PDA

View Full Version : 8 gauge reloading

CraigThompson
01-20-2012, 05:02 PM
I'm curiouse as to where one can find wods , hulls and reloading tools for the 8 gauge ?

Also load recipes ?

I seem to remmember seeing a web page on the net a year or so ago of someone in Wyoming or Colorado that made a kit of sorts for loading 8 gauge shells . Think they also made or had brass hulls .

Any info is appreciatted !

calvin humburg
01-21-2012, 06:21 AM
Circle Fly Wads. Tell Craig Calvin sent you. PR or BPI may have some tools.

CraigThompson
01-21-2012, 12:09 PM
Thanks !

To be honest I was aware of BPI but after past experiences trying to deal with them , I do not try anymore .

CraigThompson
01-21-2012, 12:10 PM
What is PR ?

CraigThompson
01-21-2012, 12:41 PM
Hmmmm I'm a little slow this morning !

I assume "PR" is Precision Reloading ?

Fred Preston
01-21-2012, 01:13 PM
Google Rocky Mountian Cartridge.

calvin humburg
01-21-2012, 02:22 PM
Yes, I wasen't sure how to spell precision.

CraigThompson
01-21-2012, 04:42 PM
Google Rocky Mountian Cartridge.

Yes , thank you these were the folks I saw before that had a 8 gauge reloading kit !

charlie cleveland
02-03-2012, 12:51 PM
craig you dont need any thing fancyto load 8 ga shells...an old lee hand loader in 10 ga is fine except for thecrimping part then i bought a roll crimp from precision reloading..they also have all the compononts to load with at a fair price...they also sale 8 ga hulls but you will have to peel out the hulls as bill murphy discribed or find a resizing tool to do the job...or you can by hulls done rezized from tom armbrust... ive always got my hulls from tom done resized but ive been hunting a resizer with no luck yet...im going rite now and try bills method of peeling the brass off some remington hull destrey hoffard gave me.... charlie

charlie cleveland
02-03-2012, 08:33 PM
that peeling works bill...but i fond a faster and eaiser way.... and old set of car battert totin pliers tweaked a little bit work fine...i posted about the pliers on another thread shoulda put it on here...think yall like readin about the pliers... charlie

charlie cleveland
02-04-2012, 12:03 PM
fellas i was wrong in calling them batter pliers....my son informed me the pliers are really a set of plumber crimping tool for some kinda pipe they use...ive always thought they were battery pliars...well sorry for the mistake in names but i will find the proper name for them and post...will try a picture of them tonite...just done a hull in 15 secounds but i was hustling...with a lille bit of more tweaking these pliers can do what the dyes do in as short of time... charlie

CraigThompson
02-05-2012, 04:39 PM
I suppose I need to get myself an 8 gauge Parker before I start with the loading !

But I suppose in the overall spectrum of things it wouldn't hurt to be prepared in advance !

charlie cleveland
02-05-2012, 10:09 PM
craig you will like the old 8 ga s just wish the price on them were not so high...but there are some shooters out there but they will set you back more than 10 ga s but still affordable...back to reloading...takes very few tools get a set of these plumbers crimpers and order you some hulls and youall be a 8 ga man for life...one thing i always wanted more than an 8 was a 4 bore.... charlie

CraigThompson
02-06-2012, 01:30 AM
craig you will like the old 8 ga s just wish the price on them were not so high...but there are some shooters out there but they will set you back more than 10 ga s but still affordable...back to reloading...takes very few tools get a set of these plumbers crimpers and order you some hulls and youall be a 8 ga man for life...one thing i always wanted more than an 8 was a 4 bore.... charlie

I passed by within 80 miles or so of you saturday Charlie !

Wish I had been traveling alone as I would have made a detour !

While I was hunting in Arkansas I made a point of getting the game regs from AR , LA and MS .

The 4 bore is a bit over the top even for me :shock:

Now a nice old english 8 bore with Paradox would certainly be intresting !
We've had two of those go thru our shop in the last 2 years although I wasn't able to shoot either . One had a full kit with it for reloading buck or ball !

CraigThompson
02-06-2012, 01:35 AM
Charlie I've been hammrred plenty by 375's, 416's and even 505 Gibbs rifles . But the worst I ever got popped by a BIG GUN was a nice old Ruger #1H I had for awhile in 458 WIN MAG .

Now at the same time I had the Ruger #1H's I still have that are in 375 H&H MAG as well as 416 REM MAG . That 458 with a 500 grain bullet would flat knock the shite out of you compared to those other two .

Heck about that time I was working up a load for a friends CZ550 in 505 Gibbs and that one with a 525 grain bullet kicked nowhere near as bad as that 458 Ruger #1H !

But with all that said I would "expect" a 4 bore to recoil a good bit more then any of the ones I've messed with to date .

charlie cleveland
02-06-2012, 10:38 AM
craig i dont think the 4 bore would kick as bad as your ruger 458 on account of the weight of the 4 bore...boy them paradox guns have always interested me....ive never got to fire any of those old big rifles but ive got a 3 1/2 inch 12 ga single barrel new england gun that will make you gun shy with in a couple of rounds...some of these guns they make now are just to lite..if i shot a lot of them big kickers i would get me one of those stocks that got a shock built in it....i have fired a 3 ounce load of shot thru a 8 ga fa loomis and it will walk you backwards usally a step and a half some times 2 steps but the kick does not hurt you like thelite magnum 10 s and 12 ga will....im envious of you getting to shoot all them big bore rifles...wish you coulda swung by for a minute we woulda had good talk about guns and hunting.... charlie

charlie cleveland
02-06-2012, 10:41 AM
ps ive took some pictures of the plumbers pliars this morning will try to post shortly.... charlie

charlie cleveland
02-06-2012, 02:23 PM
hope they got thru this time... charlie

charlie cleveland
02-12-2012, 02:52 PM
well ive not found the proper name for the pipe crimpers yet but my son says there for 1/2 inch pipe.... were gonna try a 7 /8 drill bit through them ...think this will make them a little smoother inside andtake less times to grip down on handles.. hoping todo it in one squeeze no more than two....let yall no soon..... charlie

CraigThompson
02-12-2012, 08:25 PM
....im envious of you getting to shoot all them big bore rifles...wish you coulda swung by for a minute we woulda had good talk about guns and hunting.... charlie

Perhaps if I'm able to make the trip next year I can come a couple days early and slide by to to see you for a couple days and maybe even kill a deer if you know of some public spots I can hunt !

I'll drag along my 416 REM MAG and possibly my buddies 505 Gibbs for you to touch a couple off .
I have another friend with a nice C Sharps 1874 in 45-100 with a quality Malcolm type scope on top . Might see if he'd be willing to let me use that one down south next year ! And that would be legal in your state ! As would my hammer drilling with the two 16 gauge pipes and the 10.75x65R Collath rifle barrel :whistle:

charlie cleveland
02-12-2012, 10:53 PM
that would be great...i know of plenty places for you to hunt...boy that would be a privelidge to fire those cannons...that 45 100 would be good medicene on about any thing in my neck of the woods...and that drilling would be good also....just about gurantee you a shot on a deer of some kind... charlie