PDA

View Full Version : New Member from Illinois with 1901 Parker

charliebishop
01-02-2012, 12:26 PM
Hi, My name is Charlie Bishop and I live in Deerfield, Illinois. I am a retired
radio salesman and am 81. Like many of you I was also in the service, USN
from 1951-55. I have been a hunter since a teenager and have a lovely old Parker that was my grandfather's, so it's at least 110 years old. It's in near perfect shape, and is a Parker G grade 12 gauge double barrel shotgun. There is some beautiful scrolling with a duck on one side and pheasant on the other side. It has a 32 inch barrel and a checkered butt. The serial number is 214453 and on the gun itself it says Papd (assume that means patent pending) May 7, 1901. Again, it's in near perfect condition. It was last used in the 60's for duck hunting.

I know this is not a site for selling guns but only to discuss them--- I was showing this gun to my grandson who was very curious about it and was just trying to determine what the approximate value of a gun like this might be.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? If someday I did find it desirable to sell the gun, where would I inquire?

Thanks, Charlie Bishop

Mark Ouellette
01-02-2012, 12:41 PM
Hi Charlie,

Welcome the the Parker Gun Collertor's Association web site and forum. Hopefully if you passed your Parker to your grandson he would some decades from onw do the same.

Your GH was made in 1925 and should have automatic ejectors and a capped pistol grip stock along with the 32" barrels that you listed.

We do have a section of this forum for PGCA members where they may sell their Parkers and other fine shotguns and collectables. The $40 membership fee is usually made back in their first sale. Our for sale section in not an auction. One must state their price. If smart, they may do that after obtaining their fellow member's opinions of how much their Parker is worth. When you deal with a PGCA member buying your Parker, you have a 99.9% chance that there will be no issues. A deadbeat would not last long in this crowd!!!

If you desire opinions concerning how to quantify your Parker's condition, rarity, and price, please shoot detailed photos of the entire gun to include:
1. Muzzle of the barrels (capturing the bead and end of the top rib and where the barrels meet as if you were looking into them),
2. Barrel flats and action's watertable (flat areas where the barrels and action / receiver meet. Make sure others can read the writings and codes marked on both.
3. Anywhere the wood meets the metal
4. Butt plate
5. Barrel ejectors or extractors
6. Overall photos of the barrels, receiver and stock and forend.

Post your photos is a forum thread that you start and ask for people to help. It is really that simple!

Here's a video of how to post a photo to a forum thread:
http://parkerguns.org/pages/faq/DemoMovie/PlayUploadPictureVedio.html

If you need more help just ask!

PS: Thank you for you Naval Service.

Mark

Jack Cronkhite
01-03-2012, 07:18 PM
Welcome Charlie. You are at the right place to determine more information about your gun than you may have thought possible. There are very many very knowledgeable folks here. Many also believe a family gun is a treasure, no matter the grade or condition. Some of us have a soft spot in our heart (maybe head too) for keeping a multi-generational Parker going on within the family. I'm one of those guys. If that is not possible, you will surely find a close estimate of value and some honest people to deal with right here. More than worth the price of membership. You can also order a research letter for your gun. The serial number shows there are surviving factory records, which give a bit more information than the configuration of the gun when shipped from the factory. If you can post some pictures as suggested, the opinions will begin to flow.

Like you, I've been hunting from an early age - pretty much since I could walk afield with my Dad. I have his Parker V grade. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your family treasure.

All the best for the New Year to an old salt from a slightly younger upstart.

Cheers,
Jack

Chuck Bishop
01-04-2012, 03:31 PM
Welcome Charlie. Good thing you don't go by the first name of Chuck:eek:

Hopefully you or your grandson can post pictures. Try to have them in focus and as close to the gun as possible

Chuck Bishop