PDA

View Full Version : 10ga reloaders

Paul Harm
01-02-2012, 11:05 AM
I took a old 12ga Mec 761 grabber and convered it to 10ga. Mec doesn't offer a progressive reloader for 10ga and a buddy ask if it could be done. The grabber had bad fingers on the resizing station, and just paying $80 for some new ones on another one I had, I wasn't going to up grade a second reloader so I just bent them open to accept a 10ga shell. This change could be done easier on a 650. I then removed the indexing plate and carefully ground it to accept a 10ga shell. On my old machine the base has a ridge cast in to keep the shells in place - this also had to be ground bigger. The new machines have a metal ring riveted on that could be made bigger. Also, the inner washers have to be ground. Once you can get a shell to slide around [ took me about 3 tries of grinding, assembling / taking back apart to get it right ] the 10ga dies from a 600jr can be put on and adjusted to make shells. You won't have the final/final crimp station like on the 650, but the 600 doesn't have one anyways. For any of you guys who have to have [ like another hole in the head ] a progressive reloader for a 10 and have an extra 12ga reloader and some time with a Dremal tool - you to can have one. Paul

CraigThompson
01-14-2012, 05:23 PM
I'm an old PW reloader from way back . However when I wanted to start loading 10 gauge 2 7/8" I just got a MEC 600JR along with a short kit and got down to buisness .

I maybe shoot 300 rounds of 10 gauge 2 7/8" a year so progressive really isn't necessary when you take into account maybe 25-40 rounds of that are 00 Buck .

I did however think it might be nice some day to get a progressive for the 2 7/8" 10 gauge .

If and it's a big IF !
If I ever decide to go progressive whit the short 10's I think I'll give PW a call and see if they can make me an 800 in 10 gauge 2 7/8" . Also be nice of they could make me 800's in 2 1/2" for the 12 , 16 and 20 while they're at it :whistle:

Paul Harm
01-16-2012, 11:21 AM
Probably that's why so many like the Mec progressive, you can load the 2 1/2, 2 3/4, or 3" all on the same press. Paul