PDA

View Full Version : .410 Repro Ejectors

Pat Dugan
01-15-2012, 09:08 PM
This has been my experience with the new .410 CSC Barrels as far as shooting and shell ejection. The chambers are very tight, only new shells and specially re sized reloads will seat correctly. I shot some reloads made from a MEC grabber that would not go into the chambers. I then used some old shells re sized in an old mec 600 and they worked fine so that tells me that the collect needs adjustment on the grabber. Even shooting new shells very few would eject correctly. I used 0000 steel wool on a brass brush and polished the chambers but no help. The shells are elevated enough to easily remove, being pushed out 1/2 inch. Most shells not usable in the Parker could be easily shot in a Browning 525 .410 and ejected.

What is your advice to make the ejection better?

thanks in advance

PDD

Greg Baehman
01-15-2012, 09:19 PM
Have you consulted with CSMC yet? If not, that's what I'd do.

Richard Skeuse
01-16-2012, 10:49 AM
Hi guys what does the top rib look like and is there any name on tha barrels? thanks

Richard Flanders
01-16-2012, 12:53 PM
No matter who made them I'd be taking a micrometer to the chambers and comparing them to the standards. If they aren't as they should be CSMC should remedy the situation. If they wouldn't do it I'd get a chamber reamer from Clymer in Michigan and do it myself. I got a very nicely made 12 ga rim recess reamer from them a few yrs back.

Bill Murphy
01-16-2012, 05:19 PM
If new shells work OK, your collet is not tight enough. I had one Model 42 Winchester that would not take MEC loaded shells, no matter what I did to the collet. I went to the PW 800B that sizes shells in a full length sizer and had no further problems. I wouldn't mess with the chambers if they will take new shells. A good resizer should bring your shells back to new dimensions. Keep the new shells you shoot in this gun separate when you load. That may solve the problem.

Richard Flanders
01-16-2012, 05:58 PM
You're right Bill. I must have missed that new shells worked ok.

Greg Baehman
01-16-2012, 08:29 PM
This has been my experience with the new .410 CSC Barrels as far as shooting and shell ejection. The chambers are very tight, only new shells and specially re sized reloads will seat correctly. I shot some reloads made from a MEC grabber that would not go into the chambers. I then used some old shells re sized in an old mec 600 and they worked fine so that tells me that the collect needs adjustment on the grabber. Even shooting new shells very few would eject correctly. I used 0000 steel wool on a brass brush and polished the chambers but no help. The shells are elevated enough to easily remove, being pushed out 1/2 inch. Most shells not usable in the Parker could be easily shot in a Browning 525 .410 and ejected.

What is your advice to make the ejection better?

thanks in advance

PDD
I've hi-lited in red what he said.

Pat Dugan
01-16-2012, 08:33 PM
Even with new 2 1/2 Winchester AA HS the gun would not eject the shells. Out of 25 maybe three ejected from the left barrel. This did not bother me so much as I catch the shells in most sXs to keep from picking them up, but I would like it to work correctly. I am to measure the chambers tomorrow with a micrometer. I was told that even at factories as a reamer gets older it begins to dull and cut a smaller chamber. What do you think is an acceptable measurement.

PS the 28 ga barrels eject 28 ga shells correctly

PDD

Chuck Heald
01-16-2012, 10:06 PM
Pat,
The drawing shows the cartridge on top and the chamber below. If it's not readable, I'll email it to you.

Minimum dia at the back of the chamber is .476" and .458 at the front end.

Yes, most manufacturers will continue to use a reamer after it begins to dull. My Beshi NID copy had really tight chambers, clearly from a over used and probably resharpened chamber reamer. I bought a Clymer reamer "drilled it out" and life was good again. I also lengthened my forcing cones with a thing Bill calls a drill but is really a custom made reamer I had a friend in the cutter industry make for me. It cuts a 3" long forcing cone in a .410. Then I polish the hell out of the forcing cone. If I ever get my barrels from CSM, I'll lengthen the cones (to reduce recoil of course:rotf:) as soon as I ensure they are fitted and functioning correctly.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c125/roaniecowpony/410chamber.jpg

Richard Flanders
01-16-2012, 10:23 PM
Nice. From Clymer I see. Is that showing a diameter of .4811" just in front of the extractor rim Chuck? I wouldn't hesitate to use their chamber reamer if I needed it. The reamer I got from Clymer cut barrel steel cleanly and like butter. They are good and not far from where I grew up.

