun, have the machining and are marked "A1 Special Custom Shop, NJ"

Marvin Kells
01-29-2012, 04:59 PM
None of the barrels have a gold band, but all barrel engraving (barrel ends and wedges) are identical and all three sets of barrels are serial numbered to the gun, have the machining and are marked "A1 Special Custom Shop, NJ"

That last part explains it, so it is not likely to be one of the sets sold in the white. It is one of the Custom Engraved guns. Very, very, nice!

Dean Romig
01-29-2012, 05:45 PM
So, both Ken Hurst and Geoffroy Gournet worked in the A-1 Special Custom Shop... who else worked in that shop as a custom engraver?

(I was not aware that Ken engraved original finished A-1 Specials)

Bill Murphy
01-29-2012, 07:37 PM
I don't believe he did. He took on a couple of Tony's "white guns" a few years ago for private customers. I have no explanation for the markings. Maybe Ken has the story.

Kenny Graft
01-29-2012, 07:46 PM
About them snow blowers..A nabor lost 2 1/2 fingers removing snow from a pluged up snow blower......Yup is was not running either! As he pulled the last larg chunks of snow... the tork on the impeller allowed the blads to move forward 1/2 " cutting off 2 1/2 fingers. Always use a tool to remove snow from the blades!!!!

Peter Clark
01-29-2012, 08:52 PM

Very nice indeed!

Marvin Kells
01-30-2012, 08:14 AM
I don't believe he did. He took on a couple of Tony's "white guns" a few years ago for private customers. I have no explanation for the markings. Maybe Ken has the story.

Bill,

I'm sure you are correct about Ken. I read back through some literature and found a likely explanation.

Based on the Shot Show Newsletter (under New Arrivals), it appears that all the Custom Engraved guns were based on in-the-white, unengraved guns received from Japan. That would explain the markings.

Click to enlarge.

Rex Northen
01-30-2012, 12:20 PM
Bill,

I'm sure you are correct about Ken. I read back through some literature and found a likely explanation.

Based on the Shot Show Newsletter (under New Arrivals), it appears that all the Custom Engraved guns were based on in-the-white, unengraved guns received from Japan. That would explain the markings.

That's good information, thanks for sharing. I feel like there has to be an interesting story on this gun, but so far I haven't been able to get any real information. It is the only 16/20/20 A1 set that I've seen, wonder if there are any more?

Greg Baehman
01-30-2012, 02:15 PM
Here's my grouse and woodcock gun. 5 1/2 lbs. of pure joy!

Richard Skeuse
01-30-2012, 03:31 PM
Only Geoffory worked for us

Kenny Graft
04-16-2012, 08:23 AM
This was a very nice thread with some realy nice P.R. guns....but no B grades??/ I do not own a B grade to post pics...never could find a double trigger one....)-: Thanks all SXS ohio....

Greg Baehman
05-06-2012, 11:32 AM
Rex, I happened to be visiting this thread again and couldn't help but notice how stunningly beautiful the case colors are on your gun, they compliment the A-1 features perfectly. I recall Ken Hurst mentioning on many occasions of utilizing John Gillette's Classic Guns, Inc. services for casecoloring, so I'm assuming that's who applied them.

Rex Northen
05-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Thank you for the callout! I do now have a bit more information on the gun, thanks to a very kind forum member. It was one of the in-the-white sets sold to Galazan, Ken Hurst was the engraver (scratching, he calls it) and John Gillette did the case coloring. The case was hand-made/fitted by a retired doctor on the west coast. I've not been able to discover how many A1's had a 16 gauge barrel set, but it doesn't appear to be very many. Great pointing gun with good (but not perfect) dimensions for me - I just need to get it out on some birds and see what kind of partners the gun and I make!

ron belanger
05-06-2012, 03:31 PM
Rex, I happened to be visiting this thread again and couldn't help but notice how stunningly beautiful the case colors are on your gun, they compliment the A-1 features perfectly. I recall Ken Hurst mentioning on many occasions of utilizing John Gillette's Classic Guns, Inc. services for casecoloring, so I'm assuming that's who applied them.

My God...that's a "purdy" Parker...:)

Kenny Graft
05-07-2012, 07:00 AM
Rex...you will find the repro's all have high stock dementions and will shoot a tad high...Set the target fully on top the rib, that should do the trick....I shoot sporting clays and hunt wild birds. I have ajusted to shooting the repro's and have a hard time with my original lower stocked guns now. I have found three original parkers that are stocked hi and shoot them very well. I have sold off my low stocked guns and Im still looking for a hi grade 16 with a tightly choked left barrel for wild roosters in Kansas.... stock drop 1 3/8 by 2 3/8 works good for me now.... (-: love them repro's!!!!