PDA

View Full Version : Learning to relaod shot shells

Thomas Speight
01-22-2012, 08:48 PM
I'm new at reloading in general, therefore I'm trying to learn as much as possible before I actually start. I have some data sheets for reloads of 10 gauge shot shells that use the abbreviations "NC", "MR" and "FBS". With the possible exception of "NC" I really haven't found anything that matches the other two. I know they are talking about fillers, but would like to know exactly what they stand for. :rotf: After the laughing could someone kindly enlighten me. Thanks in advance for any help anyone will give me.

Frank Cronin
01-23-2012, 08:58 AM
MR is mylar wrap.

FBS I have no idea. I'm sure someone else does.

Dennis V. Nix
01-23-2012, 09:18 AM
I am guessing NC is for Nitro Cellulose powder but could be wrong.

Jack Kuzepski
01-23-2012, 12:33 PM
NC could mean "Nitro Card". The card that went over the powder before the filler/cushioning wads.

Jack Kuzepski

Richard Flanders
01-23-2012, 04:28 PM
NC does indicate nitro card

Pete Lester
01-24-2012, 03:43 AM
I'm new at reloading in general, therefore I'm trying to learn as much as possible before I actually start. I have some data sheets for reloads of 10 gauge shot shells that use the abbreviations "NC", "MR" and "FBS". With the possible exception of "NC" I really haven't found anything that matches the other two. I know they are talking about fillers, but would like to know exactly what they stand for. :rotf: After the laughing could someone kindly enlighten me. Thanks in advance for any help anyone will give me.

I assume you are looking at the short 10ga loads from Sherman Bell. If so he used the following abbreviations: NC = Nitro Card, MR = Mylar Wrap, FBS = Felt Blue Streak Wad (I believe this refers to the tradename Alcan Feltan Blue Streak). PSB = Precision Reloading Buffer Mat'l, BP= Ballistic Products Buffer Mat'l, x10x = plastic over powder card from Ballistic Products.

Bill Murphy
01-24-2012, 05:36 PM
Don't look for Alcan Felten Blue Streaks at your local gun store. Consider it to be a generic term for a felt filler wad. What you have to worry about is filling up the shell after inserting a plastic wad. Anyone's felt wad will be fine. Get a list from Circle Fly Wads in PA.