Chuck Heald
01-16-2012, 10:58 PM
Rich,
Yes, .481 nominal (+/- .005) just in front of the rim, drawing from Clymer. My Clymer .410 reamer cut the Beshi (ICD NID) barrels nicely and easily. It took all of a couple minutes a chamber.

I ordered my CSM .410 barrels full/full. Carol said she'd write it down on the order that way but couldn't guarantee it. I told her the tubes are likely full choked when assembled and probably aren't reamed to M/IC until later. Hell, I may just have them screwchoked on this gun anyway. It's not a collectable and even less so with these aftermarket barrels.

Bill Murphy
01-17-2012, 08:42 AM
I have used the Clymer 28 gauge full chamber and rim recess reamer that belongs to one of our members. It is a wonderful tool, hand operated, cuts like butter and takes about a minute. It does everything from the forcing cone to the rim recess. You may not even notice a chip, I didn't.

Chuck Heald
01-17-2012, 05:13 PM
Having the reamers and headspace gauges for .410 and 28g has been worth the cost to me. That Beschi had both, tight chambers and tight headspace. The only caution I have is that if you don't have some knowledge of how to operate a reamer like this, you can damage the reamer by turning it backward or you can cut the chambers too deep and make the headspace loose enough to cause misfiring.

Gerry Addison
01-17-2012, 05:49 PM
Just came across these on Trapshooters.com and thought you might be interested:

Subject: F/S 410 barrel hone polishers
Email:
Date: Tue, Jan 17, 2012 - 05:14 PM ET
Website Address:
Brownell's barrel and chamber hones. One is chamber the other two are for a barrell. They are color coded (2)blue and (1)red. I imagine the blue are fine or extra fine and the red is Medium. Lengths are 34, 12 and 16 inch. I think I shortened the red so I could use it easer on the chokes and chamber. They run around fifty a piece new and these are close to new as I used them once. $45.00 for all three shipping included

Chuck Heald
01-17-2012, 06:01 PM
Gerry,
I would use a good chamber reamer before I tried to hone out enough for proper function. The hone would be good for smoothing it up after reaming. The problem with a hone and a chamber is that you run a higher risk of messing up the chamber by flaring the end near the rim. This will cause your brass to swell and make for difficult reloading. I know this because I had a .410 that someone flared the chamber in this manner. I still haven't completed that chamber sleeving job. The chamber reamer will do the job quickly and safely. I do have some Flex-hone hones for the chamber and bore of 410 and 28g, but I wouldn't/didn't approach tight chambers with honing because of this.

Bill Murphy
01-17-2012, 06:41 PM
I guess if new shells don't work, the solution is to go back to Tony.

Gerry Addison
01-17-2012, 06:44 PM
I understand, just saw it and thought it might help. I would send back to Galazan and let them resolve the problem. It shouldn't have left their shop that way.

Pat Dugan
01-17-2012, 09:20 PM
In answer to one question, the barrels only mark in any place is .410 3" ....picture attached. no made in USA no marks other than .410 3"

Left chamber measurements .4745,, .4780,, .4730,, .4750,, 4785

Right Chamber measurements .4760,, .4730,, 4790,, 4755,, 4785

I have not used a mic very much, but this might mean that the chamber is a Little elliptical not a perfect circle.

I guess I will send them back for a little adjustment toward the .4811 figure that is the standard. I am sure the customer service at CSMC will be as good as I have had in the past

PDD

Chuck Heald
01-17-2012, 09:57 PM
Pat,
Did you inquire with the gunsmith you used locally? If he is indeed local, it might be something he'd do very inexpensively if he has the reamer.

Pat Dugan
01-17-2012, 10:23 PM
He lives in Ellijay about 4.5 hours away from Albany so I would have to ship and to ship back to CSMC, its is not any more trouble and they cant say that I messed them up.

PDD

Chuck Heald
01-17-2012, 11:50 PM
Understood. Back to CSM is the best

Pat Dugan
01-18-2012, 09:50 PM
I talked with Carol? at CSMC about opening the chambers so the shells would eject better and she could not have been nicer. I told how well the barrels were fitted to the forend and receiver and how satisfied I was with the quality. She said send them back and it would be taken care of.

New price is $3995.00 with a lot of interest. I told her that the American Market is geared toward instant gratification, and related to her that a friend that has some dealings with Purdy and that with them you just have to wait your turn for quality and that I was glad to have waited for the CSMC Quality.

PDD