PDA

View Full Version : DH 1927 HOME PROJECT BEFORE AND AFTER

Jerry Harlow
01-15-2012, 10:37 PM
This DH had been severly abused in its lifetime. When I saw it, I thought it had been nickel plated. A drop of bluing revealed that someone had buffed the receiver until it was as bright as chrome. Obviously a lot of the engraving was lost. The barrels were severly pitted outside as was the receiver. The stock was full of oil, and had a crack at the wrist. It had holes in the bottom rib from a sling swivel attachment, and there was a hole just below the initial oval on the stock. There was a chip missing from the toe.

The only good was it was a DH, the barrels were 32" Titanic and were choked .021 and .041 at .736 both bores. Number 2 frame at 7 lbs. 15 oz., 14.25 LOP with about 3" drop. Removed as much pitting as I felt comfortable with on the outside of the barrels. They are still .028 and .030 minimum thichness. Soaked the oil out in laquer thinner and had a pro fix the crack, refinish the wood, and rechecker. Rust blued the barrels, nitre blued the trigger guard and buttplate and screws. Replaced the silver replacement sight with ivory and retimed the roll pin. I had the forend latch, dogs, grass, and Parker Bros. reengraved. Grayed the receiver to hide the pitting. It is now a shooter.

Brian Dudley
01-16-2012, 08:18 AM
Turned out pretty good. Very fine gun you have there!

Bill Murphy
01-19-2012, 11:53 AM
A few years ago, I bought the identical gun, except that it is a DHE. It was brown and pitted on the action and the interior was so full of gunk that the firing pins would not fall and the triggers would not return. It also had swivels like yours. I bought it in a local retail store for $1600. Dewey Vicknair cleaned out the inside and I cleaned the outside. However, I did no work on the wood to speak of, left the period swivels intact, and did not reengrave the receiver. Your gun is definitely nicer than mine. Who did your engraving?

Jerry Harlow
01-19-2012, 09:25 PM
Bill,

All of the hardware for the sling swivels was gone, they were not original anyway and the stock hole was drilled incorrectly just a fraction of an inch below the initial oval, so I only had three holes which were filled.

I sent the engraving work to Thierry Duguet. He does incredible work. It would not make sense to have this gun completely reengraved so Thierry just did the dogs, grass around the dogs, Parker Bros. and the forend latch since that had been buffed so much.

Check out his work: http://www.engraver.net/index.html

Bill Murphy
01-20-2012, 09:08 AM
I have known Thierry for many years. He did a wonderful engraving restoration on a sadly neglected prewar Browning Midas Grade. I selected him for the work because he is so experienced in gold inlay. My old Midas had quite a bit of missing gold. This gun is my most successful project. I purchased the gun for $1100 at a Baltimore auction. On my trips to his shop to check on the progress of the Browning, I would drop off a Craig Steketee skinner for him to decorate. I ended up with a great shotgun and three lovely engraved Damascus knives.

calvin humburg
01-21-2012, 07:32 AM
WOW!!! He's a hand.

John Hancock
01-22-2012, 09:23 PM
Make up a really nice shooter, bet you enjoy it.
Regards, John Hancock