PDA

View Full Version : new member with an old parker

Mike Phelps
01-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Hi,

My name is Mike and I found this forum late last year trying to find some information out about an old Parker side by side hammerless shotgun that has been in my family for quite some time.

I have attached pictures, but here is what I believe is correct.
SN - 103296
The serial number matches on the action, barrel and forend. Using that it appears to have been built in 1901. I'm pretty sure it is a Grade 0 VH.

The barrels are marked Vulcan Steel. On the water table (I believe that is the correct name) it is stamped:
Pat'd Jan 18 Aug 16 1887
May 7 - Oct 8 1889
V

I have already joined the PGCA and ordered a report for it.

The downside to this gun is it has cracked at the wrist and been repaired several times. In reading other posts on the forum I've talked to both Don at Show Me and Dewey at Vicknair. A restoration at Vicknair is out of the question price wise, but I believe I can swing getting it restocked by Don.

I did try and follow the FAQ on dissassembly but was unable to remove the trigger plate. I didn't want to try a lot of force.

I'm looking to learn a lot more about it. If anyone needs any other pictures or info, please let me know.

Mike

Chuck Bishop
01-05-2012, 05:19 PM
Mike,

Yes you have a VH grade Parker.

I agree with you that a new stock is the way to go and Show Me Gunstocks can do a nice job for you. Donnie should be able to select the proper grade of wood for your VH. It also looks like the barrel has some external pitting at the breech. You may want to have the barrels looked at but that's just cosmetic.

On taking the trigger plate off, have you:
1 Taken the barrels off
2 Unscrewed the trigger guard
3 Taken out the screw on the lower trigger tang? It screws into the top tang at the very end of the tang.
4 Taken out the large screw on the top tang
5 Taken out the 3 trigger plate screws.

This should allow the trigger plate to come out sometimes by just grabbing the triggers and wiggling back and forth. If not, try going down into the receiver well with something like a brass rod or wooden dowel and lightly tapping the trigger plate until it loosens up.

Remember that the trip and spring can fall out when the trigger plate is removed and easily lost if your not careful

Good luck!

edgarspencer
01-05-2012, 05:30 PM
Hi Mike, and welcome to the PGCA. As I did, you will find that this is an assembly of the most knowledgeable and friendly bunch of guy.
Like you, I am enjoying the journey; my winter project is putting a 20 ga. VH back to it's original configuration. If I could make a suggestion; look the the number stamped on the bottom of the rear barrel lug. That is the frame size. With that, post a want for a good used VH stock for that size. Your old gun will look correct, with an age appropriate piece of wood.
I did just this and got many replies, so the used wood is out there. All of the stocks I have been offered are from later guns than mine, which is about the same vintage as yours. As was obvious, and well explained, using a later stock is accomplished by relieving a bit of (internal) wood on the end of the headstock, to accommodate the earlier style hammers and lever spring.
Again, welcome to the group.

Mike Phelps
01-06-2012, 06:34 AM
Thanks, i will try both of those suggestions.

Thomas L. Benson Sr.
01-06-2012, 07:44 PM
Mike: congrats on the VH. I just want you to use the proper screwdrivers when working on your gun because you can do alot of damage if you use ones that don't fit. Thomas

Mike Phelps
01-08-2012, 04:56 PM
just a quick note, i was able to get the water table out and the receiver seperated from the stock. I'll try and post some pictures later, this stock has definitely been repaired more than once. I do have a set of wheeler screws and was very careful not to bugger any of the screws, i know some of the look very bad.

Mike Phelps
01-10-2012, 09:49 AM
Attached are some more photos dissassembled. I'm curious what the stock on a good VH is supposed to look like. This does appear to be missing a lot of wood.

I am planning on cleaning this the best I can with Hoppes, then putting on a light coat of eezox. I'm not going to touch stock and hope I can find a used one or get one made.

edgarspencer
01-10-2012, 10:40 AM
Other than a good cleaning, nothing horrible jumps out at me. A toothbrush and spray brake cleaner is one way, or if you have an ultrasonic cleaner, they work good too. Be sure you save the tang screw bushing and safety from your old stock, and save the old stock for a pattern, as you'll likely find a newer one that needs to be modified to fit. If it were me, I'd wait to find a good used one, rather than a new piece of wood that will scream "new".

Mike Phelps
01-10-2012, 12:52 PM
Thanks. Hopefully I can find a used one. Any ideas on where to look other than here? I missed out on the East Coast Fine Arms show.

Richard Flanders
01-10-2012, 02:30 PM
The inside of that gun isn't anywhere near as bad as some I've seen. Just needs a good cleanup. I use lacquer thinner to cut that old oil and grease. It will cut just about any kind of grunge. You can fit the entire receiver into a large enough jar full that has a good lid seal and put the lid on and let it sit for days than brush it off with bronze brushes.

CraigThompson
01-14-2012, 10:04 PM
Thanks. Hopefully I can find a used one. Any ideas on where to look other than here? I missed out on the East Coast Fine Arms show.

Go to the Baltimore Gun Show at Timmonium in early March or April I forget which month it is !

Mike Phelps
01-21-2012, 10:04 AM
In talking with various outfits to rebuild a stock, i've decided to send it to Vicknair's restorations. I will post pictures when it eventually returns! I really can't wait.

Brian Dudley
01-26-2012, 01:39 PM
That buttstock looks like it has seen it's best days a long time ago. It would be best to treat that VH to a new one.